IBS? Food Question?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

IBS? Food Question?

Postby NikaNik » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Today makes eight weeks in recovery. Very thankful. Haven't been tested because I haven't had 3 or more D in a day but I'm praying it's gone.

Does this sound like IBS? Yesterday I had a normal BM, then not long after had I guess what would be borderline D (small pieces, turned the water cloudy but not full watery). Surprised me because I had been eating SO bland bananas, Kefir, chicken, potatoes etc. I haven't had an episode like that in over three weeks. It happened a few minutes before my hubby and I left to shoot a 15-hour wedding day but I tried to not let it get me down. Went a few hours later - slightly better. Fine the rest of the day and HUNGRIER than I've been in weeks. Like an idiot I ate whatever looked good (how I ate before c diff) - cocktail hors d'oeuvres, two small fried ravioli, a macaroni and cheese ball and two small bagels with a little bit of cream cheese. It all seemed to sit well.

Woke up today to an almost constipated BM, a normal one a few hours later and just now that borderline D again. Did any of you say the heck with it and eat whatever you were craving or should I stick with the bland stuff even though I had the D issue while doing that that came out of nowhere? Also, should I ask for a PCR test or just ride this out?

Thanks, all!
Last edited by NikaNik on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: IBS? Food Question?

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:01 pm

You ate a bunch of no no's for someone who is recovering from cdiff so I would think you really were lucky you didn't get a bunch more D and worse symptoms. If you aren't having watery D 3 or more times a day and feeling really ill you are recovering. The gut takes time and overloading it with greasy fatty food isn't a good idea. I'm sure you are fine, just eat better the next few days.
CAROL

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Congrats on 8 weeks, Nikki! What you are experiencing does sound like typical IBS to me. For the first few months in recovery, I would go several times in the morning, each time being different. The first time would always be the most formed, and the last time being pretty much D. I remember dreading the mornings. But then I would feel great the rest of the day. I think you may have went too much too soon with the foods. That could have been a shock to your digestive system that is used to bland foods. However, if you are feeling good with no pain, I would start to add new foods. Maybe one thing at a time to make sure you are able to handle it. I was pretty lucky that I was able to handle most foods. The only foods that I stay away from still are any leafy greens. They usually go right through me. However, I did eat a salad recently and digested it well. It took me 7 months to be able to digest lettuce. Although that was just one time - I have to try it again. I still try not to eat a lot of sugary and greasy foods though. Everybody is different. You have to eat what you can tolerate. I know eating so bland gets frustrating after a while. I am fortunate that I can eat pretty much normally now, but my BM's still look weird and are always of different consistency every day. Recovery is definitely another crazy phase of this crazy illness! Like Carol said, maybe eat bland again for the next couple of days and see if things go back to "normal". Then if you feel good again, add new foods slowly and see how it goes.

-Lisa

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks, ladies! I think I was just so ticked that I had borderline D after eating bland for soooo long that I said, "The heck with it!" and ate whatever I wanted. After the borderline D yesterday things have been fine (went back to eating bland). Went once today so far and it was formed. Feeling good and hoping for the best. : )

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Today for me is a good example of an IBS bad day. Out of nowhere, I have had D three times today. Of course the anxiety comes flooding back when this happens, but I remind myself that this is most likely just an off day and this can happen. I always use the "3 day rule". I don't feel ill at all, so it most likely is just IBS. I had to go through my annual extensive eye testing today, and they had to dilate my pupils and do all of these annoying, uncomfortable tests, so I'm sure my nerves from that are adding to the IBS as well. As soon as I experience D like this, I immediately lose my appetite. Although I feel ok, I don't feel like eating a thing. I think because my eyes are still messed up is also adding to my lack of appetite. I just feel completely off today. But on a positive note, these days have been far and few between as time has gone on. In my first couple of months of recovery, I had several bad days like this per week. I will eat bland for the next couple of days as well just to get things back on track. I guess my point is that bad days seem to be a normal part of the recovery process. It is definitely a roller coaster ride. I'm glad you are feeling better today, Nikki.

