Post c diff and post FMT

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Post c diff and post FMT

Postby Zapper » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:27 am

Hi all,
I am 8 days post 2nd FMT for recurrent c diff. I have not been able to expand from my bland diet without disturbances. Today, I am having a lot of upper and lower abd pain, gas, and 3 bms so far (all formed but soft).
The difference today is the smell (TMI). It is very pungent and almost rotten smelling... maybe even sulfer???

Is this typical PI-IBS? Or is this something I should worry about considering I haven't eaten anything not bland? I only ate chicken rice banana and toast with a little butter on it yesterday ..... I'm trying my best not to overthink but it's awful!!!

Thank you for the replies in advance!!

Update:: I have had 4 bms. Just tried to eat half a chicken sandwich (nothing but chicken and bread) and my stomach is absolutely freaking out. Feels like so much pain already (I don't know how it's possible as I literally just ate 5 min ago). Already having gas and gas pains and urgency to use the restroom. Just need reassurance everyone else is going thru this or something similar.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post c diff and post FMT

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:04 pm

That smell could be malabsorption. I would call your doctor and report what has been going on. If it continues, I would have a test done to see if you have any other pathogen via a stool culture. It's also possible you have some kind of virus. I would call the doctor before the weekend and see what he/she tells you.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:57 pm

I called my GI this morning but still no response. And of course it's a weekend... I'm afraid I won't get a response until Monday!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:15 am

Have you tried a baked potato? And your doctor should have some kind of weekend answering service that can allow you to contact them on the weekend. Calling the answering service is often a great way to bypass the medical assistants and receptionists who think it's their job to act as gate keepers for the doctor.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:35 am

Yes, luckily my GI is the doctor on call all weekend. He called this morning. Says he doesn't think it's PI-IBS and possibility the beginning of a relapse. Asked for me to start probiotics since it's been a week after the FMT and to eat whatever I like except dairy and raw vegetables.
I hope he's wrong. It's hard not to worry now. I've had such a hard time trying to recover and I don't know if my body can handle another relapse.
Last night I had a baked potato and a piece of ham and it seemed to be ok. No idea if it's the probiotic or what.

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:39 pm

I have been all over the place since my fmt March 21st. The snell is still nasty. Had more gas after fmt than ever. An seems soon as i eat i feel the digestion or whatever going on. Had numerous bouts WD dr ordered test got negative may 24th. I was shocked. Ive expanded some in my diet also an sometimes it works. Ive had tacos no problem an homeade chicken an noodles gave me D. Go figure.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Stop eating chicken and bread. Get your carbs from potatoes and rice. You may have developed a temporary intolerance to either chicken or bread. Stop eating both, once you are stabilized, add one thing back to your diet, see how it goes. A couple weeks later add the other.

Increasing probiotics for one day isn' going to have solved the problem that fast. Eat more potatoes. They are delicious, and if you bake them, actually quite nutritious. Boiling can remove some of the vitamins. Georgina's suggestion of zucchini is also good.

Your mast cells may be in an uproar as well. Chicken can have high levels of histamine if you don't eat it right after it's cooked. It has high levels of an amino acid called histadine in its protein structure that degrades to histamine. For people who are sensitive to it, that can cause D. I recommend you research low histamine foods. You will be surprised by what foods are high in histamine.

I also recommend you google mast cell activation disorder and ibs. I have a mast cell disorder and had lots of problems after I was cured of C diff until I treated the mast cell problem. Very few docs know about mast cell disorders. I was extremely blessed to find an expert who, honestly, gave me my life back.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:53 am

I had a good weekend. Two days with only moderate pain and only 1 bm a day. Now, getting ready for work Monday morning it's back with the severe pains and multiple bms. Husband suggested it's stress. I'm starting to think he's right.
I have a 45 min commute without bathroom options and also have my 7 month old with me so I have to take him everywhere until I drop him off at daycare. I have used the bathroom there and have brought my bleach wipes but the anxiety of potentially harming another person with this disease is too much to handle.
Work life hasn't been good either.. my employer is not understanding of my issue and nosy co-workers have complained about my "excessive bathroom use" in their eyes. I can't control how often I have to go.
It's been very stressful and only when I am at home and close to a bathroom seems to be the only time I don't need it!!!!! Go figure.
Last week I almost had an accident running to the bathroom at work before even clocking in (and after 5 bms already in the morning)

I don't want to quit my job as we really can't afford it. But I don't know how I am supposed to continue like this.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Zapper. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I have been having a lot of bad and the occasional good day lately.
Any chance you can take FMLA while you're at the start of healing????

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Child care and that long commute are very expensive, so quitting your job or taking disability might not cost you as much as you think. You could perhaps find part time work much closer to home? Also look into customer service jobs you can do from home. Amazon has those positions, and I am sure other large companies must do the same. Your health is worth more than your pay check.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:33 pm

The biggest issue is I have medical insurance through my job.
I am not eligible for fmla as I just took my leave in Oct to have my son.
I currently have been applying for other jobs closer to home and have gone on interviews but honestly don't know what I would do. Our cobra is 1200 a month for coverage and god forbid I relapse during a job change when I am not eligible for sick time or anything (probationary period).
Too. Much. Stress.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Well do your best and don't stress about it (I know easy for me to say). Take each day as it comes and before you know it, you'll be on the mend!

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:55 pm

It should be somewhat comforting to you to realize, given how your symptoms almost normalize on the weekends, that stress is the most likely factor here. So, since you can't quit your job, you need to attack this stress issue. We have a lot of control over how we respond to stress, and sometimes it's a matter of developing new behaviors. Many of these are easily learned and can be done at home without the need for medication or seeing a therapist. One of the most effective, and truly it does actually give good physiologic effects like decreased heart rate and blood pressure, is deep breathing/diaphragmatic breathing/abdominal breathing.

Here's a good article to get you started. Seriously, if you work at this it can truly help.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and- ... s-response

And of course other things like meditation and/or prayer can help. Or guided imagery. Here is an article that explains guided imagery - another technique you can teach yourself.

This is a hard and tiring time with a newborn PLUS the added terrible stress of c diff, but you are healing and you CAN get through this. I would try to take some time for yourself and try calming techniques like the above. Good luck. And keep reminding yourself that this, too, shall pass.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Well I expanded my food possibly too much.
Had rice noodles and chicken but treated myself to chicken empanadas for lunch today and instantly after eating in the bathroom sick. :(

There is a lot of mucus which worries me since that always would happen with a relapse.
Trying not to stress out too much since I am 17 days post FMT.

I have already used the bathroom 3 times. I am getting quite paranoid.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 am

I am 8 1/2 weeks post my 2nd FMT. I still have to baby my stomach. I also take Enzymedica Digestive Enzymes. They really help me, and I eat a very bland diet.

Return to “Too Much Information”