Does this sound like IBS?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Does this sound like IBS?

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 am

I've been negative for the past year but I've been dealing with a lot (an upcoming surgery and a couple of other non medical things) for the past week or two. My new normal for the past many months has typically been formed but slightly soft. I've noticed that this week I've had much softer stools. Idk if it's just mild ibs, nerves, just what I ate or something to be concerned about. Yesterday it was 3x throughout the day but it's usually been once or twice a day. I do not have watery D but I have been having "fluffy" Bristol 5's and 6's and several that are formed but fall apart. I take Florastor twice a day and I've been taking Bio K at night the past couple of weeks.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Does this sound like IBS?

Postby amyc » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:54 pm

That does sound like IBS, unfortunately. The probiotics could just not agree with you very well also. I tried the bio k and stopped it quickly, but I don't remember exactly why or what symptoms it caused. Maybe try it in the morning to see how it effects you during the day? I can't take florastor at all--tons of gas and some looser stools.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks, Amy. It's strange bc I've been taking Florastor for over a year and done fine and the Bio K I've been taking on and off since June with no issues. Maybe it's something I've been eating. I think trying it in the am is a good plan.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:17 pm

Jennifer, your anxiety is probably growing as your surgery approaches. It's amazing what that can do to your gut. If you don't get watery stools- go by the 3 day rule- don't panic! You'll be fine. You have to get through this surgery. Do you know any stress reduction techniques?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 am

Anxious,
I believe there is now a test for IBS.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks, Rita. You are definitely right about that. I actually just ordered a meditation cd that focusing on preparing for surgeries my therapist suggested. It does usually clear up within a couple of days and gets worse when I'm on my cycle.

Bobbie- Do you know what it is called? Is it a blood test?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:13 pm

The test is actually called IBSChek. I actually inquired about it about a year ago. I live in NY, and they do not offer this test here. So, I guess it depends on what state you're in for availability. I believe it's available in California, as there are posters who live there and have had the test done.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Thank you, Lisa. I'm in the Chicago area so I'll check with my pcp.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Ibschek is used to diagnose IBS-D only. It's a blood test that checks for the antibodies produced from food poisoning and often found in people with ibs. Their experts make the assertion that most people with ibs have probably obtained it from a bout of foot poisoning. But post infectious ibs has other causes too and in our cases from c diff. Anxiety can cause it too. I wouldn't personally have this test done because any ibs I have would be from c diff and this test would be false negative for me I would think. that's what I took from it but I'm sure if a dr thinks it beneficial they might still want to order it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:50 am

It picks up IBS from c diff too, I was told. It must have, because I tested very positive on it. The doctor told me I would test positive because of the c difficile and he was right.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Going to th GI next week and am going to ask about IBS test. Do not know,what good it will do.

Still think stress is most frequent cause.

Seeing another physica therapist. When I told him about my experience with c diff, he said, "Well that will wreck your GI tract.

Amen!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 09, 2017 2:32 am

Several on site have written about an IBS test. I asked a c diff expert about it.

Reply: "No such reliable test yet. It’s a mixture of disorders."

Return to “Too Much Information”