Green, mushy stool

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
jab0066
Regular User

Green, mushy stool

Postby jab0066 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Hello, did anyone have green, mushy stool during active C DIff? I took Flagyl for 5 days last week and my doc wants to do a final stool test next week to make sure that my test was not a false negative. I use the bathroom maybe once or twice in the mornings. The rest of the day, I am gassy, bloated and fatigued.
Justin

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Green, mushy stool

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Other pathogens, including parasites can cause green mushy stool. If you are going to test, test for everything - culture and parasites too.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Justin,
There are lots of reasons that our stools can go funny colors. After C diff, stool patterns and colors are pretty much all over the place. I'm sorry that's not much help--but we've all been there. It's a confusing ride during recovery.
As far as the mushy stool...I had plenty of it after stopping medication. Try to stay calm and use the 'three day' rule. Many times when I swore I was relapsing, the three day rule proved me wrong before running out and demanding tests. Your gut flora takes time to recover and it's usually a bumpy ride. Are you taking probiotics? That and Kefir really helped me in that department.
I was also fatigued for some time after C Diff...it really takes a toll on you. This is not like recovering from a cold or the flu, that's for sure.
You mentioned in another post that your test was a PCR test. These tests are quite accurate (no worse than a 90%). It actually tests for the DNA, so medications will not affect the accuracy. (It will still detect spores and dead bacteria.) The old tests only detected the presence of toxins in your stool and some medications actually absorb or neutralize the toxins. Not only that, the toxins degrade very quickly, so those tests were horribly inaccurate (somewhere around 60%?) Hopefully, this helps your understanding of the testing process...
In your case, a negative is a good sign. (Nothing wrong with re-testing though...follow your doctor's advice.) Re-infection is possible too--your gut flora is still in a weakened state. So follow the hygiene recommendations--you can find all kinds of handy tips all over this site.
Also, Beth has a point--I believe there is a parasite (?) that has green, mushy stool as one of its primary tell-tale signs...so testing for other possible pathogens in addition is good advice.
Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Tonja

jab0066
Regular User

Postby jab0066 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Thank you both for your response. With all the anxiety and fear of C Diff lol, I never even thought of testing for other problems. I asked my doctor, and he agreed to test all possibilities. Although I haven't necessarily been officially diagnosed with C DIff, reading everyone's post has still help guide me in the right direction for testing ideas and other potential issues. I have had a positive PCR for C Diff, then a negative, without a full length of treatment while continuing to experience symptoms. It has been a confusing, stressful two months lol. Hopefully, this final PCR test go around can pinpoint my issue. SMH
Justin

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:27 am

You said "continuing to experience symptoms" but what You describe are not typical c.diff symptoms.
Your gut has taken a beating though, youve taken various meds, had a colonoscopy and worried a lot about the "what iffs"
A negative pcr and a clear colonoscopy means You should be c.diff free.
Theres posters on site that keep on testing month after month and eventualy as with any testing a positive result comes up.
What would you trust as the false result?
All those negatives and the lack of c.diff symptoms or that single positive?
Unfortunatley some posters and even an inexperianced Dr might insist on treating just because of a test result.
Treatments, colonoscopy etc when not really needed all bring problems of their own.
Please realise that if the lab tests solid stool and its positive because the guidlines are being got around by using the smear type of test that you previously used then the result should not be trusted or automaticaly result in treatment.
C.diff is only a disease if it overgrows and produces toxins that result in D
PCR will pick up minute amounts of C. Diff that are being kept in check by your natural immunity and also the strains that are totally harmless and trying to eradicate it is probably harmfull.
All the expert articles say that C. Diff in formed stool is part of a normal gut flora.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:14 pm

I have had positive test results when I had formed stools. I did have other symptoms, but my doctors advised not to treat unless I got D that would not subside. I did not treat and just took some Pepto Bismol when I needed it. A few months later, the test was negative. So, sometimes your own body can take care of this. For others, c diff can test positive all of the time, but unless they have symptoms, there is no reason to treat.

When I first got c diff, I did have some bad symptoms, but not continual WD. Had I known then what I know now, I would not have agreed to take the vancomycin that was prescribed for those symptoms. I would most likely have tried probiotics, Pepto Bismol, or Questran. The GI I had at the time scared me into treating by telling me that I could lose my colon, etc. Needless to say, I switched doctors, but it was already too late because I had taken the vanco and consequently got one relapse after another. I don't know if not taking it would have prevented that, but I feel that I should have tried. When I suggested it to the doctor, he said to take the vancomycin. I checked with my internist and he agreed, so I went ahead. Test results alone should not be used as the criteria of whether to treat or not to treat c difficile. Especially PCR test results.

jab0066
Regular User

Postby jab0066 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks for the info Beth and Roy. I remember you telling me the same thing when I first posted to this website, lol. I was so nervous it was hard for me to wait it out and see what happened. I have had so many doctors throw some many different meds at me that I am not sure what has helped and hasn't. Also, to mention, I had formed, light brown stool this morning without mucus. Hopefully, this a positive sign that maybe I'm on the road to recovery without having to treat. I will try some Bentyl to calm my pain and see if that helps any. Also Beth, my current GI is the opposite of the one you had that treated you quickly. He is a wait and see, I am the one urging for something for relief lol. Maybe, he knows what he is doing. Thanks again for the very helpful info.
Justin

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:40 pm

There is a blood test to test for IBS. Mine was positive. It gives a lot of those symptoms.

jab0066
Regular User

Postby jab0066 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:46 am

I did not know that Beth. I will ask my GI about it after the results of the stool test. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do to treat your IBS that you feel has worked for you? The probiotics are not giving me any relief and sometimes it seems they are making me feel worse.
Justin

Return to “Too Much Information”