Four Days off Dificid - Panicking a Bit

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Re: Four Days off Dificid - Panicking a Bit

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:54 am

It has been more than 2 years since I last tested positive for C. diff (after having it off and on for about 20 months) and I still have soft stools and sometimes the "piles of mush". Those were my symptoms with C. diff also. Like you, I was always wondering if I was relapsing. Unfortunately, for a long time, eventually I would relapse - usually after a month or two after finishing a vanco taper. Finally I took vancomycin for 2 weeks, waited three days, then took dificid for 10 days . A month after that, I had very bad D with B and M, and felt just awful. I collected a sample, and started leftover vancomycin immediately. Much to my surprise, the sample tested negative. My GI doctor said that since I had started the vanco, to continue for 10 days. For me, the D resolved, but the "mush" can turn up for me any time. My advise would be to go by how you feel. If the BM frequency increases, color deteriorates, or B,M reappear along with loss of appetite - then it is time for testing.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks, Research Grandma. I haven't had a real appetite to speak of in weeks (even on the tail end of the Dificid) and I definitely don't have an appetite when I'm anxious (like the last four months of this) so I don't know how much of a symptom that is for me personally. Same thing with the color - some days it's dark, some more orange-y All over the place. I've never had B so for me that would be concerning. But the mucus when wiping I've had from the beginning and my GI says it's typical with IBS and can last for a while.

I shot the wedding today - 10 hours on my feet! But so worth it to see my sweet little cousin (he's 6 feet tall and 30 years old ha!) marry the love of his life. I was so nervous about a relapse the whole time that I ended up using the bathroom 5 times (still no D but not really normal looking either). Pre c diff I always felt like I had to go if I was nervous so that is probably adding to it!

Thank God I shoot with my husband so he understands and is so wonderful about it all. Hardly ate a thing but drank my water. Crazy thing is that one of my cousins couldnt make it to the wedding because...HE HAS C DIFF. Wild!

Just wish I knew for sure if it was gone - but I guess that is part of this. This is so surreal and, like everyone, I just want it to be out of my life already. :/

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:13 am

Do ask your doc about adding a fiber supplement - Metamucul, Citracel, or Benefiber. Should help with the "pieces" situation.

I am not a doc but sounds to me like you are having a normal recovery.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:35 am

Thank you for the advice, Bobbie! You may not be a doc but you sure could have a PhD in c diff by now. Not that you want it! ; )

After not eating much on Sunday, I came home, ate a sweet potato and took a Zofran (one 4 mg pill) for a little nausea. Yesterday was GREAT! Still not much appetite but ate lots more and I didn't need to use the bathroom at all (no complaints there lol). I hadn't taken Zofran in a couple weeks and any time I did before it never caused constipation. Today I woke up to the most healthy looking BM I've seen in weeks. I almost cried I was so happy. Who else would appreciate this as much as my friends here? Ha!

Two questions:

-Is the Zofran (or me not eating much Sunday) causing a little constipation actually a good sign since c diff doesn't care if you've eaten anything or taken Zofran - it would just keep coming, right?

-I saw a little white fuzz thing going on in part of the BM. Could this be from the Florastor since it's a yeast? I've seen similar things off and on and wondered the cause. Or is that a mucus type thing?

Hoping and praying this is full-speed ahead to a great recovery. Hope everyone has a beautiful day!

Nikki

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Im glad you are healing and feeling better! I was actually thinking about you yesterday (since your anxiety sounds much like mine) and said a prayer for you! Lol I don't know the answers to the questions you asked, I'm sorry :/ but my personal experience is that I have seen what appears to be white "things" on the stool and I simply decided it was probably mucus and let myself just let it go! Also, I know what you mean about the excitement of seeing even a somewhat normal BM! You almost want to do a happy dance right there at the toilet your so ecstatic! Or maybe that was just me lol! After 7 weeks of healing I can finally say the anxiety has lessened about the appearance of BMs and how many times I may use the bathroom each day (usually two, but has been 3-4 some days for no apparent reason).

I hope you continue to heal and feel great!!! I love reading about people starting to feel better and see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Aww, Jackie! I can't thank you enough for the prayer. Prayers right back at ya!

Your response brings me comfort. :) I think it was Roy who said (in a different post) that with serious c diff you would be going many times even if you are nothing for two weeks. I definitely remember hardly eating and yet going and going when I first came down with this so the fact that I didn't go at all yesterday made me feel better about the recovery process. Forgive me, if I've quoted you wrong, Roy!

Thanks, again, Jackie! So glad to hear that you're feeling better, too!

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:52 pm

I believe I read that post from Roy, also! And I remember when my infection was at its worst I would use the bathroom even though I had eaten nothing in days. So that much is true I believe lol

Return to “Too Much Information”