Ups and downs

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Ups and downs

Postby ashtontw » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi everyone...so I'm sure everyone reading my posts can see that I'm really struggling this go round.

Salmonella and 3rd time with C Diff now. I also feel as though I am getting another UTI. I feel like I'm gonna get eaten alive by infections.

I'm a week into Vanco now. Saw my GI today. I told her that I go back and forth between constipation and loose, gritty, green stool. Not quite D, but almost. And some M. She didn't seem at all concerned and told me she wasn't gonna treat me for the Salmonella because of the C Diff. My last two rounds of C Diff, my BMs were kinda regulated a week into Vanco and going back to brown with the yellow when wiping. Has anyone else had the gritty green stool stick around this long? I'm getting so discouraged.

I took an Azo UTI test and it came back "trace." They're most accurate in the morning, so I'm taking a second one tomorrow for confrontation on the UTI. I'm so scared. If I go back on an antibiotic for that, it'll surely kill me. 2 days of Bactrim for UTI caused this relapse.

I don't understand why I keep getting all of these side infections along with C Diff. I'm taking probiotics, echinacea, and trying so hard to eat and take care of myself.

Basically I need some reassurance and would be good to know if anyone else had similar stool troubles after a week into Vanco. :( thanks guys...sorry I keep being a pest on here.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Ups and downs

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Hello Ashton

The OTC UA test strips are not very accurate. The only way to know if you have a UTI is to have a UA and ALSO a culture and Sensitivities.
The Vanco can cause UTI's and bladder pain, frequency. Many of us have had these symptoms so please speak with your doctor about it before considering another antibiotic. If you need to, see a urologist. I looked up Vanco and printed it out for my urologist. I was in a cycle between Vanco and UTi's.
He reached a point and only treated if the culture was positive with above 60,000 colonies. In the end for me that was the smartest thing to do.
I started taking D Mannose which is a supplement he suggested and I also found several on this site that used it.
Thankfully, no UTI's since. It's possible you don't have a UTI, especially using the OTC test strips. If symptoms continue, get the tests done.
Drink plenty of water!
NanciT

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Nanci, thank you for responding! I know someone on here dealt with the Vanco and UTIs and couldn't remember who. The last one I had a week ago, was positive for >100,000 e. Coli. I only got 2/3 days of Bactrim in until I relapsed with c diff. But I had a negative UTI test in the hospital with my positive c diff test. So I figured the UTI was treated by the two days I managed to get down. My GI refuses to believe that UTIs can be caused by Vanco. An ER nurse told me about it and I mentioned it to her. She told me to stop listening to other doctors and looking stuff up when I told her that. Says if I don't listen to her, then she can't help me. I'm gonna call my primary in the AM and try to get in for a proper UTI test. I'm having pain on the right side of my back and flank, which seems to be an ongoing thing for me so don't know if I should relate to UTI and kidneys or not.

Did you have to go on other antibiotics while on Vanco? How did you break the cycle? I did go to my health food store and got a D Mannose supplement that you take for 2 days and it's supposed to help with UTI. The only reason I haven't started it today, is because I don't want it to alter my UTI test result tomorrow? I'm also itchy (very prone to yeast infections) and 4 days out from my period - so I just don't know!! I'm so terrified of antibiotics now, it's not even funny. Especially since I'm currently with C Diff! I can't even imagine if this really is another UTI :(

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:01 pm

I actually went online and printed out VANCO side effects ( Mayo Clinic) for my urologist. When I started Vanco over 2 years ago, these side effects were not listed. Since then, things have changed. My Urologist and GI consulted with an additional urologist and came to that conclusion. They all come from a very well known teaching hospital. I would print and bring into my primary, he can always talk with your GI. I don't know where you are with the CDIFF but you can always be switched over to Dificid if you are still being treated.
I am sorry the ER nurse said that to you. It can be very difficult if you are dealing with someone who does not understand what it's like to have CDIFF, a battle I have fought trying to educate others. I found this so frustrating and still do.
Hopefully you can get in with your primary and get that UA/C&S done.
Wishing you the best, feel better soon

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you Nanci! I went to my PCP this morning. I tested negative with the office test. She is still sending it off for a culture to be absolutely sure and isn't gonna do anything until we know if it is in fact a UTI, what its sensitive to, and after she calls my GI. She is treating me for yeast infection in the meantime to see if that may be the cause of the discomfort and also gave me the okay to try D Mannose. Hopefully it all improves over the weekend and the culture comes back with a big fat negative!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Great, often yeast can also feel like a UTI! Hoping the C&S is negative!

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:25 pm

Ashton

When I got severe UTI while on Vanco, I was treated with 10 days of Macrobid. I got cured , from both, probably because Macrobid is low offender, and also because I was still on Vanco, to which I really responded well. (knock on the wood, and praying to dear God it does not came back).

What I want to tell you that since that, I am never in the house without D Mannose. Even when I finished Macrobid at the time ( April), the UT problems lingered for a long time, but I was so persistent with the D Mannose that it actually finished my UTI - or at least I firmly believe so. You have to use it very strictly for at least 48 hours, everu three hours a teaspoon in a glass of room temperature water. Every three hours means during the night too. You simply must be persistent.

However, I am using only original Waterfall D Mannose powder, that I order from Britain ( original producer). It is probably just my mind, but I do not believe in other D Mannose products.

If you are able to order it from Britain, if you can afford it ,that is, - you can use Cal's D Mannose until that arrives.

I wish you all the best , and a very very speedy recovery.

Ismaila

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:50 pm

I have also been using D Mannose for several month per my urologist. I use the capsules and buy them on Amazon. He recommended them, so far so good!
NanciT

Return to “Too Much Information”