Post-infection IBS or just C Diff..same symptoms

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
mka
New User

Post-infection IBS or just C Diff..same symptoms

Postby mka » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:21 pm

I am 2 weeks out from 2 weeks of Vamcomycin. Went to my GI doc today and am even more confused. He seems to think that I might still have active C Diff. The symptoms that send me in for help initially are still the same symptoms that I have at this point (loss of appetite, nausea, belching, mild/moderate abdominal cramps, 5-6 small yet somewhat formed stool per day with LOTS of seed like objects in it) and are worse in the morning. The cramps and rumbling do keep me awake at night. I have never had watery D or blood throughout this 3 months long process. Would you re-test and take a Vanc taper if re-test is positive or pay big bucks for Dificd with these sxs OR should I assume it's IBS and just stay the course with probiotics and cholestytamine?

Thank you so much in advance for any and all advice. C Diff is horrible and I so appreciate the support!
Last edited by mka on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post-infection IBS or just C Diff..same symptoms

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Vanco never did much for me and I wound up having FMT. Dificid does have an assistance program - the information is listed on the site in the CDI section. I probably would look into that if I was going to treat. But, I definitely wouldn't take any meds unless I had a positive test.

mka
New User

Postby mka » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks Beth! If Vanco didn't do the trick for you did you bother to take it or any other antibiotic before the FMT? I was thinking I might just try a home FMT if I come back positive but am unsure if it would work if I didn't pre-treat with antibiotics.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:10 am

Yes, I did take vanco before the FMT originally, but I have done home FMTs without using any antibiotics. Sometimes just Pepto Bismol. Sometimes nothing. Depends on the symptoms.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:19 am

At this point it can be IBS or a very mild Cdiff infection but you need to get tested first to make sure , you do not overtreat. Home enemas are a good idea but they need to be done under a doctors supervision with a tested donor and , usually a course of antibiotics is needed prior to the infusion, also a cleanse to make sure you got rid of the pathogenic bacteria.

mka
New User

Postby mka » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 am

Thank you both so much for your advice. We are headed out of town today (of course I am so nervous and am praying that I can enjoy myself and my kids on our family vacation) and guess I will get tested when I get home. Keep telling myself it could be worse and this will eventually come to an end.

Return to “Too Much Information”