C diff symptoms returning

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Jimmy34
Contributor

C diff symptoms returning

Postby Jimmy34 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:28 pm

So I've been on 3 rounds of antibiotics. I felt great all week. And I even posted yesterday of no symptoms at all. Now today out of nowhere. I feel horrible. Diarrhea, multiple times And watery BM the last time I went. Feels like I have to go again. Nauseous and I feel a bit feverish. How can this come back so strong so fast? My kidneys hurt still from the antibiotics. First they put me on metronidazole (Flagyl) 10 days 3x500mg. Then they put me on dificid 10 days 2x200mg. And this last time vancomycin for 14 days 4x125mg. All since dec 29. So my kidneys are shot I feel. I am taking probiotics florester, VSL#3, and drinking kefir daily.
I am hoping it'sthe IBS thing from the antibiotics
And not c diff returning. It is crazy how fast things can turn so fast. Has anyone else had these syptoms after antibiotics and it was not c diff returning?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: C diff symptoms returning

Postby NanciT » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi Jimmy

IBS symptoms can be all over the place. Often people will feel well, then they may eat something that irritates, get stressed out, there are many reason for things to get irritated again . It all take time. Look up the 3 Day rule under CDI, we have alot of information there.
There are also alot of Flu's going around, especailly if you felt you had a fever. Many of us Post CDIFF get this fear that it is back if things start to act up. Just keep tract of your symptoms and give it some time, if it were to continue, follow up with your GI.
Are you taking any probiotics? I have continued on VSL#3 which helps with IBS symptoms
Hope you feel better soon!
NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:54 pm

I agree with Nancy. It could be a virus or IBS. Although a fever usually doesn't accompany IBS. I had a virus when I was in recovery that mimicked c-diff. I thought I was relapsing, but I followed the 3 day rule, and as time went on, I started to improve, so I knew it wasn't a relapse. I had a fever with that virus. Ironically, I didn't have a fever with c-diff, although I felt like I had one with chills and shakes all the time. See how you feel tomorrow, but if things get worse and start to go downhill, contact your doctor. God forbid this is a relapse, maybe a taper pulse of Dificid or vanco should be the next step or even an FMT. Just remind yourself that you will have off days, and this could very well be one of them.

Hope you feel better tomorrow,
Lisa

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:16 am

Sorry you are feeling ill, agreed with the others, give it some time. Could be IBS, could be a virus. If it's a relapse, you could try a long vanco taper. Sometimes taking medication for longer periods of time, and tapering the dose can help with relapsing. Again, I hope it's just some IBS. Let us know how you do!

-Sarah

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:06 am

Hopefully, it is a virus, but if you are feverish tomorrow, get a test. Some people get D and GI symptoms with a lot of probiotics. I found that I could tolerate them when I was taking the vanco, but once off, I couldn't. I had to try various before I found one that I could tolerate some, but even now, I just take a small amount. If I take more - cramping, lots of gas, and D.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:08 am

Making an appointment with my GI today. About 7 watery BM in a row now since yesterday afternoon. Also discomfort in my rectum comes and goes. Not sure if it's from all the BM or something else. So hopefully it's just a result of the c diff returning and nothing more serious than that. C diff is bad enough.
Can't for the life of me figure out why it keeps returning? Will be the 4th time since late December. Maybe will ask about the vanco taper. I'll let you all know what the doc says. Thank you for the support and information.

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:08 am

So sorry you have to keep dealing with this, Jimmy. Keep us updated on how your appt goes. Ask for another c.diff test. Praying for you!

-Sarah

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Ugh, so sorry you are having multiple watery D's again. Let us know how your appt goes, and I do think a dificid or vanco taper would be your next step.

Hang in there,
Lisa

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:02 pm

Well my GI is not in today. And have been waiting for the doctor on call to call me back since last night. But when I told the nurse my syptoms and concerns they put me on another cycle of vanco for 10 days. But I wanted to talk to the doctor before starting this round. So it's becoming frustrating. Called my primary doctor and i got an appointment to see her Monday. I did however have a bm that had some D that wasn't watery. So there is a chance that maybe it is IBS. Just a bad case of it. That's what Im praying it is. But I want to actually at least speak to a doctor before I put my body through another round of antibiotics.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:28 am

I think that is a good idea and you should test before you start antibiotics. Can you get someone to order a test for you tomorrow? Maybe the on-call doctor?

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:46 am

Finally spoke with the on cal GI doctor. He told me to take the antibiotics. Said that 9 watery bm in a day is definitely not ibs. Said that after this round if not cleared up? A taper of a six week cycle would be next or a possible transplant. Also said that I should make an appointment with my regular GI next week to discuss things and a possible colonoscopy. Monday I see my regular doctor to talk about possible blood work to test for other issues that could be the reason for the c diff returning. By my request. To help put my mind at ease. They continue to insist theu believe it is from the amox/clav. And that I'm just one of the one's that just has a harder time getting rid of it. But I need to be certain at this point. So I have my questions ready for my doctor on Mondays appointment. And will also make an appointment to see mt GI as well. Maybe I'll get lucky though and this round of vanco will do the trick. Praying to God that it will.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:51 am

Should I continue to take the VSL#3 and kefir with the floraster, since im back on the vanco? Or should I just take the floraster? since someone says the vanco does not kill that one but does kill the bacteria in the VSL#3.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:45 pm

I took VSL-3 while on vanco, but spaced them apart a few hours. There is no way of knowing if the vanco killed any of it or all of it though.

Also, I would ask about doing a taper/pulse this round of treatment. You have already taking 3 rounds, so I think it's time for the taper. That's my opinion and what I would do if it were me.

So sorry you are still dealing with this.
Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:47 am

I took the VSL#3 as well and spaced it apart. I don't think it kills all of it because I felt better after starting it. Vanco does not really agree with me that well, but with the VSL#3, it was better.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:06 pm

Vanco only kills gram positive bacteria.
If a probiotic is gram negative it survives.
With Dificid I would think that all the probiotics would survive.
I have not seen any studies on this but it might be worth researching what gram strain a probiotic is.

Return to “Too Much Information”