Might of made a mistake eating Garlic

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Jimmy40
New User

Might of made a mistake eating Garlic

Postby Jimmy40 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Hello everyone. I had cdiff this time a year ago. it took 4 rounds of antibiotics to kill it. vanco the last 2 times. Well I've been for the most part healthy as far as getting colds and upper respiratory infections. Had the whole post IBS the doctors call it. Well about a week ago I got sick. So instead of going to the doctors I decided to go the natural route. And the number one natural thing to kill sinus or respiratory infections was garlic. So this past Tuesday I was worse. So I went to the store and bought raw garlic and different teas. to get rid of it. I then started having diarrhea. I figured it was because of the flu. Then last night I had water bm. as well as today. I then did some research on garlic. Well im sure all of you know the effects it has. I was only eating the garlic Since Tuesday and stopped eating it after this morning. And I have been taking floaster. But not regularly because of not having any symptoms for a while. I know I should continue taking probiotics for at least a year after c diff. I also drink kefir periodically when my ibs acts up.My concern and question is if its c diff again or is it my ibs + stress? I don't have the pain that I had qith c diff. But I had a very bad case. I have been reading. And now they say that c diff is even worse. And can have it in mild cases. I really don't want to go through that nightmare again. The vanco half killed me alone. I am hoping that I am just having a bout of ibs and anxiety. You all have helped me in the past many times. Looking for your guidance yet again. Thank you!

Jimmy.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Might of made a mistake eating Garlic

Postby amyc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi Jimmy. I would guess the D is related to the virus you have. Enteroviruses can cause upper respiratory infections that also feature D, as can parainfluenza. I'd call your doctor to let them know what's going on and see if they want you to submit a sample for a test. Hope you feel better soon.

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 am

I am calling them this morning as soon as they open to tey and get lab tests ordered. I pray to God that this isn't C diff again. Thank you for your information. Praying it is just a combo of the flu/cold and the garlic just sent my ibs into overdrive.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Is this you?
It's best to use just one name so we can keep track of your history

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16096&p=100042&hilit=Jimmy#p100042

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Yes it is. I could not access that account. Tried many times to get online. I am sorry for the mix up. Or any confusion. The phone I had linked to it died.
My doctor finally called me back. Said they have a request for a stool sample. But now it's to late to get it done until Monday. I haven't had anymore bm. But haven't eaten much all day. Other than a banana and some kefir. So I don't know if that is a good thing or not. Just ate a chicken sandwich. lean deli lunch meat. Nothing on it. So hoping that stays with me. And that my issue is just from stress and the ibs.

KLor
Contributor

Postby KLor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Even when I tried eating nothing with c. diff, I would still be running to the toilet to expel water. Your colon will keep flushing itself with or without food. I wouldn't be surprised if your test comes back negative, but of course everyone's symptoms can vary.

Garlic is a BIG offender, I've cut it completely from my diet. Actually, the last time I ate garlic I had a D flare that lasted about 3 days. Then it was entirely gone. I personally ended that one by taking lots of hot showers (muscle relaxation meant less bathroom breaks), 2 peppermint oil capsules 3x daily, and a strict diet of bone broth, white rice, and bananas the whole time, with slow reintroduction of new foods after. It sounds like you're doing similar already, and I'll keep my fingers crossed it works for you!

Try to give yourself a vacation from healthy anxiety for right now. We don't know if you have relapsed, and worrying will not alter the outcome. Take gentle care of yourself. I hope you feel much better very soon!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:43 am

Don't think it is a reoccurence of Cdiff , sounds more like a intestinal virus but testing is good to put your mind at ease. Garlic doesn't cause a relapse although it irritates the gut and can give some symptoms.

