Flatulence that's warm with sulfur smell?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Flatulence that's warm with sulfur smell?

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:52 pm

Ok ladies and guys, first off I want to say I tried to find a similar post but couldn't. So I apologize for posting a new thread again this week. Anyway, do any of you ever have gas that feels warm or hot sometimes when it comes out? I'm talking about flatulence here. Tonight I've been having gas that's warm/hot and it smells like sulfur and the smell lingers a bit. I haven't eaten anything spicy the past few days. I had a tuna Subway sandwich for lunch today but it only had tuna and mayonnaise on it. My mom said mayo contains eggs. So I'm hoping that's all it is. I've been having too many worries already this week and now this! Do you guys think this is anything to worry about?? I've had it before but for some reason I'm nervous this time because of the PTSD CDiff has left me with! UGH!! Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Flatulence that's warm with sulfur smell?

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:58 pm

Yes, I have had that. My doctor said it is a sign of malabsorption, especially of fat. When the food is not digested properly, it starts to ferment. If you have greasy looking stools or oil in the stool it is another sign. Sometimes when there is an overgrowth of undesirable flora it can happen. It happened to me while I was on vanco once, so I know it was not active c diff and it went away when I took a Xifaxan chaser because Xifaxan kills some of the other flora. After taking one day of Xifaxan it left as quickly as it came.

Try to eat a bland diet for a day and see if it improves. If not, call your doctor and tell him or her. Obvioulsy if you get D, then you need to call too.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:03 am

Thanks Beth. My stool isn't greasy or floating. I'm hoping it's just from something I ate and my IBS. I have had it before and it always goes away. Hoping for the same this time too! My stomach has been burning some the past few days so I took Zantac this morning and tonight. My sister has gastritis and she said she gets this sometimes. I do have mild gastritis so maybe that's part of it and also the reason for my stomach burning.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:24 am

I wouldn't worry about gas smells, you had these previous to CDiff didn't you? Its probably the eggs in the mayo but the others gave you good advice. I hope your stomach is better this morning. Gastritis isn't fun. Let us know how you do.
CAROL

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:45 am

Yes I did occasionally have this before C Diff. I may take some Pepto Bismol this morning because I have to drive to Myrtle Beach. My hubby is flying there from Memphis and we are staying until Monday. It's about a four hour drive for me. Thanks for the help and support.
Edit: Do you guys think itchy bottom is anything to worry about? I'be had that off and on ever since my IBS flare last week. My husband thinks I'm crazy worrying about he itchiness and he says everybody's butt itches sometimes!! I know it sounds crazy to worry about that. I don't necessarily "worry" but it's frustrating. It's not itching bad like I want to scratch it but it's there. He also thinks I overdo it cleaning down there. I use wipes and shower a lot sometimes twice a day.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:06 am

Itching can mean so many things. For me, a lot of the times it meant healing as in the hemorrhoids were healing. If you are really concerned ask your Dr. but unless its unrelenting itching its probably nothing. Yeast can make you itch also. Be sure to clean really well after BM's. I used the Balneol lotion per my Dr.s instructions and always made me feel cleaner. Good luck with the trip.
CAROL

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks Carol! I use wet wipes and sometimes have to use 2-3 to get clean. I went ahead and made an appointment with my rectal surgeon who monitored my anal fissure but can't get in until next Thursday afternoon. I have some of the Balneol lotion stuff at home but haven't used it but will try it. I'm thinking of trying Metamucil but I've heard it can interact with some medications. If anyone has more info or experience about this please let me know? I will ask the doc on Thursday but sometimes personal experience is more helpful. I have to wipe several times when I poop and I'm hoping the Metamucil will give me cleaner poops. I've given it to my dogs for constipation before and it leaves no residue when I pick it up with the poop scoop so I'm hoping it will do the same for me. Right now I use Benefiber. Anyway, the sulfur farts didn't last long so I guess that was diet related.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:15 pm

I use Metamucil everyday. I hadn't heard it interacted with any meds but you could check with either your Pharmacist or Dr. about any meds you are on I find it does firm things up and keeps everything moving smoothly. Hope it is something that will help you.
CAROL

Return to “Too Much Information”