Fecal Incontinence

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Fecal Incontinence

Postby Zapper » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:57 pm

I am just curious on this one... wondering if it's just me.
When I am relapsing... or I have learned with my more serious bouts of PI-IBS, I seem to have fecal incontinence.
Sometimes I can barely make it to the bathroom in time as it comes quickly. But this is only with mucus (TMI).
Is this common? Or is this something I should bring to the GIs attention since I am still having issues 7 weeks post 2nd FMT?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fecal Incontinence

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:03 am

I would contact your GI If you are 7 wks Post FMT they need to know about this.

Sorry you are having these issues!!

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:06 am

I got that with the M also and knew it was a relapse. I would tell your doctor. I did not have IBS prior to c diff, so I don't know if that is common for that.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:03 am

It's midnight here and I went again (only mucus) no urgency or anything. Starting to get really worried.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:09 am

If you are having several mucus attacks per day , you should get tested , at least for you peace of mind. All my relapses were starting with 1-2 days of frequent clear mucus discharges and after mucus stopped the D would hit. I've tested the mucus and it came back positive for both toxins A and B.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:22 am

So sorry you're dealing with this, Zapper. I would definitely bring it up to your doc and test, hopefully for peace of mind. While some folks get mucus with relapses, I have a few friends who are post c diff a couple years and get mucus only episodes every now and then...but for them it's not c diff, it's part of the post-infectious IBS. Even folks who have never had c diff but have IBS can get just mucus. I'm a little over two years post c diff myself and I've seen mucus several times in that time frame, usually with my stool, but it subsided. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:46 am

I am really trying to avoid going to the doc/ER. I am starting a new job next week and of course my insurance isn't active and I haven't gotten my cobra info. So everything will need to be paid cash. Which we don't have as we have depleted our savings from the past 2 FMTs and various treatments.
I am at a loss. I'm scared to go cause I'm afraid of the positive test and the confirmation of yet again another failed treatment.
I keep waiting for it to stop....

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 pm

I am so sorry that you are going through this!!! This disease is an absolute nightmare. I am praying for you and sending good thoughts.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:44 pm

I called the on call doc and said to try to wait until Monday to see my GI. The mucus stopped and now I've gone about 4-5 times with small to medium forms bms.
I sure hope that this was just a major food intolerance.

What does it sound like to you guys??

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Sounds like a form of fairly normal.
You should be cautious about calling it fecal incontinence to your Dr.
They would take that to mean passing stool without any control and being unaware you needed to go.
That's a long way from having to go urgently.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Roy,
The mucus is incontinence. I wear a depends once I know it's happening since most of the time I don't get to the bathroom in time. This doesn't happen with stool as most of the time I do not have D and make it to the bathroom for the "formed" bms.
Once the M stopped today (past 3 bms have been only stool), the incontinence stopped and I had a few normal bms. They are still very frequent and so far I've had 10 episodes today which is pretty high for my recovery.
It's hard to tell if I should be concerned or happy it seems to not look like a typical relapse and maybe it's just IBS with an unknown trigger.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Zapper, I would retest. The uncontrollable mucus oozing out is what happened to my daughter during her relapses.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:44 pm

OCmama, was the M constant? Or would it stop and start again hours later?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:57 pm

It would come and go through the day. She would be doing something and then freeze and start crying and her pull up would be filled with mucus. When she would poop her stool was formed, but with tons of mucus, foul odor and flecks of blood.

There were also times in her treatment and relapse where her stool was fluffy and mucusy. It looked exactly like carrot soufflé.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Oh wow.... I really hope that isn't the case for me. But it sure does seem like it. The M stopped for a little. I've had so many bms I've lost count. All formed/some soft but no D. M has come and gone. There will be an hour where I think I'm feeling better... then the next hour I'm in and out of the bathroom with pains and bms.
I still haven't been able to eat today. Will try some plain toast. Ugh.

Return to “Too Much Information”