WD from OTC medication?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Jill79
Regular Contributor

WD from OTC medication?

Postby Jill79 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Last night I felt the need to take an allergy medication, specifically one of my mother's OTC generic Zyrtec 24 hr tablets (Wall Zyr) due to some head congestion and also I thought the antihistamine would help some lingering frequent urination issues. I took 1 uncoated tablet late before bed, and on an empty stomach.

This morning I awoke to my first WD "accident" since I was a child that apparently happened while I was sleeping. I had nausea, horrible cramping and when I used the bathroom my urgent BM started as loose D but actually finished my new normal, soft and formed. Even after another bout of horrible cramping this afternoon, the other BM I had was also formed.

I'm probably answering my own question, since D can be a side effect of Zyrtec, the D seemed to resolve itself and I know my GI tract is still healing, but has anyone else had a D reaction to "safe" OTC meds either during C. Diff or post C. Diff?

Needless to say, I will not be taking another.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this since this morning's "incident" really freaked me out.

Thanks for listening.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: WD from OTC medication?

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 pm

Yes, I have had D from antihistamines, even children's dosage.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:03 pm

I became terribly ill ( went to ER) after taking AZO OTC post CDIFF. I have taken the same thing in the past with no issues, even the urologist could not figure out why it would make me so ill.

After 10 months of treatment, recovery had been slow and that was a very odd setback for me. I still don't know why, although another poster also said she became very ill from AZO also Post CDIFF.

It takes so long to heal sometimes, I think our systems react differently even to OTC meds we have used in the past with no issue.

Hoping you feel better soon!!
NanciT

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:13 pm

I can't take Zyrtec because it gives me a terrible headache, and I take OTC antihistamines every day for a mast cell disorder. Hopefully you just had a bad reaction to that and will feel better tomorrow.

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Thank you Beth, Nancy & Amy,

Your responses definitely provided the reassurance I needed! This illness, especially with me, is just so unpredictable and with this being my first bout of D since the very beginning two months ago, it was very unnerving to wake up to today.

There are just so many variables to this beast, like diet and what I can eat (still trying to get my appetite back), probiotics - currently taking 1 VSL 3 daily, cleaning & bleaching, medications (obviously), the constant fear of reinfecting myself by accidentally ingesting spores, the worry over my retest early next week as well as my GI and his assistant out of the office until after Labor Day and the unpleasantness of dealing with the office staff.

The hardest thing I'm trying to cope with is not knowing if I'm in recovery or not since I'm one of the special cases where I luckily didn't have constant bouts of WD but, because of that, no way of really knowing if I was and am improving with treatment. I do know that I feel moderately better than before treatment and the relapse and I know I'm not being positive enough but I'm desperately trying to be.

I know I'm just stating things you've all experienced or heard before, I'm just praying that both my doctor and I are doing all the right things to get this horrible illness in check. I can honestly say that a lot of times the anxiety and worry is worse than the illness itself. I am on anxiety medication and in weekly counseling, so I'm doing everything I can to work on it.

I can't stress enough how much of a godsend this forum and all of the wonderful moderators and contributors are! Thank you so much!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Jill

CDIFF and the gut/emotion connection plays havoc with all of us especially once treatment is complete,then the fear takes over. It is a terrible fear and has taken me a long time to get over it. I wish I had a good answer for it, other than know that you are in recovery and it will take some time to get through.

I also feel its tough finding people(including physicians) who understand what this entire illness is like....unless you are on this site with the illness. There are people who are treated once, do well and move on. For others, it's not easy.
Time is what heals and helps us get through the mental part of this recovery
It all takes time, you will get there. Just allow yourself to walk through this
NanciT

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Thank you for your kind words and support Nanci.

The Zyrtec definitely was the cause of my incident the other day and I'm relieved to know that it wasn't a major setback in my recovery. Strangely I felt better after I was off the Flagyl before my relapse than I do off the Vanco. I'm sure it's due to a second round of powerful medication doing a number on my system and the frustration and anxiety that it could still not be a battle I've won yet. Did the Sea Bands help your appetite much? I haven't been wearing them the past few days because I feel more bloated than nauseous, but it's still hard to feel hungry and I know I should be eating more. Even after the Flagyl I found myself snacking, especially late at night. Lately I don't crave anything and my biggest meal is usually dinner.

I'm trying though, little by little, even if it's just trying to comfort others on this board. I'm still hopeful of a negative test next week and an improvement in how I feel, no matter how slowly it comes.

Thanks again! :)

Return to “Too Much Information”