does all Cdiff D smell bad?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Douglas7
Regular User

does all Cdiff D smell bad?

Postby Douglas7 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:10 pm

did your c diff smell bad? if so, how bad?

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: does all Cdiff D smell bad?

Postby seekingcure » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 pm

I never noticed any particular smell with c-diff, although many people say they do. When I'm on Vanco, there is almost no smell.
Bea

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:10 am

I did not notice a smell either.
Michelle

MJsSupport
Contributor

Postby MJsSupport » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:36 am

From what I understand, some people are able to smell an odor and some people are not. So I can't say whether all c-diff smells, only that if it does smell, only some people can smell it.

Douglas7
Regular User

Postby Douglas7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 am

Thank you for the answers! I have one more question,did you guys have any stomach pain with Cdiff? and did you have D? if so, how bad was the stomach pain and D? imsorry for the questions, I just a worry wort and would like to know as much as i can about this

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:55 am

Douglas, my diarrhea had a horrible smell, just a sick chemical type smell like a sickly sweet/sour smell. That's the best I can describe it. I had uncontrollable diarrhea with very little notice. I had several accidents in the hospital until the medicine started working. I don't remember my belly really hurting/cramping very much. My anus on the other hand felt like I was crapping razor blades. OUCH!!!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:23 am

I had horrible pain at the start of both episodes of c-diff which improved after starting on Vanco. The first time, I started with constipation and didn't have diarrhea until a couple of weeks later. This second occurrence, had diarrhea when it first started. Everyone is different and symptoms can vary, although profuse, watery diarrhea more than three times a day is the usual presentation. The only way to get an accurate diagnosis of c-diff is to be tested with one of the newer tests like PCR or LAMP before starting c-diff antibiotics.
Bea

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:35 am

I did have the odor with c-diff, which can best be described as an unusual barn like odor. Sorry so gross, but I've read that description before, and it accurately describes my odor as well. I did not have much stomach pain (I was fortunate), but had watery, yellowish D numerous times a day, with mucous. I would say the urgency to go was the worst with the active c-diff. I went at least 20 times per day until the meds started to work. I had an overall feeling of being sick - exhaustion, no appetite, terrible chills and fogginess as well.

Douglas - I really think you need to get properly tested by a doctor. They can even test in the ER. You shouldn't continue to guess whether or not you have this anymore, so that you can be properly treated if you test positive. I know you had said that you submitted stool tests, but they didn't test for c-diff. You should request a PCR test as it's very accurate for testing for c-diff. I am not sure where you left off with your doctors though. Are you being treated with meds for c-diff now? I'm trying to better understand where you are in the process right now.

-Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Douglas

I am going to agree with Lisa, if you go to the ER they will test and treat you, they cannot refuse you care. As you can see, C DIFF symptoms are all over the place. I had Diarrhea 4x in the am only but things settled down on the Vanco. Everyone is different. I still have abdominal pain on and off during my recovery and it is slowing going away. Everyone's timeline is different.
Take care

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:25 pm

If the Dr says you do not have c.diff then you gave to accept that diagnosis and move on.
How old are you?

Douglas7
Regular User

Postby Douglas7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:13 pm

I am 27 Roy and I should give a little update lol I did go to the ER again the other night as you suggested, and the ER doctor told me, that since i have no D, that he couldnt test for the Cdiff, he told me that he thinks I look okay, and appear to be in no medical emergency, but whenever i can I should see a GI Doctor, so thats what im gonna do. I just gotta wait till i get my insurance renewed lol and as for yourquestion Lisa, no I am not being treated at the moment. The Doctors dont think i need to be on meds I guess lol

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:18 am

Some labs will test stool that is not D. Quest is one that I have had experience with that did so. When you see a GI, you can ask about that. I would also ask to be tested for other things, like parasites. There is one parasite that I read about that gives C rather than D, so anything is possible. Best to check out your symptoms if you are still not feeling well.

Douglas7
Regular User

Postby Douglas7 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:05 am

May I ask, why do most labs refuse hard/formed stools for C Diff testing?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:53 am

Because unless you have symptoms, you should not treat just because you test positive for c diff. People can be carriers, but feel fine. So, labs consider formed stools to be normal. Unfortunately, some people will have other symptoms, but have formed stools, so I do think if a doctor orders a test, the lab should do it. Some do, but most don't. People can have bleeding, mucus, nausea and even develop toxic megacolon with solid stools. When the body rids the toxins by having D, it is protecting the person in a way. If the toxins stay in, that is not good. That is why it is not advisable to take something like Imodium when you have c diff. It is better for the toxins to come out until treatment begins.

Labs will test formed stool for a regular culture and for ova and parasites.

Douglas7
Regular User

Postby Douglas7 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:13 am

oh okay. I started noticing symptoms little over 2 1/2- 3 months ago, but the symptoms havent really gotten that bad in the past 2 1/2 - 3 months,so im guessing thats a good sign? lol

Return to “Too Much Information”