B and M in D

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
cdaleguy
Contributor

B and M in D

Postby cdaleguy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:09 pm

I am one week post FMT and tested negative for c diff on Thursday. I sure wouldn't know I was negative because my gut is a mess like it's never been.

It seems that in the afternoon and evening I'm okay. I don't have D at all (or very, very little).

But first thing in the morning I start in with D. Yesterday it was like sludge or mud. Today my first stool of the day was watery D...just pieces of shredded, acidic stool. But I also noticed something new: a long (maybe 6 to 8 inches long) string of yellowish mucous. I went on with my morning. Not long after I had an urgent need to go and when I did it was rather explosive with gas and when I looked before flushing it was more of those long yellowish strings of mucous but this time with spots of blood on it.

I freaked out and texted my GI who promptly told me mucous is normal with ibs and the blood was probably from my internal hemorrhoids. (But why...it's diarrhea...not hard?)

He is after me every day to take the Bentyl he prescribed and I keep putting it off because I think it'll make me dizzy and sleepy and anxious. I feel enough of that without meds helping make it worse.

I've been to the bathroom once more and it was mucous stained with red blood. Just a few pieces.

What the heck is this? I'm scared. You'd think I'd be running out of weird stuff to see that would freak me out but here I am scared again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: B and M in D

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 pm

The colonoscopy itself could have irritated your colon and caused hemorrhoids to bleed. Have you asked about taking something like Questran to firm up the stools? I don't know if it is given after FMT, but it does bind up toxins and gives firmer stools. If you can tolerate Florastor, it also is supposed to help for D. I never could take it, but many can. I had a lot of food intolerances after c diff and FMT. I don't know what you are eating. Try eating a very bland diet for a few days without any dairy or raw vegetables or fruit and see if things improve.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Frequency alone will aggravate my hemorrhoids and lead to bleeding, no constipation required. I still have some mucus 8 weeks post c.diff and think most of it is due to my hemorrhoids and/or IBS.

~Lauren

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:58 am

I would want another test to feel confident that it was just IBS, but I am an anxious person. You got a negative test Thursday, so I would worry less about the possibility of a false positive test. If you get worse you might consider going to the ER, or contacting the ID who did your FMT to see if she will order the test for you.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:25 am

One week post FMT is too soon to notice improvement in your bowel habits. You will have symptoms for awhile like D and M , because FMT will only cure the infection it won't do anything for IBS or actually there are cases where IBS was worse after FMT , until the body adjusted with the new bacteria. You already had a negative test so that should put your mind at ease.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm really sorry you're having these symptoms. I haven't seen too many posters discuss having blood. I'm one of the ones that does get blood. It's hard to tell the difference between blood from c diff and blood from hems as I've had both. My gi told me that the inflammation can aggravate the hems and they can stain mucus on the way out. It's good you have a negative test. I'm about 6 days out from my fmt and having some sharp pains in the general stomach region and things haven't been ideal. Basically I'm chalking it up to the experience and ibs until I get something more conclusive to warrant further testing. I've read quite a few stories from other posters who had horrible times after fmt for a while until things leveled out. Keep us posted and good luck.

Return to “Too Much Information”