Floating stools

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
foots
Regular Contributor

Floating stools

Postby foots » Tue May 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Hello, has anyone had the following before a relapse--sinking stools after meds (now floating again), multiple pieces instead of one long piece?

What abt 1/2 floating & 1/2 sinking? Also seeing small air pockets again, but not the same pungent smell as b4.

Going to gastro doc tomorrow, but just wondered.

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Re: Floating stools

Postby teresajo103 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi foots...I just wanted to tell you that I had fmt in February and my experience has been my stools are still all over the place. Try not to panic too much. I relapsed 3 times...each time I was pretty sick and I knew without a doubt it was back. If it is just consistency that is scaring you....unless you are having multiple bm a day it is most likely ok. Glad you have an appt. Tomorrow.....maybe the doctor can ease your mind. We aren't doctors on here and we can't give medical advice. The only way you can know for sure is to be tested. Good luck at doctors and let us know.

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks much.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue May 19, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi, Foots! I'm only just over five weeks into recovery and my stools were all over the place in the beginning as well - floating, not-floating (sometimes half and half!), brown one day, orange-y the next and then back to brown, sometimes once a day, sometimes four times. And in that 37 days I've had about 3-4 episodes of D in between there that came after formed stools too and went back to formed after that. So try not to worry. I know it's hard being patient (NOT my strong suit!). Let us know how you make out at the GI, and hang in there!

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Foots, I'll tell you a couple of things and these are not to scare you so please don't panic. This sounds like what I experienced before my third bout with C Diff. The second time I had it they put me on the standard 14 day regimen of Vancomycin. I felt ok for about a week, the the next week I experienced constant gurgling and rumbling. It calmed down the next week. Then the third week I started having the funky stools like you describe. That coupled with three or four BM's a day. Then the fourth week is when the diarrhea started and I went to the ER and was diagnosed. This was all when I was taking chemo though. That's the reason I had to be hospitalized. Also, when I started having the symptoms you describe I DID have the C Diff smell, and you do not, so that is good news. With all this said, that was almost two years ago, and I still have what I call combo poops, meaning sometimes they float a little, sometimes there are pieces, mucus, etc. This week I have experienced soft stool and "normal" stool, sometimes in the same bowel movement, and the amount has been huge. I've also had rumbly tummy/bowels and it always makes my anxiety go way up!! This illness leaves many folks with IBS and it can cause similar symptoms. Keep your chin up and let us know what your doc says tomorrow. You will get better! HUGS!!!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Foots - I am 6 months post c-diff, and my stools change day to day. Mine tend to float as well. I read that floating stools mean that you can be gassy, lactose intolerant, have malabsorption issues such as celiac among other things. Prior to c-diff I always had normal stools and no gastro issues. Now, I have food intolerances, along with a gluten intolerance, IBS and stools that are different every day. I don't feel sick and don't suffer from any pain, so I just say this is my new normal. Prior to c-diff, I ate poorly and never took probiotics. Now I eat healthy, stay away from sugary treats and try to eat mainly gluten free. I take 1-VSL3 and 1-Florastor a day. Maybe all of these changes made my stools this way. Who knows really. Try to focus on how you are feeling, rather than what's in the bowl. It's the hardest thing to do, but I think it just takes a long time for your stools to be back to normal or your body may change after undergoing such a terrible infection. You may have a new normal as well. If you get the constant watery D again, and things start to go downhill, definitely see the doctor.

Feel good,
Lisa

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Wed May 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone!! Gastro doc dis some bloodwork & I am going to go back in July & see how my symptoms are. If they are bad, I'll do the stool test again maybe & a colonoscopy.

He prescribed some med to help w/cramps in the meantime. Today, I have had to go twice & it was soft but formed. But I've had some annoying cramps.

Hard to say if it is back or not, but it's too soon to test as the result may be inaccurate.

Return to “Too Much Information”