post surgery question

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

post surgery question

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 pm

I have two seperate questions and I'm not sure the best way to post them. #1 is more TMI question. I will try and post the other question in General Questions.

1. I had my gallbladder removed last Thursday. I've been doing okay and have been continuing with Florastor 2x day and 2 Bio K (50 Billion each) everyday. I plan on doing this for quite some time. Maybe even three months as I did have 1 dose abx during the surgery. I had my first bm after the surgery on Sat. It was fine Sat and Sunday. Monday was a different story. I went 4 times b/t 6:30am and 1pm. 2x were powdery/some undigested food and 2 were more D like. I was concerned as the first two days were better. I called both the surgeon and GI's nurse to touch base. They both said that isn't uncommon after gallbladder surgery and to keep an eye on it but that may happen as the body gets used to not having a gallbladder. BTW, I still have PI-IBS. It is better today but is still has the same consistency (soft, powdery, some undigested). I don't want to become overly concerned but at the same time, I want to be proactive about it. Any suggestions? Other than WD and smell is there anything else for me to watch for? I see the surgeon tomorrow.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: post surgery question

Postby amyc » Tue May 09, 2017 6:37 pm

I wouldn't be embarrassed to ask the surgeon for a Cdiff test. I would really doubt it's back, but getting the negative result will help calm your nerves. Once you get the negative result you can ask about colestipol to help with stool consistency.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue May 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks, Amy. That's a good idea. Today was better and I'll see how tomorrow is before I see him too. I just find it a little weird that it is a little different. Although I have had that powdery consistency every now and then (PI-IBS?). Did you start the Colesipol right away or were you fine at first? Should I give it a day or so or just ask him when I see him tomorrow?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue May 09, 2017 11:15 pm

Glad the surgery is over and done!
As they told you, you can expect some changes as your body adjusts to not having a gall bladder. I would give it some time to see how your stool regulates. You can always get meds if you encounter difficulty. But of course, the decision is yours.

Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed May 10, 2017 12:43 am

After gallbladder surgery you might have to deal with loose stools for awhile , 1 in 3 patient develops it.In most cases, the diarrhea stops 1-2 months after the surgery ,rarely, it may last for years. Colestipol will help absorb bile acids.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 am

Thank you so much Rita & Georgina. I was okay yesterday. Today I had a "pile" with some formed and some unformed. Not WD and no odor. I would like to give it some time and don't want to test unnecesarily, but I will run it by the surgeon today. How much time should I give myself before going that route? I do think it is more than likely just having the gallbladder out and getting used to not having it anymore. Thank you.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 am

I had the surgery exactly two weeks ago today. For the first week I was doing really well. Since Sunday, I have had either very soft, loose or D once or twice a day. Sometimes it is more powdery. I believe this is probably due to the surgery or an increase in the probiotics but I just don't know. No strong smell, no visible M, but softer for sure. I made an appt with my PCP for tomorrow and GI for next week. Does this still sound like post gallbladder recovery? I am still eating a somewhat bland diet (with the exception of pad thai on Mother's Day). That is when I saw a big change. Would you test?

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 pm

A lot of people have diarrhea/looser stools after having their gallbladder removed and pad thai could certainly upset your GI! If it were me, I would not test on those symptoms but that's a decision you need to make for yourself.

~Lauren

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 19, 2017 1:00 am

Try decreasing probiotics. They bother some. If that does not help, contact your doc.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri May 19, 2017 10:55 pm

I would test before your vacation so you will be able to relax and enjoy it more. Get that negative, and put C diff behind you.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat May 20, 2017 8:41 am

Thank you all. Thanks, Amy! I called my GI Thursday and his nurse called back saying he believes it's still post gallbladder recovery but I should come in next week. He suggested I test before I come in to rule things out. I actually ended up testing (PCR) yesterday morning but the hospital lab called and said they would not test it as it was too formed. Much better this am.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue May 23, 2017 4:08 pm

I went to see my GI today bc of the intermittent D. He said it sounds like a combination of my body learning to adjust without a gallbladder and the mild PI IBS I have been dealing with since last year. He suggested peppermint IBGuard pills but also suggested switching from Florastor and Bio K to VSL3. I bought it today and am open to doing that but what is the best way to switch without causing a lot of stomach upset? His office said to just switch (cold turkey) to one or two VSL3 a day. I assumed I should overlap for a while to ease into it. For instance, I was thinking of trying 1/2 a pill at first and move up to one. Any suggestions?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 23, 2017 11:58 pm

I asked a C. diff. expert these questions as many docs. disagree. I trust his answers above all others.

Q. How long to retest after Flagl/vanco/Dificid during active C. diff.?
A. 7 to l4 days and the longer the better. PCR is false positive for up to two weeks as bits of DNA from killed C. diff. are passed out, and if tested too soon gives a false positive result. Culture early is accurate but not easy to get done by lab.

VSL3 has a toll free number on the pkg. Call it for questions. Costco often has it cheaper.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:32 am

I take VSL#3. It has more variety of bacteria than Bio-K. I would take part of a capsule (I still do) and see how it agrees. Florastor did not agree with me at all. I take the VSL#3 in applesauce. IBGard has helped other posters. It is a natural ingredient, so I doubt it would hurt. I would try it, but don't try both new things at once.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed May 24, 2017 7:59 am

Thank you. Beth, How do I take part of a capsule? Do you just cut it? The GI really likes VSL3 and would like me to try it. I have been taking Florastor since Jan 2016 (when I developed c diff) and never stopped taking it even after I got better. I started the Bio K in June 2016 but take it on an as needed basis-a couple of times a week or if I had bad ibs. So maybe try 1/2 VSL3 today with the Florastor and tomorrow one pill without the Florastor? I will be 3 weeks post surgery this Thursday (had one dose of IV Cefoxitin-nothing after) and just want to make sure I am taking enough probiotic. I know some people on here take VSL3 along with Florastor after an antibiotic.

Return to “Too Much Information”