C. Diff negative but still D

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
skizamii
Contributor

C. Diff negative but still D

Postby skizamii » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:13 pm

I tested negative for C. diff This week but today has been brutal. I had D no less than 10 times before noon. It was the Same dark Smelly "greasy" stuff it has always been and I'm worried I got a false negative test (although they are rare). It was So bad this morning that I got really weak, had a hard time getting moving, and now I'm really tired and Sore. Have any of you had this after testing negative? I know there is post Infectious IBS, but I would Think that at least the color and smell would change it the toxins are gone.

I should also mention that I tested negative for lactoferrins as well, an indicator of infectious D.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C. Diff negative but still D

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:19 pm

I developed a LOT of food intolerances after c diff. See what you are eating that might be triggering it. Sometimes it is not even what you eat that same day, but a couple of days prior. You might want to keep a food diary for a couple of weeks and see if you see a pattern. You can also try some Pepto Bismol, but check with your doctor first. It usually helps for IBS, but not for c diff.

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm on a low FODMAP diet and have been following it strictly (no diary, gluten, low amounts of sugar, etc). I also take pepto at every meal, so...?

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:19 pm

What does your doctor say or recommend? Have you done testing for any other things that may be causing the D? There are a lot of things on the fodmap diet that I can't tolerate and I'm 6 months out. When I had c diff I started at the very minimum of food: bananas, rice, and plain baked potato and very slowly added things. Personally, I'd try something like that and a food dairy, like Beth22 suggested. I'd also talk with your doc about what they recommend, testing, medications, etc. also ask about testing for c diff 10-14 days post medication, if you're still having D. Another thing to think about, if all tests are normal is benzo withdrawal, D is a very common withdrawal symptom.
Michelle

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:12 am

I looked at the FODMAP diet too and there are foods on there that I don't tolerate. FODMAP is great if you have SIBO or IBS, but it doesn't work as well with post c diff stuff. I saw a doctor who specializes in c diff, FMT, etc. and he said that there are foods on FODMAP that his patients can't eat and it is a very individual thing.

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm actually on low FODMAP but even more restrictive. There are definitely some things on low FODMAP I can't tolerate. I'm on day 3 of enteragam, I'm hoping that helps.

I also realized this morning that Seroquel could be in the equation too. I have had mixed reactions to it at times; historically when I increase the dose I get really depressed, lethargic, and weak. When I decrease the dose my anxiety gets cranked up and I have GI issues. This all started I had dropped from 75 to 50 mg the week prior. I didn't think it was a factor as I had felt ok for the week I decreased, but reading up on it it looks like coming off Seroquel is going to be about as much fun as Klonopin. There is just too much going on to be able to tell what is the culprit and unacceptable that doctors keep pushing new meds on me which only complicates the matter.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:50 pm

My doctor just talked to me about EnteraGam too. He said it takes about 2 weeks to kick in, so give it some time.

Return to “Too Much Information”