Help...relapse looming?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
sevla
Regular Contributor

Help...relapse looming?

Postby sevla » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:06 am

Hi everyone,

I know I am spiraling right now, but I cannot even start to explain the despair and anxiety I feel right now.

I had watery green D on Sunday and blamed on getting my period that day and also eating greens (as I saw pieces of undigested kale in the mix - sorry for TMI). Monday morning and yesterday I had mush.. today I barely made it to the office to go to the bathroom and all I had was watery D with lots of M....

I am lost...not only am I puzzled to what is causing it, but also frustrated that I would have so much M 14 months after the FMT and after trying so hard to heal the gut.

I am trying to think what have I been using or doing different. I used a strong steroid cream behind the ears for 3 days and a middle strength one on the face for 2 days. Could this cause a relapse??...

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Help...relapse looming?

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:09 am

Hi Sevla - So sorry you aren't feeling well again. Have you submitted a sample yet? Honestly, you will worry yourself until you get tested and find out the results. I would make sure that they test for all pathogens. This could very well be a bug of some sort. Have you traveled recently, as I know you travel for work. I don't have an answer on the steroid cream, but my first inclination would be that it wouldn't affect your gut like that. Have you read through the side effects on the packet?

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 am

Thank you for the feedback, Lisa. I am baffled and really hope it's not the monster as I would not have an answer to why it would be back without taking antibiotics. I just read the side effects on the steroid creams and none mentions D or stomach issues (or cdiff).

Coincidentally enough I did the Genova stool test this weekend. My IM doctor and I wanted to check gut health one year after the one we did last year. I had to wait for yesterday for the 3rd day collection to have semi formed stools for the 3rd day (it is a 3 day collection test). However, it takes 2-3 weeks to get the test results. :-(

I will talk to my ID doctor to see if he thinks I should test or if to wait 1-2 days to test. I have not traveled outside of the US since July. I have been to Florida a few times since. I had a trip planned to Guatemala the last weekend of October (for a friend's wedding...my FMT donor...), but now I think I am too afraid...

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:49 am

Stevia, don't panic yet, although we all always go to that place automatically. Remember those who have never had c diff, and even we c differs in our past and in the post disease time, can still get intestinal bugs and/or eat things that start up PI IBS.
I will tell you although I did not have a FMT 4 yrs post c diff I have long intermittent problems with PI IBS and have a hard time tolerating many raw greens and salads. I also had problems with watery d and had to go on IBS meds. So while I don't discount your concern, I think without any risk factors you should also "try" to remain calm as it could well be something other than a relapse.

And as Lisa said, if it continues much longer testing is probably best.
Hoping for good outcome,
Rita

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Sevla

Sorry you are feeling so bad and I understand the fear and panic. I don't see how a topical steroid could be related but possibly what you have eater. IBS can flare up at any time and I find it with myself it is an on and off thing. Sometimes I cannot figure out why!
It sounds like you have already send out for testing, not sure if that included CDIFF?
Hope things improve for you!!
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:19 pm

I would test if I were you while you are having the D. But, test for other things - stool culture, parasites and so on. Hopefully, it is just a virus that you picked up somewhere. Let us know how you feel.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:19 am

Sevla
Do not despair over a few days of diarrhea , it could be something you ate or a common gut bug or a virus. Try not to think about Cdiff being the cause of all your stomach issues , I'm sure you had diarrhea before!!
Wait a few days and see if the symptoms subside , stay on a bland diet and be carefull about what are you taking for healing your gut , too many supplements or probiotics can make more damage then good. If you wanna get tested , just for a peace of mind , do it , it help's with anxiety. Remember anxiety is making your symptoms worse ,try to calm down or take something to help with that , drink a tea with calming effects like St.John's worth or camommile or ask your doctor about antianxiety meds.
Hope you get relief soon!

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Thank you all so much for the calming words and advices. I have felt better yesterday and today stools are back to normal (but with much more gas than usual).
I think it was too much sugar or greens I ate. I tried to remember the times I had mucus what had I eaten, and there is a common food: lots of sugar or something very sweet.

I think I definitely need to avoid sugar as much as I can (anyone should), because I do notice how my stomach feels off the next days.

I will get the Genova test results in the next 2-3. I am quite nervous about it actually. I would be very bummed if gut health is worse than a year ago, or if the good bacteria diversity did not increase.. :-(

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:39 pm

So happy you are feeling better!!!! Keep us updated!
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:00 am

Glad you are back to "almst normal". Sweets will definitely flare up your IBS you might need to stay away from those for a few days until everything settles down.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Raw kale is a laxative food, and cooked can have the same effect. I avoid raw kale like the plague. Very happy to hear you are doing better!

Return to “Too Much Information”