Mushy floating stool - POST 2nd FMT

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Mushy floating stool - POST 2nd FMT

Postby okaylo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:15 pm

I've been having urgency in the mornings with mushy or loose floating bits of stool. It's not completely watery but it's close to diarrhea and messy. It's oily and smells like food. Seems like a malabsorption problem. Maybe from IBS, SIBO, repeated antibiotics and other possibilities I'm sure. I'm also nauseous and shaky when this happens. It's accompanied by burning and abdominal pain. I'm having my liver, pancreas, and other major organs checked out but I'm worried. I was doing okay for about two weeks with formed bowel movements. Still had pain and some feelings of nausea but nothing like this. Anyone else experience this? Seems like my body isn't breaking down food properly and it's moving too quickly. I'm off all meds post FMT and am trying to give it time. I cannot handle fiber or any supplements. Antacids are probably what caused some of my problems when I took them for GERD and gastritis. Fixing one problem creates another and I don't want to put myself at further risk so I'm not taking anything. Doctor said immodium was safe for diarrhea but I know that's not a long term solution and doesn't get to the root cause. I'm still fearful of bacteria and cleaning but have been trying to cut down on it and just be good about hand washing. I'm an overly clean person to begin with but the fear is always there. Any suggestions help.
Last edited by okaylo on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Mushy floating stool - POST 2nd FMT

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:20 pm

I had that post FMT too or post c diff most likely. I do have chronic pancreatitis now and I also had SIBO. Wait and see what your lab tests show.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:36 am

Instead of taking immodium you should ask your doctor about antispasmodics to slow down your gut and calm down spasm , a binding agent like Questran to help firm up your stool and some pancreatic enzymes to help break down the food, those might come in handy. It seems like you and i are experiencing the same symptoms , i'm having everything you describe every morning but i am not shaky and my BM have no smell.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:45 am

Have you gotten anti-anxiety meds? The shakiness and nausea in the bathroom sounds like anxiety. Have you taken colestipol or questran? I take it every day and it's great for me. Some people have trouble tolerating it though.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks Beth. Waiting on labs and doing ultrasound this week.

Georgina, I've taken Bentyl and Levsin before with little success. I have also taken Questran before too and it helped but I don't want to back myself up and keep too much of the bad stuff in. I've taken Questran on and off for several months and was taking it for a while before I started meds prior to my FMT. I asked my doctor about taking this again and he said just give yourself time and take immodium if necessary since it's a very safe and mild option... I will see what the next few weeks bring. I know stress and hormones don't help matters. I hope you feel better soon.

Amy, I haven't gotten any anti anxiety meds but I have been on an antidepressant (Pamelor) before to slow my gut down and relax me but I was a complete zombie on the smallest dose and when I came off of it the withdrawal symptoms were terrible. My family didn't even recognize me because of how emotional I was. I will keep the anti anxiety meds in mind and talk to a counselor and my regular doctor about it. I have Questran at home right now if I end up really needing it.

All the worries run through my mind. Now I'm worried that the antibacterial hand wipes I have used for years could've hurt my transplant. Or using antibacterial soap. I have soothing hand soap at home and work now but my mind just worries on anything and everything. I know I can't control what soap I use when I'm in a public restroom or simply stop living because of what soap I may have to use it's just hard with all I've been through. I avoid public restrooms at all costs. I just have such a phobia of touching things and going places. It's no way to live and I just want some normalcy and happiness back.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:33 pm

The antibacterial soap won't hurt the transplant. Don't worry about stuff like that. You aren't going to ingest it. You don't want to have hands with germs on them either and wind up with an infection that needs treating. Just wash with the soap and rinse it off.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:59 am

There are meds other than Pamelor, whatever that is. I highly recommend you see a psychiatrist who specializes in anxiety and/or PTSD. There is no reason to live terrified of everything around you! I take lexapro daily and a little Xanax every night to help me sleep, and I am a normal person rather than an emotional wreck. My doctors have told me that Colestipol doesn't increase my risk of developing C diff, and the dose I take daily isn't enough to mask any kind of infection. My doc had me start with twice a day but I worked my way down to one small dose a day and have been on that same small dose for 4 years now.

You are letting fear rule your life, and there are doctors and medications that can fix that. Don't let fear of medication keep you imprisoned by fear.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:28 am

Pamelor is a tricyclic anti-depressant that actually is recommended in IBS but as Amy said , if you feel that it's not helping you or you feel bad while on it you should switch to something else. I've changed a lot of antidepressant until I've found one that helps me and doesn't have nasty side effects , but you won't find it on the American pharmaceutical market , it's sold only in Europe (Tianeptine).

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Beth, thank you for the reminder. I just worry as I have a few cuts on my hands and every little thought comes into play. Like the soap getting in there and affecting my gut. Silly, I know. I need to get the cuts better and heal.

Amy, I am going to a counselor next week (sooner if I can get in) and will hopefully find better ways to cope. If medication is necessary, I will ask for a referral to a psychiatrist. You are right about the fear controlling my life. I have to take control back.

Georgina, I appreciate your insight and information. Thank you.

Return to “Too Much Information”