An embarrassing question?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: An embarrassing question?

Postby seekingcure » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Zantac is an H2 receptor blocker, not a PPI. H2 receptor blockers are not as effective at reducing stomach acid as PPI's such as Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid; however, they are more effective at reducing nighttime heartburn than the PPIs.

I had taken PPIs for years but had been off of them a few months before I got c-diff the first time. At the time I got c-diff, I was not taking anything for heartburn except Tums and enzymes with meals. After I started on Flagyl and Vanco, the heartburn and reflux got worse again and since then I have taken Zantac, which I don't believe is implicated in causing c-diff, although anything that reduces stomach acid could, theoretically, make you more susceptible to the spores, I would guess. I have also found that enzymes taken before meals or drinking kefir or other fermented foods with a meal can help to keep the heartburn and reflux at bay.
Bea

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Re: An embarrassing question?

Postby Dobies#1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the help! I only had the two episodes of diarrhea. Sorry I jumped the gun! Regarding the Zantac: both my ID doc and GI told me it was safe to take Zantac 150 at night or even twice a day if needed. This was back in January 2014 when I had an upper endoscopy which showed mild gastritis/GERD. I never really had major symptoms, just some pain every once in awhile. I used to take Tums on occasion. But sometimes my stomach burns so I started talking Zantac 75 at night only. It does help so I'll probably keep taking it. Thanks again! Oh and I meant to say I had toast and syrup the other night, not just syrup. LOL!

Return to “Too Much Information”