IBS or CDiff Relapse

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
jab0066
Regular User

IBS or CDiff Relapse

Postby jab0066 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:43 am

Hello all, I have been doing much better since last year but recently I started having some worrisome symptoms. I became constipated but when I passed stool, it was small and loose. The stool comes out solid, but breaks apart in the water, slightly tinting it. I occasionally have a watery stool after a greasy meal, but mainly stool that breaks apart two to three times a day. I have slight stomach discomfort and is very gassy. I have gurgly, liquid sound going through my colon. I am also nauseated at times. Does my symptoms and stool sound like a relapse, or IBS. Just looking for opinions. I recently lost my job and I don't have any insurance. It makes it hard to deal with issues like this.
Justin

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: IBS or CDiff Relapse

Postby amyc » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:28 am

Hi Justin, sorry to hear you lost your job and are feeling unwell. The only way to rule out C diff is to have the test, unfortunately. If you don't have blood in your stool it's safe to take pepto bismol. I've had several doctors tell me that if Pepto solves my problem then it's not C diff. If your symptoms get worse you should probably be tested.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:38 am

Sometimes malabsorption can cause those kinds of stools. That can be caused by various things, including IBS and SIBO. Pepto used to help me with that as well.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Jab0066
Sorry you are having issues and to hear you lost your job. Your symptoms do not sound like a Cdiff relapse , they sound more like a IBS flare-up but like Amy said , the only way to know is to get tested. Try to eat bland for a couple of days and see if things are firming up.

jab0066
Regular User

Postby jab0066 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I will give Pepto a try today and see what happens. I will call my GI to see how much a stool test would cost me without insurance. I'm sure its more than I am willing to pay, but at least I will know.
Justin

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:45 pm

Some labs give a discounted rate if you do not have insurance. Check around. I think Quest is one of them, or at least used to be.

jab0066
Regular User

Postby jab0066 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks Beth!!! I did call around and found a test for only 60 bucks. I did run into your post about the c diff returning for you. I am so sorry to hear that and still you are here being supportive for everyone else. I hope you can rid yourself of this awful infection for good soon. Thanks again for your help and support.
Justin

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi! In my opinion, based on my personal experience, it sounds more like IBS than C diff. I've been retested for c diff 3 times now and I'm only 2 months c diff free!! All negative. I could have sworn I was relapsing every single time but never was. Nausea, loss of appetite, 5-6 loose stools upon waking(formed but loose), weight loss. Drives me crazy but my GI finally said its PI-IBS brought on by stress or anxiety bc I eat VERY bland most of the time. I've had two food slip ups and definitely got IBS from that as well. Hope you feel better soon. Of course, if your symptoms keep getting worse you'll know to get checked out!! For me the fever part was the only thing different with my active c diff and IBS.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:23 pm

I also agree with what the others have said. If you have been doing better all this time and nothing has changed in terms of exposure, chances are that it is IBS. I am 3 1/2 yrs out and my GI dr told me this week that my bad IBS symptoms are still from PI IBS, so there is no time limit on that for some people. If it is a full c diff relapse it will get much worse- and the pepto won't help. Your job loss, anxiety, etc all play into IBS and your symptoms can certainly match. Here's hoping.
Rita

jab0066
Regular User

Postby jab0066 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks CM and Rita, things have improved greatly this past weekend. I hope that it continues. Thanks again for the feedback.
Justin

Return to “Too Much Information”