Please don't be a relapse

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
s123
New User

Please don't be a relapse

Postby s123 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:05 am

So just as I was thinking about posting a success story for my C Diff I contracted in October 2016, I wake up with weird symptoms. I have recovered so well and have been 90% back to normal over the last three months after having had taken 2 rounds of flagyl. I am only 19 years old. Since I was sick I have taken a probiotic every single day and introduced kefir occasionally into my diet. I have suffered lactose intolerance before the c diff so I know what happens when I eat it. Yesterday morning I had yoghurt and bread for breakfast, really bad food for my body. Around three hours later I ran to the toilet and had D (totally normal as I usually get it a couple of times after I eat that kind of food). I was at work and wanted my stomach settled so took an imodium. I took this as I didn't expect c diff at this time at all. If I did - I definitely wouldn't have taken the imodium as it can cause the toxins to get trapped in the bowel/stomach and that's so dangerous. Since then my stomach settled, however late that afternoon I came home and got chills, going hot and cold, nausea, and really achy joints (something I didn't have with c diff). By this time I thought it was possibly a flu or stomach bug. Took some panadol and the flu symptoms went, however this is when the mucus started. The two other times I had c diff, it started with m then quickly turned to d. I have woken up today with minor cramping, discomfort, and A LOT of m (gross I know). By this time though you'd expect it to have turned into D. This has been happening for 24 hours now. I had tiny bits of solid but they were covered in M. I've felt a bit hot all day by my temperature is saying normal. I have no idea what's going on and have been crying the entire day. No one understands or is taking it seriously. I'm so worried that taking the imodium could have caused constipation or if I'm possibly just experiencing weird side effects from the imodium/have an upset stomach from the bad food I've been eating. If it continues tomorrow I'll be getting tested, but until then I just would love to hear any of your thoughts. I feel so alone in this. I honestly don't think I can physically and mentally go through this again. I was so happy, healthy, honestly thought I had gotten rid of it for good. Is there a chance it could come on just so randomly? Could this possibly just be symptoms from the imodium or IBS? Please let me know :(

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Please don't be a relapse

Postby amyc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:55 pm

It could be a virus, or a reaction to something you ate, or any number of things. If you test positive again I would request vancomycin. Try to relax as much as you can until you can get the test. I had several scares after I was cured, got tested, and was always relieved to get the negative test result, and my symptoms always cleared up on their own.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:01 am

If I get M, it is usually when I am on the C side. Maybe it is a reaction to the Imodium. Like Amy said, for peace of mind, it might be a good idea to test if it continues.

s123
New User

Postby s123 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:41 am

Thank you so much for your replies! Hopefully just what you are saying it could be. The M has calmed down today but just still so uncomfortable ahh. Recovery is definitely a hard process.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Hello s123 and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
I am sorry you have been diagnosed with this illness and hope you are on the road to recovery. Recovery can be rough. Symptoms can be deceptive. Be conservative with your diet. Try to eat bland foods and add new foods slowly. I too have lactose intolerance so you should be very careful with offending foods because your gut is even more sensitive now. It is sometimes very hard to tell the difference between a bad few days, an IBS attack and a relapse. Try to follow the 3 day rule (see CDI) and don't panic.
The others have already given you some good advice. I wish you the best.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:01 am

Don't panic yet and go by the three day rule , it might be a flare of IBS . You said that you are struggling with lactose intolerance and you ate yogurt , maybe the yogurt is what flared up IBS. I'm not lactose intolerant (I can eat cheese , butter) but if I eat yogurt or kefir I would be extremely bloated , gurgly and that often ends with me on the toilet. Try to go back to a realy bland diet for 1-2 days (rice, chicken, bananas, toast, bone broth) and see if symptoms subside. If you are not seeing improvement by the third day or if D gets uncontrollable go back to your doctor and ask to be tested.

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 am

All~
Has anyone heard from Georgina? How is she doing?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed May 03, 2017 12:39 am

I'm fine!

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Wed May 03, 2017 2:46 am

Georgina~
Glad to know you are ok.

Return to “Too Much Information”