For those of you who recovered, question about returning to normal function

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Aurora88
Regular User

For those of you who recovered, question about returning to normal function

Postby Aurora88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi there,
I've been "recovered" or you could say "cured" of my C diff infection for about... 7 months now. In general I have made great strides in recovery, and can eat most things again and not worry so much. I'm back to a regular schedule of about 1x a day, maybe every other day, to maybe 2x a day.
However C diff really was a pain and so while I'm...a good 95% or so back to my old self, I'm curious to see if anyone else here has run into a similar situation after healing.

First one was fissures. I developed that and extreme itching that lasted for months before finally my doctors helped me get it under control. All that trauma of repeated D and excessive wiping did damage it seems. Even now I still have a mild case of fissures and I wonder if that will ever go away.

Second is I just can't seem to return to my pre-C diff styled bm. I have to wipe 50X and rely heavily on wet wipes, especially with the fissures still looming. Every once in a blue moon I don't need them and its worth celebrating. Its well formed, but quite long and doesn't really properly terminate most times, leading to a clean up mess. I tend to fluctuate between real messes and almost my old self normal. Is this just continued healing? Or did anyone else experience this and call it a new normal? Did you find anything helped you to fix it? In general I still eat healthy and try to avoid dairy (though I can do harder cheeses and yogurt just fine I find) and avoid greasy, fried, or heavily processed foods, and only have a little bit of wine every other month or so. I'm just afraid I'm going to be relying on wetwipes forever!

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Re: For those of you who recovered, question about returning to normal function

Postby ResearchGrandma » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:56 pm

For me, more than 4 years past, my BMs have stayed more frequent and soft. I keep bottles of witch hazel handy in the bathroom, and use the witch hazel with regular toilet paper instead of wet wipes.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Aurora88, I am right there with you :-/ I was diagnosed November, finished Dificid mid-December, still having problems with fissures and pretty much everything you mentioned.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:20 pm

In a similar boat and have been cured since mid-December so just over 6 months and only in the last 2-3 weeks have I consistently been going around once a day but my movements are also softer and "stickier" then they were pre-c.diff. While I find it annoying, just count my blessings that it is not c.diff and just deal with it and move on. I might return to full normal, eventually, but if not that's fine too.

~Lauren

Aurora88
Regular User

Postby Aurora88 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Good to know I'm not alone. Thanks for the replies, I hope we do return to normal and yes, I am thankful that its not C diff!

kmjack
New User

Postby kmjack » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:49 am

Mine is still not normal. Caught it in May and went through two rounds of flagyl. Still getting some normal stool once or twice a day and then also days that it is just mucus. Still thinking it is normal and my doctor is just guessing it it ibs.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:40 am

Metamucil capsules help. You can order them from Amazon. Start with one per day or one, twice a day. The bottle recommends taking several, but that caused major gas for me, and one or two per day was all it took.

Aurora88
Regular User

Postby Aurora88 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks I will try the metamucil and see how that goes. And kmjack, the first 3 months or so into recovery I had what you had. Any little amount of sugar or fat would result in a lot of M and sometimes normal stool. It eventually went away and the dr said it was normal for healing. I guess your colon is just super fragile and easily irritated during that initial recovery time. If you dont like the M, just eat super healthy and carefully.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:55 pm

I developed a fissure and I used Manuka honey and a prescription compound ointment from my GI that does not induce headaches...After about a month my fissure was healed....I am still careful and use the Manuka honey if I feel any pain during a bathroom visit...
Scott

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Sorry..... I forgot to mention I also started to eat ground flax seed to soften my stools.....It sure worked....A 2nd benefit has been that my stools have become consistently "normal" and have been ever since.....
Scott

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:34 am

I will second the Manuka Honey, I did a lot of research on it and it has worked for me. Make sure to get UMF 15+ from New Zealand if you try it

NanciT

Aurora88
Regular User

Postby Aurora88 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am

Thank you! And I do like flaxseed so thats a win win!

Return to “Too Much Information”