recurrence after dificid?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
cdiffmomagain
New User

recurrence after dificid?

Postby cdiffmomagain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Took my last pill 4 days ago and had rumbling yesterday and some M today. Im following up with my GI by phone today and have an appt tomorrow, but was wondering how quickly symtoms return in people who have a recurrence after Dificid. Im also dizzy off again and on again, which I seem to remember at some points during my first fight with CDI, but cant recall when that was.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: recurrence after dificid?

Postby seekingcure » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:52 pm

I am so sorry you are still suffering with this. I can't speak to symptoms after Dificid, because I only took Vanco, but I do know you can have post infectious IBS after any treatment for c-diff and these symptoms can mimic c-diff. So don't panic yet. I just went through three weeks of watery D and thought the worst, but tested negative. Doctor says it's post-infectious IBS. Hopefully you will get some answers at your appointment tomorrow and will soon start to improve. Let us know what the doctor says.
Bea

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I had M and also dizziness post Dificid. I found it a hard drug to take. Don't know if the symptoms were from the Dificid or just IBS. I had M for months afterward but I was on meds for over a year almost non stop so I had horrible IBS and probably no gut flora left. I finally feel better and only have a few symptoms now after almost 2 yrs. post meds. It takes a long time to heal esp when you have a severe case. Good to follow up with the GI. I went to a Colo- Rectal Dr. about the M and he scoped me and finally put my mind at ease about it. He said the CDiff had caused Mucous Colitis and to take Metamucil. It worked for me, in a few months no more M. Hopefully your Dr. can set your mind at ease also. Let us know what he says and hope today is a good day for you. Carol
CAROL

ncmimi4
Regular User

Postby ncmimi4 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 pm

I tested positive exactly 2 months after starting Dificid. I had symptoms for several weeks before a sigmoidoscopy to see what was causing my problems and they found c diff again. So roughly 5 weeks after. Don't know how much you have read on here but the advice to eliminate all dairy is good. Even yogurt or Keifer (sp) was bad. Also could not use probiotics. The Dr. I am seeing now has also had me eliminate gluten. Seems to help. C diff really attacks the system. If you have D please try to get tested. I would have sworn it was just post c diff colitis, boy was I wrong.

cdiffmomagain
New User

Postby cdiffmomagain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Today seemed maybe a bit better. Same number of restroom breaks unfortunately ( all formed but way soft) but less mucous. Dr doesnt want to test right away which makes sense since I just finished the dificid. He recommended a low FODMAP diet, but I'm confused since some of the ogliosacharides and wheat that are eliminated under that diet hve been shown to feed good bacteria. Anyone come across that conundrum too?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Not sure who advised to "eliminate all dairy," but I am wondering about the rationale behind that. Even people with lactose intolerance can generally eat some dairy; some can tolerate certain cheeses, e.g., but not whole milk. I'd suggest caution in cutting out all dairy unless there is a compelling reason, as dairy is a good source of calcium, and as people age a low calcium level can be a problem and may have an adverse effect on bone.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:40 am

My doctor Philip miner MD said to eliminate all dairy. I have explained many times that cdiff can alter the colon in a way that causes intolerance to dairy protein. Lactose is dairy sugar, and lactose intolerance can be handled by switching to lactaid milk or to eating only yogurt or other cultured products. If yogurt and kefir are part of your diet and you still have issues, yes, eliminate ALL dairy for a couple of weeks. It helped me immensely. I have been able to add dairy back to my diet a couple of years out. If calcium is a concern there are supplements for that.

Many people survive without dairy in their diets. Soy milk is great and most soy milks have plenty of calcium.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:58 am

My Dr. also advised to watch all dairy but did say to try yogurt. He said that is the main thing any gut infection does, cause lactose intolerance. I can eat some dairy now but its still hit or miss. Sometimes I eat it and I'm fine. Other times I get ill from it so you have to go slowly. I think most Drs. would advise to steer clear of dairy when in the throes of CDiff. Just my opinion. Carol
CAROL

cdiffmomagain
New User

Postby cdiffmomagain » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Dairy really isnt my main concern with the FODMAP. Im worried more about wheat, inulin, saurkraut, etc... that if I eliminate all these things, the bacteria im trying to build up wont survive. Today started off great but seems to be going down hill. My dr says not to focus too much on M but when thats my main symptom, and it reappears, it is hard to ignore. Any tips to remain calm?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 pm

I wish I had a good suggestion for avoiding the anxiety when dealing with post-infectious IBS. The only thing that really helped the worry to go away was getting a negative PCR test. Also, if you take pepto bismol and it makes your issues go away, it's a strong sign it's not a relapse as well.

cdiffmomagain
New User

Postby cdiffmomagain » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Amy, did you test D? Im not experiencing that and all places where I live say the PCR has to be performed on soft or liquid samples. I really wish I could test. Today seems ok, and Im on day 7 post Dificid. If I can get through the weekend, I think Ill feel more confident.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:05 pm

You know, I've tested all consistencies. My first positive was on formed stool that I had after several days of D, but formed was what I got the morning I submitted the test. I now realize how lucky I was that the lab accepted that sample, because the next morning my symptoms hit really bad--every 15 minutes, M, B, pain, misery. Because my positive PCR test made it to the doctor's office at noon, they prescribed flagyl and I picked it up quickly. The flagyl knocked my sypmtoms down within 24 hours. It was a Friday too, so I don't know how I would have coped for a whole weekend if the lab had rejected my sample because it was the single formed stool I had in a week.

My post-infectious IBS samples have always taken the shape of the container so they have all been deemed "acceptable" by the new lab standards. Hang in there!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:10 am

Cdiffmomagain,
See CDI - C diff Tests - latest info is posted last in this forum.

cdiffmomagain
New User

Postby cdiffmomagain » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:59 pm

I know this is the TMI section and all - - but I'll warn, this is a bit TMI.

Day 13 off Dificid and I felt great today. I mean - GREAT! Unfortunately, tonight, within the past 30 minutes, I've passed small amounts of stool with M & streaks of B too (which isn't very normal for me) THREE times. Some rumbling in the tummy too. Ugh.

I am so disheartened...not only this, but at Christmas too! And - to make it even worse - we lost a son 18 months ago when my water broke at 15 weeks. But I gave birth in January, so this is his first Christmas. I just HATE the thought of being sick for his first one. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Anyone else have M & B post Dificid - and it not end up being a relapse?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:49 pm

If you have internal hemorrhoids that can cause some m and b, but if accompanied by increasing GI symptoms, I would want a c diff test for my peace of mind. I would definitely get in touch with your doctor tomorrow.

Return to “Too Much Information”