Frequent stool with probiotics?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
margi18
New User

Frequent stool with probiotics?

Postby margi18 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi all. I am in recovery from c diff, 22 year old female, took flagyl. I have been drinking kefir for about a week, and have also started floragen-3 (the pharmacy by me doesn't carry floraster but the pharmacist said I'd have the same results). Well, I'm suddenly passing a lot of BM. it's shockingly similar to the BM I had before c diff, and it's all formed. But I am having a lot of cramping, and I keep going! I've gone four times today already, all formed, but before c diff I was a once a dayer. It's solid so I don't think it's c diff, but is this normal?? Everything online says to expect bloating and gas, but I can't find any info about frequent formed BM. Has anyone has that after starting probiotics??

roy
Administrator

Re: Frequent stool with probiotics?

Postby roy » Wed May 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Florajen 3 is not related to florestor, your pharmacist just wanted to take your money.
Anything you see after c.diff is normal if its not D.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:27 pm

I do think that probiotics can make you go more frequently. That is my opinion anyway based on my experience with my daughter. Whenever I put her on a probiotic, she goes much more. My husband actually says the same thing when he takes them.

And, a lot of us can say the same thing - that our BMs never went back to how they were pre c-diff. We all have new normals now. You are not alone!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:42 pm

I can only take a small amount of probiotics because I have to go a lot more and I also get tons of gas and sometimes D, or at least loose stools.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed May 25, 2016 11:06 pm

I order Florastor online...
Scott

margi18
New User

Postby margi18 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks for the input all. I might dial it back on the kefir for the time being then. I'm just very afraid of getting sick again, plus I work in a nursing home that has had frequent c diff patients, so I feel like those darn spores are everywhere and I want a line of defense. I gotta say, obsessing over avoiding c diff again is almost as taxing as when I had it.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat May 28, 2016 11:21 am

I can't take florastor at all because it causes major gas for me. Most seem to tolerate it just fine though.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm like Amy. I get major gas and also looser stools, even though it is supposed to firm up the stools. I also got a rash the last time I tried it, even with a different brand of Sac. Boulardi.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat May 28, 2016 8:50 pm

I have no problem with Florastor but only take it now when I think I may need an antibiotic.
My GI dr friend recommends Align for a daily probiotic. It has never given me a problem.
There is a brand of probiotic Costco sells that a friend takes. I tried it and while Align and Florastor are fine, that one gave me horrible d. So it shows you how individualized they can all be.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun May 29, 2016 12:34 am

I never tried the Florastor brand , but Jarow's Saccharomyces boulardii+MOS was the only probiotic that helped bulk up the stool although it gave me gas too.

Return to “Too Much Information”