Internal Hemorrhoids

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Musings
Regular Contributor

Internal Hemorrhoids

Postby Musings » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Have been c. diff free for a few weeks, I believe but my GI is pushing for a colonoscopy (currently scheduled for next week) to rule out microscopic colitis, IBD (Crohn's), though I am suspecting, and hoping, I am merely suffering from PI-IBS.

As I continue to weigh having the colonoscopy now or not, going to ask my PCP to check for internal hemorrhoids this week since I have a follow up appointment anyway and think some of my current symptoms are related to them. The symptoms include a full/pressure in the rectum, rectal spasms, having the feeling of incomplete bowel movements, occasionally passing only tiny bits of stool (usually after a more normal stool), and also passing what I can only describe as flakes - not sure if they are mucus, stool, or undigested foods. Also had an incident the weekend before last with some bright red blood on the stool after a day with a lot of movements (stupidly enjoyed myself a little too much on New Years Eve).

Am honestly struggling on whether I should go forward with the colonoscopy or not. I am a 30 year old woman (weeks away from 31) and have been healthy except for an alternating hyper thyroid and a rare skin reaction in September/October - erythema multiforme. There is no history of IBD in my family except for my cousin with UC. Aside from days after stupid eating/drinking habits, am down to usually 1-3 soft but formed movements (sometimes more if you count the tiny stools passed), some gas primarily in the morning, stomach grumblings, and mild cramps/pains. My health anxiety is terrified that I have IBD but my sometimes more rational side is concerned that an invasive procedure like a colonoscopy will set my GI tract backwards after c.diff and three rounds of medication (flagyl, vanco, and dificid).

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Internal Hemorrhoids

Postby Ril » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:22 pm

I am not a dr however I will say that your symptoms sound typical of PI IBS and being in recovery.
The pressure and feelings of incomplete emptying are hallmark symptoms. Antispasmodic medications such as bentyl or hyoscayamine usually help with the spasms which cause pressure. I have been taking hyoscayamine for many years.
The blood needs to be addressed but small amounts of bright red blood on the surface of the stool is usually hemorrhoids. You are wise to address this with your PCP. You should also discuss the need for a colonoscopy right now also.

I think this subject has come up before and you still have to make a decision. My GI had the same concerns however since I too had no serious symptoms that needed to be quickly addressed so waited about 9 months or more before I had the colonoscopy. My GI was fine with that. And btw, I was fine.

Rita

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks Ril. Yes, I made another post also debating this issue.

This morning, had mucus tinged with blood and blood also more so in the stool than on it so think I will proceed with the colonoscopy. Understand that these symptoms could also be associated with the internal hemorrhoids but the increased mucus, blood, and cramps truly have me concerned.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Do have it checked out for your own peace of mind. Do agree with Rita but this way you will be sure.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:29 pm

My PCP also supports having a colonoscopy done. It will be around 2 months since active symptoms so hopefully this does not cause a relapse but will talk to my GI about getting a script for vanco just in case.

Return to “Too Much Information”