Soft mushy stools, may be primarily a post for women

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Soft mushy stools, may be primarily a post for women

Postby okaylo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:24 pm

I don't know if this should go in the FMT section but it's TMI so I figured I would put it here for starters. It's been a little over a week since I had my 2nd FMT. I got up this morning and had a soft mushy stool that required a lot wiping. It wasn't watery but it wasn't solid and clean either. I am 26 years old and feel like I am cleaning a baby's diaper on a daily basis. Anyway, when I wiped a very small fragment got on the seat and I freaked out like I usually do when I'm in the bathroom. I ran and got my cleaning supplies and bleached the entire toilet and wiped the seat with bleach spray, then full strength bleach, and bleach spray again. Needless to say it was more than taken care of in the cleaning department but the anxiety of going to the bathroom, seeing what's in there, and then God forbid it's messy, is enough to send me through the roof. I must've went through 6 or 7 pairs of gloves while I was cleaning. I was already an hour late to work at this point because these GI issues have been affecting me so greatly. It is also that time of the month so everything is more aggravated on top of the usual issues. I feel like such an unclean person and while I realize that the time of month is a fact of life that all women have to deal with, I really didn't need to add insult to injury this morning. It took me about 2 hours to get the bathroom and myself cleaned up before work. I have to go through my tedious routine of cleaning, washing my hands after cleaning, overwashing in the shower, washing my hands when I get out of the shower before I do my hair or brush my teeth and I even wash my hands again after I put my shoes on because I'm afraid of germs or anything being on my shoes. I know this is OCD and not healthy but I have not been able to shake this off. When I used to have solid stools I had little to no anxiety. Before cdiff I had IBS and all of the fun issues that go along with that. I controlled the D with Questran and while I still had pain and nausea I had solid stools and my life wasn't consumed with the bathroom. I never thought going to the bathroom would become such a big deal or that I would analyze and record all of my bowel movements. I am at the point where I am considering wearing a depend to leave the house because I'm so nervous. I know the added stress does not help but anyone who has been through cdiff will understand.

My GI doctor told me that I can take an Imodium for the loose stools as needed and that it will also help with the gas. I took some this morning to slow my gut down and am hoping it will give me a break even if just for a little while. I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement that this will get better. I just want to get up in the morning with confidence to face the day and be able to prepare for the day in a normal fashion. I miss the days of getting up, eating a breakfast that I actually liked, taking a shower and getting dressed (that didn't take an hour to get through), and actually enjoying life. Cleaning is the only way I feel in control but I know that it is at a point where it is becoming self destructive. I'm already thinking about coming home and washing my bedding which is clean but it makes me feel like I have control over something. I do laundry like 3 times a week and my Mom is so angry with me for all of the water I have used. My clothing is not soiled but again I feel like doing laundry is a feeling of control. Any words of advice are welcomed.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Re: Soft mushy stools, may be primarily a post for women

Postby Davidtm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:20 pm

I can relate to the cleaning and over cleaning habits. Sometimes I feel like I'm treating this as if it was Ebola. I can understand the need to be extra careful during early and active infection to minimize the spread of spores and bacteria. One thing that has helped me is the bleach healthcare wipes that kill c diff in 3 minutes: what I do is I do my business, wipe the lid then the seat with a wipe, close the lid, flush, wash my hands with soap, and go on with my day. I let it air dry which doesn't take long. The gloves I use are single use latex and I toss them in the bin next to the toilet. I toss them when the trash needs dumped. It's a simpler process than what I was doing before and find it has worked.
As far as my hand washing throughout the day I try not to overdo it. I think living too clean a lifestyle prevents the acquisition of new good bacteria from the environment. I was very sheltered as a kid in a super clean environment and have food, pet, grass, tree, dust, pollen, and you name it allergies. Think of how you would do your normal routine before c diff and try to slowly head back in that direction. Assuming you're cured from this second fmt you're not long from being able to face the world like you used to.
regarding the rest so long as the Dr isn't concerned you should try not to be. From what I hear things are all over the place for a while and stress can affect things. I love the 3 day rule here and think it's a great rule. But I wouldn't expect things to be all the way normal for a while. I hope they are soon for you though! I would say unless symptoms worsen, you get a positive test, or your doc tells you to worry then you should operate under the assumption that you are cured and in recovery. Which I'm sure you are! Fingers crossed! You're not alone. Remember humor and distractions. Work hard and fight for moments where you can just be you for a bit.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Have you asked the doctor if you should try the Questran again? I don't know if this is counterproductive to the FMT, but you can ask. I don't think it carries out good bacteria, but I really don't know. If it helped you before and it is not going to affect the FMT in any way, then maybe you can try it again. But, be sure to check because it does bind up medications and toxins - so maybe it binds up good bacteria too.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Davidtm, thank you for the little reminders. I think the anxiety and stress of it all magnifies everything and actually makes things worse. Plus the mother nature issues added to the pile aren't helping either. I agree that most people report that things are up and down for a while and just have to be dealt with day by day. As far as the cleaning goes, I know I'm overdoing it but I'm not at the point where I'm comfortable with leaving the gloves in the trash can by the toilet. When I clean, I have a cleaning bin and a separate trash bag that I dispose of outside, it's the only way I get any peace of mind.

I've also read on here that after an FMT a test to prove a cure should not be done as it takes time for the newly introduced flora to establish itself and regenerate... I have never had the watery D as an indicator for cdiff except for the very first time I initially contracted it. I have read many posts from people who have had recurrent cdiff minus the watery D as well. I guess it is truly on an individual basis for everyone as to what their experience is.

I know that my body has to start to heal itself and that requires extreme patience which is not easy for us or at least myself who wants immediate gratification. My doctor has reminded me that my body has been through a lot -- It has been stripped of bacteria and has been replenished twice. It has endured a lot of meds, infections, preps, and trauma. Plus, I have suffered with IBS and SIBO for quite some time so that is playing into the issues too. My doctor described it as you've suffered for a long time and the cdiff was something that you picked up and was along for the ride. The FMT is the ultimate probiotic.

I'm honestly just looking forward to being able to watch some Netflix and get cozy with my heating pad this weekend. I never thought relaxing would be so exciting. I'm supposed to take engagement pictures in 2 weeks and I'm trying to get to a happier place in order to be excited about doing them. Some things just don't seem like a priority when you don't feel good. I was once so excited about a wedding and now after all that I have been through I don't care about it all that much. Being sick and just wanting to get better really puts things into perspective. I wish you the best.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:21 pm

Beth, I asked him and he said for now he would just recommend Imodium as needed as it's a very safe and mild option. I took Questran after the first FMT and he was okay with it but I really don't want to take anything long term or unnecessarily. He told me that Questran just binds bile/toxins and slows the gut down but it would not affect the transplant. I do know that Questran lowers your cholesterol. Mine is already extremely low to begin with and the last time it was checked it was at 93. My doctor said the good news is I will never have cardiac problems or be at risk for a heart attack... So, I think for now I will just take an Imodium as needed and hope things begin to calm down in the coming weeks.

I'm not soliciting medical advice and I know that doctors opinions differ across the spectrum. Just my personal experience.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:20 pm

You can ask your doctor about birth control pills. They have some where you only have a period every 3 months and it's lighter. The name brand is Seasonique.

Return to “Too Much Information”