pseudomembranous plaques

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
susant
Regular Contributor

pseudomembranous plaques

Postby susant » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:08 am

I have a question and not sure if anyone will know but for those that had pseudomembranous colitis caused by cdiff...did you see the plaques actually exit your body in your stool during treatment? I am pretty sure I did but am unsure if that's what it was. I have been researching it and can't find anything stating if they dissolve or exit whole or what. This is probably a medical question but didn't know if anyone experienced seeing the plaques or knowing what they are made up of...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: pseudomembranous plaques

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:19 am

I asked my GI that once and he told me that in all the patients over the years that he has treated with c diff, he only saw one or two with plaques. I am not sure how common they are. I was wondering if they sloughed off and exited as well.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:49 am

My Mom passed what looked like pieces of white skin.
I have heard others that say they did the same.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:35 am

I also passed what looked like whitish transparent pieces of skin along with just water and mucous etc. This was when I finally was admitted to the hospital. I wasn't eating anything and had hardly eaten in weeks so what was coming out was just water and these skin like things. If I wouldn't have had this passing of pieces I don't think they would have tested my stool, I was admitted for the heart palps. etc. and feel I was almost ready to die. A good nurse looked in the bowl after a BM attack with much pain and she was the one who said, I'm telling the Dr. to get a GI consult. They tested and still got an inconclusive result but the Dr. stated he thought I had CDiff and started me on Vanco. After 2 doses I already felt better. The result of letting my CDiff get to such horrible proportions made my recovery take so much longer, this is my opinion. Anyway, GI's have different opinions on everything. It was a GI, after my PCP did a stool test that was neg. for Cdiff that refused to do another test and went on that neg. test. If they wouldn't have admitted me to the hospital that third time in 2 weeks that I went I feel I would have died. I think you can also pass things like this when you are healing, it just depends on how you are feeling when this stuff goes on. I was deathly ill, and passing watery papery tissuey looking things. If you are on meds and feeling well otherwise I would still always check with the Dr. and let them know what is going on with any changes in BM's.
CAROL

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:44 pm

This was last year after I started taking medicine that they came out. They were yellow and hard feeling. I'm not sure what exactly it was. I would have thought it was food but hasn't eaten anything that looked like that. I say that only because a few months ago there was one in my stool that looked and felt the same. However I continue testing negative by lamp and pcr so I just don't know.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Those white pieces that Roy was talking about may not be plaques. I passed those when I did a colonoscopy washout prep before I had a stool transfer and the doctor said it was just tissue from so much D. I had been on vanco for weeks, so the plaques would have been long gone.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Ok so after researching some...I think maybe what I saw is undigested fat. It looks similar to the plaques in the colon but I haven't found anywhere that says the plaques actually come out in the stool.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Some people get malabsorption with c difficile and don't digest fats or carbohydrates that well.

Return to “Too Much Information”