Consistent urge to go very early in the morning

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Benh
Contributor

Consistent urge to go very early in the morning

Postby Benh » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:36 am

As background, I am still on a long vancomycin taper and now at one pill every three days. Ever since c diff, I wake up between 3-5 am every day with an urge to go and anxiety, and usually a lot of belly noise and some gas. I fight it off and try to sleep until my normal wake time of about 6 am. After I go, I feel slightly better but it usually takes a few hours to start to feel normal. In that time, I may go one or two more items and always eat breakfast. My stools are usually loosely formed, never formed and sometimes more mushy than other times. I usually don't have much pain with this but sometimes have a little. Does anyone else have this and has anyone found a way to stop it in terms of the time. It is very disturbing both emotionally and physically. I never feel rested. Thanks for any thoughts.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Consistent urge to go very early in the morning

Postby Ril » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 pm

This sounds like PI IBS. IBS is classically in morning hours and gets better as the day goes on. If it is not watery it is usually not c diff but that is not an absolute. While it does sound as though early recovery, watch that it doesn't worsen. Classic IBS doesn't waken you (supposedly) but there is nothing classic about c diff or recovery, and the fact that it doesn't continue all day makes it sound fine. And remember, your stool does not go back to your old " normal" for a long time.

Try to relax and just keep an eye on what's going on, but try not to get obsessive.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:22 am

I had that too , usually after finishing meds and it got better in time. I was dealing with that in early recovery and with very bad insomnia and was waking up at 2-3 am with bloated stomach and mild rectal pressure ,I was drinking a cup of fennel tea and a pill of Librax and it was helping a bit.

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks, Rita and Georgina. Maybe when I get off vancomycin for good it will get better. I am planning to back off kefir slowly also but keep florastor at 2 a day and still do a little kefir (5 oz or so) a while longer. Thanks again.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:51 pm

It took many weeks, and was a very exciting sign for me, when I stopped having urges/movements early in the morning. Sounds like early recovery to me and should improve the further you out from treatment. Am almost 6 months out from a fairly mild case of c.diff and only in the last few weeks have I felt 90% back to my pre-c.diff condition.

~Lauren

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:56 am

When I was 19, a long time ago, I suffered with IBS for about a year. I would wake in the morning and have several unformed BM's (2-5 or so) and then would feel fine the rest of the day. The urge to go never woke me however. It would just begin after waking. And I have talked to others over the years who have experienced this with IBS.
I am 14 weeks post FMT. I took Vanco with a taper twice. The first time I recurred after a little over a month, and the second time I did the FMT at the end of the taper. When I was on Vanco both times, my BM's were always mushy and ample and odorless. Point being I never made any progress towards "normal" BM's on Vanco even when only taking it every other day. After I went off it with the first taper after about two weeks BM's became more dense and normal. There was definite progress towards normalcy once I stopped the Vanco.
Also, after my colonoscopy for my FMT my doctor told me my entire colon was inflamed. Biopsies were done and I was not diagnosed with an inflammatory condition. However, I did not expect to be told this. It had been 8 weeks since I had active infection. Even after that amount of time symptom free on Vanco, I was still damaged. It seems it takes people a VERY long time to heal from the damage of CDI.
BTW, everyone's doctor gives them different advice about probiotics, diet, recovery... so am just sharing my doctor's opinion. She has run a C Diff clinic at a university hospital for several years now has the opinion recovery from C Diff occurs by reestablishing DIVERSE good flora. Diversity being the key with probiotics, not 50 billion of one bacteria for example. She advises food sources of probiotics as opposed to pill probiotics, with organic plain kefir being the best source. She stresses the importance of a diet that is at least 70% fruits and vegetables, and as low sugar as possible, and that you have to feed the good bacteria for it to flourish and reestablish.

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:18 am

Hello Benh~

Like clockwork, my body wakes me up around 3 am for a BM...Yes, my stool is formed and normal, although on various occassions they have been loose ...And like you, I am trying to train it to hold until 5 am to BM...but when nature calls, u got to go. It has been 3 months out for me since my DX and I am still experiencing fatigue...During my active cdiff- I never got any sleep, Maybe a few hours during the mid-afternoon time..during the day, I could sleep... But hardly at..night.. Or my sleep would be for a couple hours. Not sure who can get rest when u making multiple trips to the bathroom.
But I believe before cdiff, my body was transitioning to doing wake up calls around 3am...it could be for me...maybe...I don't know...The aging process...But I do hope it can get back to 5am or 6am like in the past.

I hope you are able to get some rest and heal also.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:14 am

I'm just seeing this original post now. This was me to the tee in early recovery. I would wake every morning quite early, usually around 5am with the urge to go. It would actually wake me up. I would go and then would be ok, but then would have to go 2-3 more times in the morning hours. I also had terrible nausea in the morning for quite some time. This did last a while, and my GI told me that this was PI-IBS. It got better with time. It actually took me about 8 months to have only 1-2 BMs per morning. I still get bouts of IBS from time to time, but they are few and far between. I had c-diff in Sept 2014, and my GI system has definitely changed from it. But that urge to go in the early morning was exactly what I had experienced as well.

Lisa

Iby
Brand New Poster

Postby Iby » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:34 pm

I have just recently recovered and I can tell you I had exactly the same early morning 'wake ups'. What made it worse was the timing of the vancomycin, the timing of the yeast-like probiotics (like Florastor) and the bacterial ones, and the urges for the rest. I believe I got no more than 2-3 hours at a time, exhausted all o f the time, and with loud noises. Yet right after I finished the vancomycin, I got to sleep most of the night as the bloating lessened and, therefore, the urges, lessened. As soon as I have anything to eat, even just a nutritional drink, I have maybe 10 minutes or sooner a BM, but its good to know things are working more correctly now. I am now one month post 'vanco' and can sleep through the night again and noises ended, yay. This seems to be a normal progression as long as nothing else is going wrong. Best wishes.

Return to “Too Much Information”