Consistency change in bowl?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Jill79
Regular Contributor

Consistency change in bowl?

Postby Jill79 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:20 pm

Ok, so since I'm trying to gauge my recovery without WD I always take note of the consistency of my BMs, as I know most all of you do, but I have a really strange question.

This morning I felt what I thought was a soft formed BM, immediately looked to check, and it was - soft, thinly formed no B or M so I was excited, yay! Then after sitting for at the most 2-3 minutes more in the event I wasn't finished and also had to pee, I looked again and it had fallen apart to the loose lumpy mild D-like consistency I've been noticing for the past week or so. Most of my BMs have of lately felt similar, soft formed and plop when hitting the water, almost pre-C Diff. with the exception of the harder sometimes C ones I would get when I wasn't on such a bland, softer diet.

I'm wondering if this has been happening all along. I mean I don't sit there for hours, just a few minutes, but needless to say I will be checking the bowl immediately from now on just to be sure.

My question is - Could a chlorine bleach tab, urine or the amount of time the stool sits at the bottom of the bowl cause it to fall apart or change consistency and should a BM that changes in the bowl be of any concern if no B or M?

roy
Administrator

Re: Consistency change in bowl?

Postby roy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:27 pm

100% normal and a good sign of recovery.
Sometimes I can't help laughing about how much detail someone goes into!
When was the last time you were able to use the word "plop" in a conversation:-)

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:28 pm

Thank you Roy, I saved "plop" exclusively for the TMI forum! :)

I'm just mad my toilet has been deceiving me all this time!! haha

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:44 pm

I often have stool that falls apart in the water. It comes out formed and after 2-3 seconds it starts to crumble. I had that even while on Vanco , so i don't think that it indicates active infection. If you don't wanna be deceived , don't look!! :))

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:52 pm

But Georgina, it's like the end of the movie, I would hate to miss it! just kidding. :)

I'm still on my first round of Flagyl so since I only presented with WD before I tested, I've been keeping track until I finish the treatment so that I can properly inform my PD and GI of my progress.

Thank you both for making me feel reassured and making me laugh! :D

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:00 am

Hahaha , what a comparison :)) , "the end of the movie"!! Love your sense of humor , this is what you need to get trough the hard days of Cdiff. Whit that attitude you will kick Cdiff's ass in no time!!
Remember 80% of people get cured from the first or the second round of meds.

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks again Georgina for the support, my sense of humor had taken a backseat to how crummy I've been feeling between the C. Diff and the poison that is Flagyl. I forgot how therapeutic laughing can be!

I am so grateful to have found this board and the wonderful people on it!

Hope you are well! :)

-Jill

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:36 pm

You are still on Flagyl? My BM's were never "normal" when on vanco or flagyl. So I wouldn't worry too much. If after you are done and the WD or M comes back, then there is more cause for concern. Fingers crossed this does the trick for you!

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:36 am

Hi and thank you Code3rn,

Finished the Flagyl this afternoon, almost felt like having a cake to celebrate! Or smashing the empty RX bottle into tiny bits! haha

Yeah even my mother who knows zip about C. Diff kept telling me it was the medication and it does makes sense because it felt like ingesting poison.

Now I'll just have to see how it "goes". :)

My fingers are crossed too. Thanks for the support!

Hoping you are well!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:42 am

Congrats for finishing the Flagyl , i know you had a hard time with it . It was poison for me too , but unlike you i couldn't take it maore then 7 days , i felt like i was going to die while on it , it made me vomitt my guts out , couldn't even keep tea and water.
Fingers crossed that this has done the trick for you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:50 am

Have a good weekend. Georgina.,your puppy is so sweet.

Site is going crazy - usually slows down in the summer - five new posters today.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks Bobbie , hope you have a great weekend too. I just went with the puppy to the vet for another deparasitation , and hopefully this time he won't eliminate worms and i can do his vaccins. I can't wait to take him out for walks , poor puppy , he stays inside the house all day long.He is bringing me so much joy!
Agree , the site is kinda' busy. Can't wait for a real cure , Cdiff makes a lot of victims.
Jill - sorry we are hijacking your thread!

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:26 am

Please don't apologize! Hijack away! :) Thank you both for all you do here!!

Georgina - yes if I do need another round, it will NOT be Flagyl! Hope your puppy feels better soon!

Oh and first post Flagyl BM was harder / formed and didn't fall apart or disintegrate at all! Probably the meds code3rn! I finally slept a little longer and other than the pre BM stomachache and a little mild pain now, I'm excited to see what the future brings over the next few days and weeks. I retest in two weeks. I'll keep you posted! :)

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Jill, why are you retesting in 2 weeks? If you have no symptoms you can consider yourself cured!!! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...or there could be ways to say it differently in this case but it would be crass!
It is not considered "best practice" to test for cure. And if you were to get a false positive and have no symptoms, which could happen, you should not be treated or you could end up with a real problem as good flora would be wiped out for no reason.
You can read about this on the site.

Here's hoping you continue to do well.
Rita

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi Rita,

Thank you for the reply and support. I have read about the possibility of a false positive test and how recovery should be based on symptoms, etc., however I was instructed to retest a month after starting the Flagyl by my primary doctor from the very first phone call I received telling me I had tested positive. He reiterated to retest when I had a follow-up office visit and I already have the kit and authorization form. He did agree that if I was feeling better and my symptoms improved then I was getting better, however since I only presented with mild WD a total of 3x for 3 days 2 weeks before I even got tested it's been difficult to gauge my recovery. I'm surprised he even suggested to test to begin with without all the classic symptoms, but thank god he did!

My symptoms were dull abdominal pain, an occasional extremely low grade fever of 99.1, chills, sweats, no appetite, weight loss, nausea, insomnia and the worst panic / anxiety I have ever experienced. Most of these symptoms have abated, with the exception of some dull belly pain and a wave of nausea here or there so I do feel that I am getting better.

I see my GI on Thursday, I will add the retest question to the list and see what he has to say. If I'm not showing symptoms and still test positive I will definitely question whether to treat again or not, otherwise if I test negative and feel great, it will give me even more peace of mind, especially with the 'what if's' that come with an anxiety/panic disorder.

Again, I do appreciate your input, in fact your post reminded me to add the question to the list for the GI so thank you! :)

Hoping you are well!

Return to “Too Much Information”