How long after colonoscopy

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
AllysMom
Contributor

How long after colonoscopy

Postby AllysMom » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi everyone! I haven't logged in here since last year and no offense but it's been nice lol. So I have had digestive issues for years and finally went in for a colonoscopy/endoscopy to rule out Chrons disease the middle of last November 2016. Since then I have been doing well. Pretty much eating what I want etc. well about a month ago I ate somewhere that sent me to the bathroom with my first bout of diarrhea in a long time besides the prep for the cononoscopy. Then after a week or so it went back to normal. Then the last couple of Weeks I started having 3 movements a day, stomach aches that my bentyl almost didn't help with but everything got a bit better. Well last week I started to go downhill pretty bad. Stomach aches, gas, gurgling, urge, and some nausea and loss of appetite. I haven't had much mucus unlike when I had cdiff the first time. I called my GI on Friday and they said if I'm not having diarrhea that it's def my IBS. Well I've been eating white rice the last couple days to hopefully reset my stomach. Yesterday after eating normal food I had diarrhea again but that was it for the day. Today I ate normal again and I had two episodes of soft formed stools with a little bit of liquid stool. If I eat bland food I don't get diarrhea. Lots of gas when I go and my stomach feels horrible. So of course it's in my head that it's cdiff. How long after having a colonoscopy can a persons cdiff become active? Like I have read that a person can get cdiff up to 3 months after antibiotics. Is it the same with a colonoscopy? I haven't lost weight, I don't feel ill, I don't have any blood in my stool, I am tired but what's new lol. I take one Colestid a day and this is still happening so it's got me a bit worried. The best part is starting a new job this week and the timing is just perfect lol. Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long after colonoscopy

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:45 pm

I have relapsed with c diff just out of the blue, but it is unusual. You may have picked up a virus of some kind. If it persists, I would ask your doctor to test your stool for not only c difficile, but do a culture to see if you may have picked up some other bacteria. I got campylobacter after c diff and others had salmonella and other things.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Sorry you are having a rough time. I relapsed after a scope, but it was about a week afterwards. My GI said 98% of people who get D after scopes are probably C diff, but every doctor seems to have their own opinion on that. I would recommend that you follow Beth's advice and ask to do the full panel of stool tests, including C diff, just to make sure you really are just having a temporary IBS flair up. If all the tests are negative you could see about increasing to 2 colestid pills a day for a short period of time. That's what I take, and it seems to work fairly well.

AllysMom
Contributor

Postby AllysMom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi and thank you both for your suggestions! I gave it the three day rule. Yesterday I had no BMs at all and today I've had three trips to the bathroom and they were all small but formed once again. Last night I had terrible gas that kept waking me up all night and I haven't had that since the first time I had cdiff. I went in and saw a nurse practitioner in my GIs office today. She ordered a stool sample test to test for c-diff plus a full panel and I didn't even have to ask for it! She also said if it is positive for cdiff that it wouldn't be from the colonoscopy this far from it. Here's to hoping I don't get the dreaded positive results in a couple days and it all Keeps continuing to improve

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:14 am

Whatever the test result your GI issues are resolving.
A positive test should not automatically result in treating.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:31 am

Roy is right , it sounds like your symptoms are getting better , don't rush into treatment if classic CDiff symptoms are not present.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Agree with Roy, your current symptoms sound more like PI-IBS than c.diff. Unless your symptoms take a dive (start getting a lot of WD, blood, fever, etc.) would consider if you really need treatment regardless of test results.

~Lauren

AllysMom
Contributor

Postby AllysMom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Well since Tuesday I haven't had any D. I have had lose stools with a touch of D. The gas comes and goes and the urges aren't as bad. I still get the D sensation off and on. My system just doesn't feel right. My stomach is soo messed up lol. Hopefully I'll find out soon because I've feared leaving the house

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Did you submit your samples? You'll know soon enough if anything comes up positive. Your description of symptoms doesn't sound mild to me if they are making you nervous about leaving home.

AllysMom
Contributor

Postby AllysMom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Ok so I buckled and called the GI office and left a message. The nurse called me back shortly after and said that the GI hadn't seen my results yet but from what she could see all tests came out negative!! She said the GI will call me with further instructions but she wanted to let me know. Cdiff tests are pretty accurate when the PCR test is done from what I understand so I guess I need to get the thought of c-diff out of my head! I do have bad IBS and I still have other gastro things going on so maybe it's a result of that

I fear leaving the house incase my stomach starts acting up and I have to find a restroom fast. Otherwise I have left the house several times this last week. I just don't like using public restrooms for something like D lol

Return to “Too Much Information”