Bright red blood

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
mka
New User

Bright red blood

Postby mka » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Was hoping to get some advice/reassurance. I am currently 3.5 weeks out from 14 days of 125mg Vancomycin 4x/day. I have been taking Cholestyramine for the past week for continued loose stool and that seems to have helped firm things up and I am down to 2-4 bowel movements per day. My concern is that over the past 4 days I have had increasing amounts of bright red blood in the toilet and on top of my stool each time I go to the restroom. Most recently the entire toilet was red. I still continue to have tons of bizarre white seeds in my stool each time as well. I am going to call my GI physician's office tomorrow. Any suggestions on what I should be asking? Should I do a PRP stool study (despite not having diarrhea) or ask for a colonoscopy? I am concerned about doing one this close to my recent infection. Thank you so much for your help!

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Bright red blood

Postby OCmama » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi! I still have bleeding and I’m 7 months out :-/ C. Diff seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.

I was referred to a rectal surgeon, he examined me (good times), and said the bleeding was from the trauma off going so much/hemmroids/small fissure). He said with time and watching my diet (enough fiber), it should eventually heal on its own... it is a lot better than it was, right after the C. Diff I would have a lot of blood even when I went pee.

Edited to add- he offered up the option of shooting Botox in my rectum. I said no thanks.

mka
New User

Postby mka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 am

Oh heck! Let's hope that none of us end up needing Botox in the rectum! I am so sorry that you are dealing with bleeding 7 months later. This site continues to remind me that it is good to know that you're not alone and I so appreciate your sharing your story with me. It is comforting and I'm not as worried now. Guess I'll just stop looking in the toilet..as I've read on here several times as well. I hope that your healing speeds up a bit from here on out! Thank you again!

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Bright red blood is most likely hemorrhoids (mine were internal and when aggravated could bleed quite a bit) and/or an anal fissure. I would mention this to your doctor who should be able to check for both easily if s/he deems it necessary.

mka
New User

Postby mka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:19 pm

I am hoping that is the case and thank you! Sure does put my worrying mind at ease to read your post. Crazy how much time and energy I have put into what goes into the toilet over the past 3 months. I am waiting for a return call GI doc and so appreciate your help!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Happy you put that call in, when there is any change or blood you should run it past your GI, they need to know what is going on while you are being treated and recovering.
Feel better soon!

NanciT

mka
New User

Postby mka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:21 pm

Thank you so much Nancy! I sure appreciate it!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 pm

I would see a colon/rectal surgeon (formerly called proctologist). He/she can look into the rectum with a small scope (like 4 or 5 inches) and see if there is a tear or hemorrhoids.

mka
New User

Postby mka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Good idea Beth! I still haven't heard back from my GI doc so I will ask about that when they call. Still having periodic bright red blood. Can't wait for this to end one day. Ugh.

Return to “Too Much Information”