Getting nervous

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Getting nervous

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Well guys, I haven't been this scared in awhile. We are in Vegas with my folks and are supposed to leave in the morning. Anyway, last night I had a few bad cramps and had one soft BM. Felt ok this morning but stomach was burning in the lower areas. I ate breakfast, then right after we ate lunch I had to hurry to the bathroom in the restaurant and had diarrhea. I went quiet a bit, went back to sit down and went again about ten minutes later. We came back to our room and I had to go again. It was pretty watery at the restaurant and when I went in our room and it also had some mucus in it which smelled a little fishy I would say. That's the best I can describe it. Sorry, I know that's gross! I feel like I'm having the chills but my mom said I don't feel feverish. My stomach is still unsettled and I'm terrified right now. I'm worried about the chills but the thing I keep worrying about is the mucus and smell. I've read on the internet that colitis can cause these symptoms. Of course I'm worried about C Diff. It also says to see a doctor if you have more than 5 episodes of diarrhea in a day. So I'm like am I going to be able to make it home tomorrow, or will I have to go to the hospital in Vegas?!! Arrrghhh!!! I guess I'm looking to see if anyone knows if just a virus can cause several episodes of diarrhea, like more than a few a day, and can a virus cause the mucus with the smell also? I know you can't diagnose. But I haven't had diarrhea like this since C Diff!! I am thinking of making an appointment with the gastroenterologist but he gets tired of me. Please pray for me. Thanks!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Getting nervous

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:42 pm

When I was in Vegas in October, I had GI upset as well. Maybe just eating things that are out of the ordinary. I took some Pepto Bismol and was ok by the next day, although I did not have WD.

I would suspect a virus first. Las Vegas has a LOT of people and you are using public toilets, so your chances of catching a virus are greater than when you are at home. Don't panic. I would try some Pepto and see if it helps. It generally helps IBS or other non c diff symptoms. It doesn't do much for c diff though.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi, Steph!

Oh, you poor thing. I am praying you feel better asap. I agree with Beth - don't panic. Try some Pepto. It's been a couple years since you've had c diff and the chances are very, very remote for it to crop up out of the blue. Most likely it's the traveling/eating combo. My friend (he has IBS but never had c diff) just went to Disney with his girlfriend - he had to run to the bathroom like 7 or 8 times one day (all consistencies). From eating the new food/new water/traveling on the plane. It can have different effects on people. As for being a virus - they can definitely last longer than 24 hours. My BFF and her family had an almost-weeklong tummy bug a couple winters ago. D several times a day for a few days in a row. Try to chill out tonight if you can...rest, eat some good-for-the-tummy foods and try not to worry as hard as it is.

Hugs!
Nikki

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks you two! I took some Pepto but I have a feeling the worst isn't over yet. I really wish I wasn't getting on a plane tomorrow. I'll take some more after while. I just don't feel real well and am scared. Sorry for posting twice.
Last edited by Dobies#1 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:51 pm

I know it's hard, but try not to worry. It definitely sounds like it can be a virus. I have gotten stomach bugs with D like you are describing. Sometimes it comes out that end instead of vomiting. It usually comes on quite suddenly as well. Try to eat bland and take the pepto as Beth said, and see if it helps calm things down. It really stinks that when this happens, we immediately go to the worst in our mind. If we never had c-diff before, we would just think it's a virus.

I will pray for you that things calm down and you can fly home without worrying about the D tomorrow. Definitely stay hydrated too.

Hugs to you,
Lisa

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:42 am

Is there a possibility this is nerves? Big family trip is a recipe for anxiety.

I have gotten sick in the UK, Orlando, and other places. The hurry to pack, strange foods, the pressure of everyone getting along and having a good time - the mind does affect the gut,

You have had a rotten couple of years and loads of stress. Like the others, I doubt very much if this is c diff.

Probably no need to be hospitled there unless you get much worse. Pack the back of your slacks with sanitary pads, toilet paper, etc. if you need to get to the bathroom in a hurry, hustle up there. If necessary, talk to a hostess and tell her you just developed food poisoning - no need to go into long explanations - and you might need to use the bathroom quickly.

Take deep breaths. You will be OK. Let us know what happens tomorrow or again tonight. We are here for you,

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:27 am

Praying for you Dobies.I hope it's just a stomach bug and not the beast.

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:37 am

just a thought- if you need to manage the plane ride w/peace of mind, perhaps immodium could help. I know not for long hall, but for a few hours just to help you settle and emotionally relax. I know my doc s all suggested I take on day my daughter got married.I couldn't have been there if I hadn't .Once I was able to settle I was able to sort things out.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:36 am

Imodium hurts my stomach if I take it. Pepto does too but not as bad. I guess it's the Aspirin type stuff in it. I haven't had diarrhea so far since yesterday afternoon. My stomach is noisy and I don't feel real good. But I cried hard and a lot yesterday because my mind goes to the absolute worst like C Diff or even liver metastasis from my breast cancer! I hate it but that's how my mind works. It's 5:30 AM in Vegas and we are getting ready to go to the airport. I just hope I feel like eating something because after lunch yesterday I only ate some bread, a banana and some crackers. I know my stomach being so empty isn't helping. I didn't sleep at all last night. Hoping a lot of it is stress and anxiety but like I said my mind is going crazy!! Thanks for the prayers. Please keep them coming! Love you guys!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:23 am

So sorry to see you worry, and while on vacation!! Once you get home, try and relax a bit, put some relaxation music on ( I love the water ones like rain or the ocean). Hopefully you will start feeling better.
You have been through a great deal, not only CDIFF but also breast cancer and sometimes that fear just takes over.
I always stick to a bland diet and that seems to help. If you were in Vegas one more day I would have told you where to get the BEST Chicken Noodle soup!! I was there last year while on DIficid and could hardly eat. Found a Deli in NYNY that had the best soup, I had it 3 days in a row!

Hope you start feeling better!

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:54 am

Hope you got home OK.

We are thinking of you.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:18 am

Well I made it home and didn't have to use the bathroom on the plane thank God! Stomach still feels rumbly, but I don't really feel bad, so I'm trying to convince myself it's not C Diff. Every time I had that it progressively got worse in just one day, even taking Pepto. I did go this morning and it wasn't normal, but not watery. So if it is/was a bug, or stress, maybe it'll just take awhile for things to normalize.

Return to “Too Much Information”