Airborne spores while wiping?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
cody1
Regular User

Airborne spores while wiping?

Postby cody1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:52 pm

I have noticed that while wiping there's often little pieces of toilet paper that shed off and fly around, is it possible that if one of those landed in or on your mouth you could reinfect yourself? I know the spores can be airborne.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Airborne spores while wiping?

Postby AllisS » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:34 pm

This sounds like a highly improbable scenario.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:10 am

Stop looking on the toilet paper , stop looking in the toilet , stop imagining things that can't happen!!! You can't reinfect with something that already lives inside you , even if your treatment was successful I'm sure that spores are still left inside dormant and they can germinate again when your flora is unbalanced.

cody1
Regular User

Postby cody1 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:19 pm

georgina, so your saying that you don't think its' possible for us to reinfect ourselves with our own spores?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but just because you ingest a spore, doesn't mean that you will get sick with an active infection. As Georgina said, if you have the spore inside, an infection can happen if the good gut flora is knocked out of whack again. But, honestly you probably can pick up spores anywhere. And, I also would think that you would be shedding spores if you were still having D. I wouldn't worry about this too much, and just clean around the toilet properly. I can't believe I'm even saying this, but the chances of a piece of soiled toilet tissue hitting you in the mouth is most likely not going to happen as Allison said.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:48 pm

Agree. Try to stop worrying about improbable things.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:28 am

Exactly Cody. My opinion is that nobody can't get rid of the spores unless they decide to drink some bleach , but we can't do that . Spores can't be killed with antibiotics , so yes , if you already have spores in your guts , how can you reinfect yourself with something you already have???

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:09 pm

I recon that it will not be long before you ask if farts are a source of infection:-)
When I was a kid we used torn up newspaper or rich people used Izal.
Not much got airborn in those days.
Ask a silly question, you get a silly answer!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 am

You crack me up Roy :))

Return to “Too Much Information”