Timeframe after eating

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
PattieF
Regular User

Timeframe after eating

Postby PattieF » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi everyone. I have a question that falls into the TMI category. I have had c-diff and/or am recovering from it since May. Been on two round of meds (one recurrence) and off Vanco since about August 5th. My struggle and concern right now is knowing whether I am having a recurrence or if normal recovery process. I just had loose and baby poop diarrhea the first go round before diagnoses, and the second time I was tested was after one day having 2 urgent watery BM's. Now I have days with almost normal, and some baby poop type, and the other day I had the urgent watery type one time immediately after dinner (which is unusual for me as I'm normally symptomatic in the morning only). So I can't say definitely what my typical symptoms have been -or just 'know' it's back. I know have nearly a constant gut ache (left side) and have - since off Vanco - two instances of mucous which are very scary.

I read somewhere that it usually takes 4 days for what you ate to leave your body (the research I've been doing since I've had this never-before-heard-of illness!) I just started a food diary but apparently I am not very self-aware about my symptoms. As I've seen on this site and experienced, food can be a major issue. It's hard to tell if it's because of something I ate or if it's back. Especially not knowing how long it takes for the food you eat to go through your body. Is it possible to have an immediate reaction from eating something your body now deems harsh? If I have a problem one morning is that because of what I ate the day before or two days before or four? Does anyone know?

I live in kind of a remote area so I have to drive 20 miles to pick up a testing kit, and then 20 miles again to bring it to the lab. It seems it's always on a Friday that I get paranoid that it is back (and 2 of 3 times I've been right). Maybe I'm just being paranoid - this illness has done that to me. How dangerous is it to your body if you have it and don't treat it for a while because you are uncertain about the symptoms??

Thanks for listening!

Pattie

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Timeframe after eating

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Sometimes something that you eat will go through you within hours. People who don't tolerate dairy usually will have D 2 - 3 hours after. Some people process the food quickly and others it takes 4 days. It is difficult to say. I have had both things happen - something that I ate a few days prior or something I ate the night before or even hours before. Pepto Bismol is what I took for IBS after c difficile. You might ask your doctor if it is ok for you to try it. If you have c difficile, it won't do much to stop it, but it works pretty well for IBS type symptoms. The only other option is to test as you mentioned.

PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:59 am

Thank you beth22. I guess there is no rhyme or reason to any of this is there?? I hope the cure is out there because this is a horrible illness!

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:00 pm

I think both scenarios are possible. I know for me, if I eat greasy pizza I will be in the bathroom a couple hours later. I have also kept a food diary, and for me when I eat too much sugar or fast food, I will notice a change a couple days later. I wish knowing if cdiff was present was more cut and dry! It might be worth it to test for your peace of mind. Good luck!

PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks code3rn... I can't even imagine eating pizza or fast food at this point. Peace of mind... is that even possible with this illness?

Return to “Too Much Information”