relapse or no?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
katey
New User

relapse or no?

Postby katey » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:31 am

I had gotten cdiff back in November, took all my medications and then started taking probiotics twice daily. My poo was never really watery except for one day it's was nothing but water. I began feeling better. Then, just yesterday, I started my period and got diarrhea again. I did some research and it says that during your girly cycle, it's normal to get diarrhea and have a little mucus in your stool. It also says that it is not unnormal to have mucus in your poop as long as its not too much or as long as there is no pus or blood in the stool. I have seen a little mucus but nothing major. I haven't taken any antibiotics a d I swore to never take anymore unless I absolutely have to. Can you relapse without taking antibiotics? I went back to my doctor and he said they cannot test my poop unless it's watery. It cannot be formed at all. It's pretty much formed. It was hard and normal until I started my period. So does this sound normL to any ladies out there? Someone please tell me.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: relapse or no?

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:52 am

Yes, its normal to get D before, during or after your period. I used to get it also. Try not to worry about mucous either, I had it for months and used Metamucil to clear it up. I was sure I was relapsing but I never was. Hang in there, those hormones do lots of things to the gut during your periods. Hope you feel better.
CAROL

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:24 am

Hi Katey
Around period i have more issues than i usually do: runny stool , sometimes mucus,abdominal discomfort.You can also have some iffy days after CDiff (without period) when you will get bouts of diarrhea that can be food related or can be simply PI-IBS but they don't last more then 2-3 days.See CDI-IBS Three day rule.Unfortunatelly yes , you can relapse after Cdiff treatment without taking antibiotics for other infection.The relapse time frame is from 3 days to 12 weeks after your last vanco or flagyl pill.Let's hope it's not a relapse and it's just hormones or IBS , but if things are getting frequent and more symptomes are comming back (fever,vomitting,pain) then you should give your doctor a call.Hope you will start feeling better soon.

katey
New User

Postby katey » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:23 pm

I think it's just hormonal because I haven't had any other signs. I only get softer stool after eating something dairy or after I drink a frappe from McDonald's. I only have about 2 bowel movements. I've heard that a lot of women's health goes off balance with their periods. I was just fine before that .

Boonie
Brand New Poster

Postby Boonie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:56 am

"The relapse time frame is from 3 days to 12 weeks after your last vanco or flagyl pill."

Really? Does that mean after 12 weeks we're in the clear? More or less.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:53 pm

It means that it is much less likely, but I have had relapses months afterwards - 4 month, 7 months. It varies. Once you have had c difficile, you will always have to be careful about antibiotic use and only take them when absolutely necessary.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:28 am

I had a relapse 7 months after my FMT , but all those months I had mostly bad days and very few good days , so I guess I was never cured.

Return to “Too Much Information”