Lisa

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:46 am

Hi, Lisa! So sorry yesterday was a bad IBS day. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me! Makes me feel less alone/crazy. Ha. How are you doing today? Better, I hope. : )

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:35 am

Believe me Nikki, you are not alone or crazy! Or, we are all crazy together! :-) Today is a better day for me. Thank you for asking. I am not completely back to my "new normal" BM, but the frequency and urge to go feeling seems to be gone today. I refer to my "new normal" as my BM's are never the same every day since c-diff. My appetite isn't completely back yet, but definitely a little better now than even from earlier this morning. My mornings always were the roughest for me - during c-diff and even in recovery. When the IBS flares, the mornings are intolerable sometimes. So weird. The recovery process is just as unpredictable as c-diff. So many of us have IBS issues for so long after the c-diff is gone. But on a positive note, as I've said before, as time goes on the bad days have definitely become less frequent and more tolerable to manage.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:34 pm

The clue might be in the name of the first meal of the day, breakfast!
Meaning to break a fast.
That is your stomach is empty after not eating for probably 10 - 12 hours.
Might be worth waking during the night to have a light snack, your stomach would apreciate not bathing in its own juices!
Think like a baby, while your gut flora is growing you might need a night feed

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:02 pm

Lol...never thought of it like that but yea.....a night feed is a good idea. I started eating half an Apple and some Greek yogart before bed time nikki......it has made a huge difference. Listen to Roy.....so far....he has been pretty close on most my problems. He has an extremely good talent at reading between the lines. I hate breakfast but I have found that whether I like it or not.....My gut needs it.....give it a shot......My new thing is sour dough toast and hot tea.......soundspretty gross.....but it makes my insides happy. I love coffee but it causes d pretty quick.....so I do drink it...but I have finally learned what Bobbie tried to tell me long ago.....everything in moderation. Hope you feel better soon......ibs sucks.....but it is still better than cdiff. Hugz girlie.

EsperaL
Brand New Poster

Postby EsperaL » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:47 pm

I have a similar question- I know there can be good days and bad days in the recovery process, but my question is whether this is truly recovery or if it's a relapse. It's been 2 weeks since I've finished Dificid and all has been going well (and my doctor does not recommend retesting for 6 weeks). My BMs- pretty amazing. Generally healthy with an odd turd in there once in a while. Well, today I went more often than normal and had some blood and mucus. Full disclosure: this was after lasagna and beer last night. Yeah, I eat what I want, although I try to limit dairy, last night I was feeling daring. My question for the group is - has anyone experienced blood and mucus during recovery and had this NOT be Cdiff? Can blood/mucus also be a symptom of IBS, or perhaps some sort of irritation? I'm looking for some hope that this is not Cdiff, but want to be realistic. Thanks!

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:52 pm

I'd be suspicious of the lasagna and beer. Maybe try a blander diet for a few days and see if it helps. If symptoms persist or worsen, I'd check with the doc. See CDI forum- ibs and three day rule and also the nutrition post. Might have some helpful info for what to look for and food.
Michelle

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 am

Blood is always concerning. If it was truly blood in stool that you saw you need to call Dr. and see what they say. Since you ate lasagna it could have been a piece of tomato that looked like blood but still, never wait if you have any blood in stool. Definitely eat bland for a few days and see if things improve.
CAROL

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:43 am

I agree with Carol - Blood is always concerning. You usually don't have blood with IBS. Mucus can happen with any inflammation/irritation of the colon, so that isn't as concerning to me. I would definitely check in with the doctor and explain your symptoms. If you aren't having watery D more than 3 times a day, it may not be a relapse. I also agree with the others to eat more bland for a few days to see what happens. Are you taking probiotics? Also with my experience since c-diff, I really think that the infection caused me to have a yeast overgrowth as I had many of the symptoms. I stay away from beer and foods with yeast, as well as, take Florastor (a yeast probiotic with S. Boulardii). I used to get recurring yeast infections quite often. Since changing the part of my diet and taking the Florastor, I haven't had one since being on the Flagyl in September 2014. This is a record for me! I'm not a doctor obviously, but I just wanted to share my experience with yeast. And believe me, I always loved a cold beer, especially in the summer time, but I stay away now. I substitute for a glass of wine. :-)

I hope this isn't c-diff rearing its ugly head again and just some sort of post-infectious flare up. But you should see what your doctor says.

Lisa

Return to “Too Much Information”