What's the Deal with M?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
KLor
Contributor

What's the Deal with M?

Postby KLor » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm glad this TMI board exists, because I have some TMI questions for everyone today--regarding PI-IBS and mucus.

So: around 8pm Sunday, I started on a 2ish hour bout of diarrhea. I went 6-8 times, nothing watery (actually, all soft but otherwise totally formed) but a lot of urgency. This is...not surprising. The day before, I (stupidly, yes, I know) ate a restaurant meal with bread and onion soup and steak and mashed potatoes and wine and chocolate cake...I basically poisoned myself. Anyway, this bout ended after one last stool when I woke up Monday morning.

Yesterday (Tuesday) and today (Wednesday) I have felt a lot of urgency, then gone to the toilet either to produce nothing or to produce only brown-tinted mucus. Over the last two days I have felt like I *could* go every single second (except when I'm in certain sitting positions), but I only *have* to go 4 or 5 times. In that time, I have also had 3 entirely formed, normal colored, normal smelling stools--one yesterday, two today.

What gives?

I realize that no one here is a medical expert, and I'm not asking for diagnosis. But has anyone experienced this before? Would it be reasonable to take some Pepto and see if that helps at all? My doctor wants to wait and watch right now, so we're not jumping to Dificid just yet. Other than this, I feel fine, and all my vitals are good. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: What's the Deal with M?

Postby amyc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:45 pm

It sounds like you have a good doctor. M just means your gut was bothered by something. Pepto calms things down for me but won't mask an infection. It sounds like you are doing well and in recovery for now.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 am

Agree with Amy , yuo overindulged and now you are paying the price , mucus is the sign of irritation not the sign of relapse. I would give Pepto a try , or maybe a binding agent like Questran. A peppermint or chamomille tea can also help.

Aurora88
Regular User

Postby Aurora88 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:15 pm

This also helped me... I've been doing well with recovery lately and then suddenly M and more frequency-- I was afraid I was relapsing.

My doctor also told me that the M can be from fats as well as irritation. I assume it just means the fats are harder to break down and may lead to irritation, but it's not always a sign of inflammation. I, like you, am having to recover from bad choices, in my case drinking too much coffee (starbucks is very harsh Dr. said) which, combined with sugar, I think lead me to what I'm experiencing now. There's just a lot of discomfort and itching down there that has come with it, though the M has resided a bit :(

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:38 am

You can try a fiber supplement if your gut tolerates it , helps with mucus .Getwellsoon had alot of mucus attacks in recovery and she took Metamucil and the attacks subsided.

Return to “Too Much Information”