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:18 am

I think you're right. Still not feeling all that great. But I think alot of it has to do with my stress levels. Not only with whatever is going on down there. But personal issues. Still paying for the damage it did to me last year. And I still don't have a lot of solid bm. But many here have said that it may take a few years to get back to normal. Crazy how things can change in such a short time. Having about 1 to 2 bm a day. But feel like I have to go. Especially when I am sitting or laying down. When I'm moving I feel alot better. So I think you are definitely correct about it not being a relapse. But I may still get the lab tests done anyway. Still not eating much. other than bananas, plain chicken lunch meat, some chicken noodle soup last night. and little bit of oatmeal with some honey. Also drinking the kefir and taking Floaster. Drinking chamomile tea with honey too. Is there anything else food wise I should add or take out of my diet to maybe help solid up my bm's? And also what does is a mild case of c diff? I've been seeing posts about that being a thing. And being able to get rid of the mild cases without antibiotics? This is news to me. I thought you needed antibiotics to kill cdiff? I pray you all are in good places in your lives. physically as well as mentally. Thank you all again.

KLor
Contributor

Postby KLor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi Jimmy,

I have heard of people adding a fiber supplement or more soluble fiber to the diet to firm up stool. I personally am on a low-FODMAP diet as well, and I've seen a major change in stool consistency and GI upset for the better.

In terms of chasing off a mild infection, I'm not sure. Some posters here have been told by their GIs to try Pepto-Bismol as a firstline defense (it does have some slight antimicrobial properties). I take Pepto for IBS-related D, and it does help after 2 doses.

I hope you continue healing and seeing your symptoms abate. It will happen! The wait is too long and too slow, I know, but you are going to get there. Take gentle care in the meantime!

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:09 pm

I'll have to get more soluble fiber. See if that makes a difference. I'm eating more the last few days. And haven't had a bm since yesterday morning. But stomach is still sensitive. Almost as if I can feel every meal going through. And still have gas and gas pains. But maybe the Garlic was the entire problem. And it's finally about run it's course. I will be sure to read up more on any "Natural" remedies I come across for illnesses. Thank you all for your insight. I hope you all have a blessed day.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:46 pm

I have had terrible flares of IBS for over 4 years since C diff and others have as well. That is what it sounds as though you may be having possibly brought on by your diet, as sometimes happens to me and sometimes for no apparent reason. Anxiety definitely also can make things worse. The feeling that you have to go may be spasms, also typical of IBS, and if it continues you can ask your dr for a prescription for an antispasmodic medication.

Food intolerances are common during recovery so still be careful of diet but you can add things slowly. High fiber foods are especially difficult for most. And yes, it can take some people years to get back to "normal" in all ways in their GI system. Try not to panic over changes. If things are too irregular with bm's it doesn't mean c diff. Go by the 3day rule. There are meds that can help you with IBS should it become necessary.

Rita

Upmaid
New User

Postby Upmaid » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:25 pm

Oh boy, I feel for you! I've been going through something very similar to you! I just tested for the NASTY and it was negative!
But in the mean time I'm still having the D. I'm waiting for blood work to come back..

Just know that your not alone, I've found this group so very helpful! I hope you get some answers soon!

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:29 am

Thank You! Yes it is a very confusing thing. And I never heard of "mild" cases of c diff before this last flair up of whatever this is. Hopefully just IBS. My question about the mild cases of cdiff is. Can it come and go? Meaning can you have watery bm for a few days? And then it subsides for a few days and returns? Or would the c diff symptoms stay the entire time and not improve and get worse? And what are the ways to kill a mild cdiff infections without having to go through a round or multiple rounds of antibiotics? Just wondering if anyone has had the mild case of c diff. Because from what you all have told me about your nightmares with it. Your cases were anything but mild. More like nightmares. As was mine. Took four rounds to kill mine off. The next step was a taper or an FMT.
This site has definitely been a lifesaver for me. You all have helped me more than my doctors combined as far as information. The good thing about my primary doctor is that she listens and does research on it. So I'll tell her about some things that you all have suggested and she doesn't snub it like other doctors have. Many times I will get a message from her confirming things you've told me. Is how I know she is at least doing her job and doing the research on it. But anyway. Thank you all so very much for all you do to help those of us like me who don't always retain information right away. Thank you for you patience and compassion. Have a blessed day.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:15 pm

My doctors told me to take Pepto Bismol for when I tested positive, but symptoms were mild. It worked for me, but best to check it out with your own doctor.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:08 am

I have a mild case of Cdiff and manage to live with it and try to let my body fight the infection on it's own although I still have loose stool , I do not have frequency , I just go once or twice in the morning , a few gurgles and some gas and that is it , still testing positive.

Return to “Too Much Information”