Sulfur smell

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
foots
Regular Contributor

Sulfur smell

Postby foots » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Hello; I have actually been feeling better & better as time goes on. Slight cramps on occasion, no diarrhea and tolerance to more foods & drinks.

However, after having a stool that was somewhat looser & had a strong sulfur odor, I'm starting to worry abt c-dif coming back. If it helps, yesterday I had a sausage & egg buscuit, then later, a sandwich, spaghetti, Chick-fil-A, cereal, lemonade.

Please tell me people get this smell after being cured. I'm thinking poop is not supposed to smell like that, but should have almost no smell.

Thoughts?

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Re: Sulfur smell

Postby Misscshell24 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:22 pm

In my unprofessional opinion, I don't think smell necessarily correlates to c diff relapse. Some get a smell with c diff and others don't. I'd personally suspect the foods you ate, egg can leave a smell when passing along with some of the other things you ate.
Michelle

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:29 pm

To put it in simple terms.
YOU HAD AN EGGY FART!!
Simply be proud of it and waft it out the duvet!

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Now I have loose bm's agn and gas. Something is not playing nice. Is it poss to get it after eating something spicy? I was ferling so normal that I thought it was ok. Apparently not.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:43 pm

A lot of folks suffer with IBS after C Diff. I had IBS before C Diff but it's worse after having C Diff. If you do in fact have IBS now you may have to lay off the fatty, fried and spicy foods for awhile. Sometimes my poop stinks and sometimes not so much. Same with gas. If I eat anything with egg in it I get the sulfur smelling gas and poop. It usually doesn't last long though. If you start having multiple watery stools a day, mucus, blood, and start feeling bad then see a doctor and get a stool sample tested. We understand the frustration and fear and I'm sorry you're bowels are off again. You may try to eat a bland diet for awhile and see if it helps. Also I'd stay away from acidic drinks for awhile. Keep us posted. Hang in there!

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:24 am

Thanks, everyone!! Love this forum!!

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:39 pm

Well, now I have nausea & nonstop D. Time to call the dr!! It figures.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Better to be retested in that case.

daisy
Regular User

Postby daisy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Foots,
Let us know how all went.

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:17 am

Waiting for test results. Have constant d now & I am at work & am going to probably get in trouble for leaving my desk a lot :(

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:49 am

Sounds like your Dr should be treating you on the symptoms and not wait for the test result.
Or at least that is what the guidelines say they must do.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:55 am

Foots - I agree with Roy! I would call your doctor! According to your posts, you have had nonstop D and nausea now for more than 3 days. If it's getting worse, unfortunately it could be a relapse. IBS usually improves after a couple of days and doesn't usually get worse with time. Doctors usually treat based on symptoms alone and not stool testing after having an initial bout of c-diff. The doctor knows best, but if you are feeling worse and the D is getting worse, which it sounds like it is, you may need to get a treatment plan in place now.

That's just my feeling on it.
Lisa

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:44 am

I have it again. Vanco 125 4x/day for 14 days instead of 10 days like last time. Seems after a failure w/Vanco, they ought to use Dificid? Left them a msg to ask.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Dificid is supposed to work best as a first-line treatment for c-diff, but very few doctors use it that way because it is so expensive. However, some onsite have been cured with it after Flagyl and Vanco have both been tried and failed. There is an assistance program for Dificid that will help with the cost. If you decide not to go with Dificid, I would ask about a taper/pulse of the Vanco. That is what worked for me the first time I had c-diff. See CDI for info on typical taper/pulse dosing.
Bea

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Nurse said she hasn't seen them do a tapered/pulsed regimen there. I think the 14 days will fail like the 10-day one did. We will see.

Return to “Too Much Information”