post surgery question

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: post surgery question

Postby georgina » Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 am

Don't overdo it with probiotics , too much of those can give you more symptoms .

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Why change probiotics if your current ones are agreeing with you and you don't have c.diff symptoms?

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed May 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks Georgina and Roy! Well, I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago and I'm still having a little D because of it. My GI had me do a cdiff test and they couldn't test bc it was formed (which is good news). Because of that and bc of the intermittent D, my GI suggested going with VSL3 instead. I kinda of feel like it's it's not broke, don't fix it but at the same time if it may help a little I am open to switching.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 pm

You said it!
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Current symptoms are to be expected after having your gall bladder out.
My mother could not tolerate any fats (serious debilitating pain) and her BMs were sometimes chalky white after she had her gall bladder removed.
Normal service does not resume if you have bits removed that are causing problems.
Life long changes sometimes have to be made.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Personally- my own opinion- I would not switch before vacation since you don't know how long it will take to regulate your body to new probiotics and what effect they will have on you. But that's my opinion, not medical advice. Since it is a comfort issue and not a medical problem I would deal with it and ride it out until I return home then see if I still need to do something to improve the situation.
Again, I would, check with the dr to see if I could take Imodium if needed for a very bad day or at least pepto ( I don't see why not and if you don't eat crazy it doesn't seem to really be a significant problem)
IB guard may help as well.

This may well be all from the gall bladder surgery with or without some help from your friendly PI IBS!
Try not to obsess, hard as it is, and hope it will pass. You really are on the way to full recovery from everything now, finally!

Rita

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed May 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank you Roy & Rita. I do agree with you. I think I may try the VSL3 but it really does make more sense to do so after this trip. He did say that I can take Immodium if I need to and I will bring IB Guard. It hasn't been that bad and I feel like I am getting better. My concern was I am already eating so bland (lost 3 lbs since surgery) and still had problems but I just need to be very, very careful about what I eat.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:31 pm

I would not stop taking the Florastor if it agrees with you. The VSL#3 comes in a capsule that opens up. You don't need to cut it. I open it up, pour a little onto the applesauce, and they closeit back up and keep that one in a plastic zip lock bag in the refrigerator. Bio-K gave me a lot of gas, but it is also a good probiotic. I had my husband take it when he took antibiotics.

Return to “Too Much Information”