does all Cdiff D smell bad?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
jillie
Brand New Poster

Re: does all Cdiff D smell bad?

Postby jillie » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:24 pm

I was hospitalized May 27 for 7 days with c. diff. The odor was awful. I was told by one hospital worker that it seems to have a distinctive odor and that they can tell what it is by the smell. Hope I never have it again.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:36 pm

I bet it depends on the strain. First time I had odor, second time with suspected different strain, no characteristic odor.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Just the opposite with me. First time, no odor, but one particular bad relapse after taking Cipro again, like cow manure.

Brane S
New User

Postby Brane S » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 am

The odor is produced my the toxin. You probably dont have the toxin(s). Your stool can be firm and you can still have c.diff. One test in one lab is not good enough. If you take probiotic and eat healthy your stool can be firm (yellow to brown color) and you can still have c.diff and you can infect someone. You must test your stool in more than one lab and my preference tell them to use the PCR method and to look for c.diff. Most will see the c.diff but because there would be a normal gut flora they will not specify it in the result. C.diff (without a toxin) is present in a lot of people in the gut, if you have a normal bacterial flora and c.diff they count that as "normal". Only PCR can be the right method to test. Everything else ether tests for toxin or for every bacteria. If you have a bad case of c.diff you will notice the smell I am 100% positive. Do not forget to take probiotics daily. Take 3 brands with different strains, one week one brand (strain) other week other brand and so on...

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 am

Brane , this is a very old post , check the date.

Return to “Too Much Information”