Getting closer to end of course, confusion, scared etc..

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
christos
Regular User

Re: Getting closer to end of course, confusion, scared etc..

Postby christos » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Went to the GP as mentioned, submitted a test and came back positive today.

He opened up the conversation saying that I can test positive for up to 8 weeks after my treatment.

After discussing my history, we came to a joint conclusion that while I have had 'bouts of B6, he isn't 100% convinced that it's a full blown relapse. His reasoning is that the vanco has probably screwed my flora and that it's natural to have episodes. In addition to this, he said that as well as the lack of B, and with the reduction in overall M it's not enough to indicate relapse. The 7BM3B6 attack happened 3 days ago, he claimed that if I had B6 over the past 3 days more than once in a days worth of movements, then he would have started treating me. He was also worried about over treating.

He asked me to come back in approximately 6 weeks, which should be the end of that 8 week period, and that he will test again to confirm. He said in the mean time, if I experience any B or significant M, that I need to return. When I get retested, or when I return I will most likely be placed on vanco, he said he would be happy to do a taper if that's what I want to do, and will assess the requirement for a GI/ID then.

I explicitly asked him why I haven't been referred to a GI/ID, and he told me that while he understands why I'm asking, he said I am not severe enough and that they too would most likely follow the same protocol given the symptoms and why it can wait till later.

I didn't really argue his diagnosis, nor push back on the lack of GI/ID as for the first time I felt he was asking the right questions, and took the time to actually talk me through it better. I also feel that, while it's probably risky, that it makes logical sense to me that my body may still naturally be fighting off the cdiff, I might be inaccurately pushing out dead cdiff, or it could be another non-malicious strain of cdiff all together ( i.e. to many possibilities) and without the lack of any other symptoms it's a hard call. I've been trying to juggle all the information I have found online, and weigh it all as best as I can. The thing that really seems to have stuck from me from research is "don't test for a cure" and "a good doctor will test on symptoms" and I can't really argue with someone doing exactly that, despite the disappointing test...

I've been off the kefir, BioK+ and sauerkraut for around 4 days or so now, only on SachB, so I'm thinking of introducing only kefir again to test my lactose intolerance. Once established I might introduce another Probiotic, we have one here with 30mill cells instead of the 50mill+, so hopefully the reduced cell count will effect me less. I'm not 100% convinced that I was tolerating BioK+, and who knows maybe BioK+ with Saurkraut was causing all the M. Probably won't introduce too much sauerkraut again as it doesn't digest well either way. And slowly try to introduce things one day at a time until I figure out what 100% doesn't agree with me, and see what partially agrees with me. I've been eating boiled chicken with boiled potato and rice so trying to use that as a base and introduce things one at a time.
Last edited by christos on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:42 pm

I think that sounds like reasonable advice. The most important part of the advice is to get back in touch if your symptoms get worse. I can't see why it would be a problem to add kefir back to your diet. I wish I could stand it, but even the smell is too much for me.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:19 am

I tested positive for months recently, but did not treat. The lab finally did another test along with the PCR and determined that I did not have a full blown c diff infection. I did not treat either, except to take Pepto Bismol on "off" days sometimes. I do not tolerate a lot of probiotics, so perhaps some of the supplements or the sauerkraut is causing some of the problem.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:05 am

Your doctor sounds smart and knowledgeable , others would have jumped right on meds just because the patient tested positive. A positive test along with mild symptoms doesn't require treatment , your body can recover on it's own if the infection is low grade. I am still testing positive for toxins but I decided not to treat since I do not have full blown symptoms, I do not take probiotics because they make my symptoms worse , no supplement , can't tolerate fermented food but I'm trying to rest , eat well, control anxiety with meds and not think about Cdiff all day and that's what helps me.

Return to “Too Much Information”