Too much probiotics?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
jacfran
New User

Too much probiotics?

Postby jacfran » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Today I have been off Flagyl for 7 days and am feeling pretty optimistic. However, I am dealing with some post c diff IBS-like issues. In general, my stomach is gurgley, noisy, and in mild discomfort, especially after I eat in the morning. The mild pain isn’t like the c diff pain, which I describe as a toxic burning sensation. It is more like a gassy, constipation, annoying kind of discomfort. My question really is about probiotics, IBS, and poop.

Let me know if you think this is excessive. Currently I am taking about 3 culturelle and 3 florastore capsules per day (1 of each, morning, noon, night). I am drinking 3 cups of kefir and 3 cups of barley water through the day.

These last 7 days I have been going poop once or twice. Always in the morning after I wake up, and maybe in the afternoon. No diarrhea. BUT, the last two days I have been having really bad gas and am rushing to the toilet. Sometimes I just fart. But more often than not the fart is accompanied by mucus. The thing is, the poop is relatively normal and even the mucus is not like the mucus I experienced with c diff… But the farty-mucus is happening like 3-5 times per day. How’s that for TMI?

So my questions… Do you think I am taking too many probiotics? Can probiotics cause the upset stomach and gas? Is barley water full of fiber like barley is (I can’t eat a lot of barley because the high fiber is upsetting)? I assume the mucus is just my colon healing from the beating it took from c diff. Anyway, I am looking to see if you guys have any ideas to help relieve these symptoms. Tomorrow I plan on 1 culturelle and 1 florastor in the morning and night to see if letting up on those helps. Thanks.

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Re: Too much probiotics?

Postby zinnia1 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:49 pm

Just me personally, but that seems like a lot- at least in my situation. We all tolerate things differently but I find that certain probiotics cause a lot of bloating and IBS types of feelings. I know we all want to get our flora back to where is "should be" but I find it a very tricky science experiment. I can't tolerate florastor like I used to, and am taking a break from Culturelle also and slowly trying something new. I think you are being wise to back off a bit and let things settle.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:33 pm

I agree it's a good idea to back off a bit on the probiotics and see if that helps. Since you are no longer taking an antibiotic that kills the probiotics, you may not need as much now. My husband pretty much has a cast iron gut and, when he had to take antibiotics, I gave him probiotics. He tolerated them fine while on the antibiotics, but as soon as he finished the antibiotic, he started getting diarrhea. He stopped the probiotics and his normal stools returned. Let us know if cutting back helps.
Bea

jacfran
New User

Postby jacfran » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Been a few days now without probiotics. I still have a cup or two of kefir, but I haven' taken anything else. Upset stomach is pretty much gone as of today and the constant gas and mucus appears to be slowing as well. Things are pretty normal at the moment. Guess I was overdoing it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:38 am

That happens to me too with probiotics. Hopefully, you will continue to feel better.

Return to “Too Much Information”