mucous

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
angrry
New User

mucous

Postby angrry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:39 am

Hello...I have a question re: mucous....I am on day 6 of flagyl after being diagnosed for the first time with CDI last week. My question is this, is it normal for my stool to still be containing a large amount or mucous....the D is gone...no more blood...the toxic smell is gone too....however when do go to the bathroom it appears like it is trying to form into a normal shape although you can tell it isn't, it's loose, fluffy in appearance and has a large amount of mucous in it....I'm just hoping it isnt the CDI just being held down at the moment by the flagyl...I will finish the course of flagyl on Wednesday...the large amount of mucous has me concerned. Thx for any insight to can provide

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: mucous

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Mucus usually means irritation. Sometimes adding fiber will help but do check with your doc. Before you do anything new.

Keep us posted.

angrry
New User

Postby angrry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:15 pm

ty Bobbie..will do...I'll continue the flagyl and the probiotics..and see what happens...if need be I'll call my doc next week...I do have an appt with him on June 15th as a precaution in case of relapse

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Angry, good idea. Ask him/her about fiber and what kind to take.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:27 am

Like Bobbie said mucus can be from irritation. My doc has told me that as well, but for some reason mucus makes me a bit nervous when I have it, and it's been four years since I've had C Diff. I've actually seen mucus on my stool the last two mornings. The stool has been normal too. Anyway, I do have a question if anyone knows; when they talk about irritation, does that mean the colon is irritated from different foods, stress, or what? Or does it mean mucus comes from an irritated rectum? I've never thought to ask here or my doctor. If anyone has any clue, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not trying to hijack the OP's thread. My sincere apologies if this is taken that way! I just didn't want to start another mucus thread.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Dobies#1, I unfortunately know a lot about mucus :-/ (A LOT).

For some reason my C.diff infection, daughter's C. diff infection, and baby's all presented with tons of mucus (sorry tmi) rather than the classic watery diarrhea. Eventually (over the course of a month) as my C. diff progressed I was only passing large amounts of mucus, blood and pieces of my colon.

I was so afraid to be treated after experiencing Red Man Syndrome that I even tried to talk the Infectious Disease doctor out of treating me; telling him that I didn't have diarrhea just mucus. He explained that C. diff colitis causes inflammation of the colon/large intestine, the inflammation and irritation is what causes the body to excrete large amounts of mucus. If during a C. diff infection a person is experiencing large amounts of mucus (even with small formed stools) it is still considered to be "diarrhea" and should be treated.

Long story short, mucus can be a sign of a bacterial infection, IBS, and can even occur if you are experiencing hemmroids. The IBS and the hemmroids unfortunately seem to come hand in hand with C. diff :-/ so it can be "normal" to see small amounts of mucus in your stool. But a lot of consistent mucus should be investigated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm

I was like you when I first got c difficile. Tons of M, but small formed stool. Not classic symptoms, but very uncomfortable. The M was tested and was positive for c diff and it did respond to vancomycin. In hindsight, I wish I had tried probiotics first, but I didn't know at the time.

I was told by my GI that M can be from the rectum as well as the colon. Either/or or both.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks OCmama and Beth. Does it make you guys nervous if you see it still?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Still makes me nervous :-/ unfortunately I know people who are 15+ years out from active C. diff infections who still get nervous over weird GI symptoms. C. diff is brutal. I think people who haven't had C. diff struggle to understand the scope of this disease because of the label "infectious diarrhea", C. diff is to diarrhea, as a cough is to Tuberculosis, it's a game changer.

My general practioner said that this experience will make me "emotionally strong", I'm not sure why, but I found it comforting? I find that I can handle most things with more ease now, as long as it's not C. diff! :-)

But I do still get nervous, I try to stay away from foods that might aggravate my PI-IBS, and then follow the 3 times per day, 3 day rule. The anxiety can be tough, I try to practice good self care and try to be patient with the healing process. C. diff is definitely a lesson in patience :-/

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:24 am

I've also passed lots of mucous. All my relapses where starting with one or two days of passing clear mucous and after that the D was hitting. For some reason all my positive tests were when i tested the mucous, if i was testing the loose stool the test was negative.

Aurora88
Regular User

Postby Aurora88 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Once I was in recovery thats when the M showed up for me. Any time I ate anything sugary or fatty I would get this very uncomfortable feeling in my rectum area and then, behold, M. The dr. said it was normal and part of healing as my colon was very fragile.

Though honestly, hearing about how some of you had lots of M with small formed stools, I can't help but wonder if a weird horrid stomach bug I had a few years earlier was actually due to c diff. I've always been very healthy, and I don't often get sick or have digestive problems, and I've never been in a hospital setting beforehand, so I think my C diff came from local community, when I was abroad in Europe (apparently its under diagnosed there for a while so maybe it was in that community?), or from a dr. office. I'll probably never know but I was out at a convention and woke up that morning with the strangest GI symptoms I ever experienced. M with small stools, pain in the last leg of my colon, and cramping. It lasted several days and went away, only to come back a month or so later and lasted a few weeks before going away again. I even had a little blood both times. Then a few years later, bam C diff after antibiotics, though it took them two tests to find it as the culprit. Maybe my immune system was fighting it off all along? C diff is strange.

Return to “Too Much Information”