Passing smelly brown mucus after non diahrrea BM's. Why?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
SavvyK
New User

Passing smelly brown mucus after non diahrrea BM's. Why?

Postby SavvyK » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:51 pm

Ok so back in late January I developed c.diff after needing to take clindamycin for strep throat. I was put on 10 days of flagyl/ metronidazole (generic) for 10 days (I responded really well to the initial treatment). 6 days into treatment I developed what seemed to be an allergic reaction to the antibiotics so I stopped taking it and immediately scheduled an appt with my doctor to discuss options. While on the antibiotics for the c.diff I was taking regular OTC probiotics to help prevent relapse as well as help build back my gut flora. during the follow up I discussed my concerns about not finishing the treatment as well as worry about having to go on another round of antibiotics because I've been on two rounds already in the space of 2 months. They decided to retest my stools and my results came back negative for c. Diff. By that time I was already having solid bowel movements. 3 days after getting my results back I started having diahrrea again for a whole week expect it wasn't as bad as the first time I had c.diff. This time I went to a new doctor with a subspecialty in infectious diseases and I told him my concerns and updated him on my history. He told me to watch it and in the mean time only had me do a blood test which came back normal for no signs of infection. After a week the diahrrea stopped again and my stools started turning back to solid, the scent decreased, the mucus decreased and the blood I was seeing on my stools decreased to the point I wasn't seeing either anymore. Now two weeks later I'm starting to see a lot of brown mucus when I wipe, but my stools are coming out normal and brown.

I have been starting to take floraster and another new set of probiotics as of last week I believe. Could the floraster and probiotics be causing me to pass a lot of mucus when I wipe after a bowel movement? I never had this issue before the C.diff. Then again I didn't start taking probiotics until I developed c.diff. Could I be having another C.diff relapse or is this a normal part of recovering from C.diff? I've only had my stools tested one time after I took the last course of antibiotics and it came out negative, but what about what's going on now? My doctor told me the first time my diahrrea stopped that it probably cleared on its own and to eat a lot of yogurt which I have. I just don't get why firm stools, but a lot of brown mucus when I wipe. The mucus actually has a slight c.diff smell, but it's nothing as bad or compared to when I had c.diff before. it's VERY toned down. My stools also don't seem to smell. This has been going on for the last 3 days now. Any speculations?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Passing smelly brown mucus after non diahrrea BM's. Why?

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:25 am

M can just be from inflammation. I have had it post c diff without having a relapse. Probiotics can give GI symptoms, including M to some people, so that may be a possibility. I remember that I took Pepto Bismol before when I was having a lot of M and it helped, but unless you start getting looser stools, I would not take it because you don't want to get constipated either. I would not worry too much about it, but would watch to see if it gets worse. If you start getting D again, then I would re-test.

SavvyK
New User

Re: Passing smelly brown mucus after non diahrrea BM's. Why?

Postby SavvyK » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Hey thanks Beth22

I think I'm gonna cut back on the floraster and dairy products in my diet for awhile to see if it makes a difference in the M I've been having. I have heard floraster is suppose to act as a lubricant to your colon so maybe that has something to do with it too. Also, I will look into the trying some pepto bismol because the M is getting a bit annoying and don't want to reinfect myself because of it.

Return to “Too Much Information”