Finally recovered, now blood?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
CPM42
New User

Finally recovered, now blood?

Postby CPM42 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Hello everyone, haven't been here in a while. It's a great community, but it's nice to not have to refer to it all the time!

So, I had ear infections that lead to my CD infection. The second round of Flagly back in December seemed to take care of things.

I had surgery in March to fix the hole in my ear drum (a tympanoplasty, gooood times) that was pretty successful. I just had a check up appointment with my ENT surgeon and it looks like the graft took, but I've still got a pinhole hanging about. The doctor says most of the time those close up themselves, but I head back in December and if it hasn't, there's an in office procedure to plug that type of thing up.

I had a couple of scares, but gradually things started to normalize. VERY gradually. It took about 6 months to really get back to a normalcy in terms of, let's say, firmness when it comes to BMs. I couldn't exercise leading up to and after the surgery, but in May I was finally able to start up again. I was feeling great, getting back to my routine and reintroducing some foods I'd been missing.

Last month, I assume due to the newly restored firmness + whatever damage CD caused to my GI system, I started having trouble with bleeding when having BMs. Very lucky for me, I'm not in pain and I don't have any cramping to speak of. Most of the time, when it happens I don't even notice until I've sat up and see that it has. Sometimes there's a couple of drops in the bowl, sometimes it's only on the TP. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week. I can't pinpoint particular behaviors or foods that are causing it.

I went to my physician, and at his office it wasn't possible to determine the cause. Everything that he could see/detect seemed normal to him. He said that at my age (34) and health, he would normally just chalk this up to hemorrhoids and recommend a dietary fix. But, he said that since I hadn't had this issues before and CD is in my recent past, there's no way to be sure unless I get a colonoscopy.

That was scheduled for July 20th, but I cancelled that and instead requested a general visit to the gastroenterologist, due to some questions and concerns I have. I usually don't do that, which is strange, because I'll be cautious and do my research when buying a new computer or gadget, but when it comes to my health for some reason I just go, "Okay doctor!" Basically, I would like some reassurance and information about my condition and the procedure. I don't like just going right to that without taking a step or two in between. Should I be concerned that either the preparation for the procedure or the procedure itself could cause a relapse or trigger the CD in some way? That idea has been weighing on me.

Sorry for the long winded post. I don't want to keep playing internet doctor, the diagnosis will just be "oh, you have turbo cancer just go right to the mortician."

Has anyone had similar experiences? How concerned should I be? I'm getting pretty anxious, it's been 8 months of every type of medical confusion and it's really wearing me out.

Thanks again for any insight/help, this community has really helped me in the past. I hope everyone gets to experience a recovery soon!
I c things diff-erently now.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Finally recovered, now blood?

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:32 pm

It sounds like hemorrhoids to me. Ask the GI if you can do a sigmoidoscopy instead. Less prep and I don't think they have to put you under.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:29 am

What kind of doctor did you see? A colon and rectal surgeon (used to be called proctologist) can put a small scope in the rectum and see if you have hemorrhoids or a fissure. I would do that first and if nothing is seen, do a sigmoidoscopy. The problem is that not many doctors do them anymore. They always suggest a colonoscopy. Luckily, my GI did a couple on me rather than doing a colonoscopy. The prep is just a Fleet's enema, not a laxative that you have to do a whole washout with.

CPM42
New User

Postby CPM42 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Thank you for the responses beth22 and amyc. I'm sorry I did not respond earlier, I didn't get any email notifications about your replies. Guess I'll have to check my settings.

At this point, I have only seen my physician. Had a quick exam in his office, he couldn't find anything, then he suggested the colonoscopy.

My appointment with the GI doctor is Aug. 2nd. Thinking I'll go through what has been happening with me, narrow down what it could be and (thanks to suggestions here) ask about a sigmoidoscopy instead. I'm hoping it's just more of the ridiculous recovery time from CD.

I just really do not want to risk another CD bout. But, I also need to know what is going on with me.

Thanks again!
I c things diff-erently now.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 pm

You will not get emails re responses unless someone sends you a private message.

If you have a sig flex, I would ask for a mild sedative. It does not show as much as a colonoscopy but does not have the risks.

Best of luck.

Return to “Too Much Information”