Fecal Incontinence

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Fecal Incontinence

Postby OCmama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Don’t give up hope! Maybe it is PI-IBS? I have some days where I think it is back. If the mucus continues and you keep feeling bad probably good to do a test.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Yeah.. for now I'm just trying to stay hydrated and make t until tomorrow. I do believe my GI will get me in asap. It's just hoping I make it until then.
The mucus stopped again.. then I tried eating and now I feel really nauseous, dizzy, and still having the feeling I need to go 24/7. Still having normal bms though.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:03 am

Try some bone broth for hydration and nutrition , it also has calming effect for the gut.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:34 am

When I used to get M after c diff, Pepto Bismol helped me. You could ask the doctor about it.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Got a call back from my GI and picked up a stool kit to submit. Should have results in 3 days.... I hate waiting.
So far today no mucus. Just yesterday shook me up bad.
Brought me back to a bad mental place again where I am afraid to eat or drink.
I do have a follow up appt next week to go over result and PI IBS and food intolerances. GI is concerned I'm still not able to expand as I'm "young" (I'm starting to hate this response).

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm going to recommend this book to you too.

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Bet-Agains ... ence+afrin

I would ask your doctor about colestipol tablets or Metamucil. One person who was a moderator here in the past developed mucus colitis after C diff and was helped by taking Metamucil. I also get great results from pepto bismol when I have gut issues, and my doctors all said it is safe to take for occasional ibs flares.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 pm

I read that we shouldn't take pepto as it could possibly disrupt the gut flora? Is there at truth to this?
Prior to c diff I took pepto often for morning GI issues (I had IBS prior) but I'm terrified to use it since reading that!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:22 am

Questran or colestipol will not affect your new transferred bacteria , you could ask for one of those two binding agents when IBS flares.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 am

Zapper I've never heard of Pepto disrupting the gut flora, but I would ask your doctor about taking it. May I ask where you read that??

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:01 pm

I was trying to find the thread cause I thought I saw it originally on this site but now I can't find it. Either way, my GI told me not to take pepto or Imodium as the colon can become toxic/spores will grow?
Granted I have been in a constant state of relapse and treatment. Not sure how it effects "recovery" if I am actually in recovery.

Maybe it is different once c diff is not active??

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:18 pm

While you should never take Immodium with c diff, it does not cause the spores to grow. It stops the D completely, which can lead to toxic megacolon, because the toxins are not leaving your body.

There have been studies which show bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto) has antibacterial activity against c diff. Many doctors tell their patients to take Pepto along with their other meds they take for it, and even after they have FMT.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:22 am

I just read that Pepto Bismol can bind up toxins and carry them out. I asked my GI and he said this was true. When I tested positive for c diff before, but did not have D, I was told to treat with Pepto and I took it every day for a few weeks and subsequently tested negative. I did not take much, but I took it twice a day I think it was. Check with your doctor. If you don't have c diff, it usually helps with IBS symptoms.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Test confirmed negative. Started a new thread with questions on new medication prescribed.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:07 am

From what I understand, mucus (and even mucus alone) is common with IBS. I still have it occasionally and can usually connect it with "trigger" foods that seem to still aggravate my colon like tomato sauce or excess dairy. Had an episode this week, actually, so went back to a more bland diet and that seems to have done the trick. Glad to hear your negative test result and maybe a food diary may help pinpoint what causes upset/mucus.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:51 am

Great news Zapper. Will look for your new thread.

Return to “Too Much Information”