Black and tarry stools after c. diff?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
frogerina
Contributor

Black and tarry stools after c. diff?

Postby frogerina » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:19 pm

So just finished my 2 weeks of Vanco, and the D really seemed to resolve after about a week. Am having some residual issues with food (generally NOT hungry, low-level nausea, stomach pain and cramping...what sounds like a usual path through this world of c. diff...). Anyway, today after 4 days of no BM (not surprising, as the "cleanout" of the active phase of the illness seemed...quite effective, and I've really not been able to eat more than broth-based soups and some yogurt), today I've had a couple of black, tar-like, sticky BMs. I've not taken Pepto Bismol or iron supplements, no aspirin or NSAIDS, and my diet has been less than colorful...could this be a small GI bleed, from the angry innards?

I see my primary doc on Friday for a 2-week followup from the hospitalization. The only ongoing meds I'm taking are the Culturelle 2 x daily and Zofran as needed. Can either of these cause black, sticky stools? Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, was it a problem or just a transition, and how did yours resolve?

cfierro
Contributor

Re: Black and tarry stools after c. diff?

Postby cfierro » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi. I have not experienced this but if I were you I would be call Dr. And explain to him what it looks like and how you had no bm's for a few days. I dont think black and tarry are good.

Chrisums
Regular Contributor

Postby Chrisums » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Talk to a doctor ASAP. Black stool is one of the big red flags we all have to watch out for, and while it could be something harmless there is also a strong possibility it is not.

I can think of 3 things that would cause this:

A) pepto bismol. Almost always turns stool black.
B) less common reason, but a diet high in fat and animal protein can do this a bit too... Especially the sticky part. For a while I lived on McDonald's and M&Ms and my BMs looked a little like that.
C) if you aren't taking pepto, and not eating a high fat diet... Then there is a strong chance it could be blood in your upper GI tract. Not a good thing if it isn't looked at. So remedy that and get looked at ASAP.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:57 pm

It could be something you ate. I have dark stools alot and I eat blueberries every morning. When I go a few days and don't eat them the BM goes much lighter so don't panic. If you don't think its food related then it must be reported to the Dr. I think I would call and run it by them anyway, just to ease my mind. Hope you are feeling ok otherwise and have kicked the CDiff. Keep us posted. Carol
CAROL

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Just to be on the safe side, I would solicit feedback from your doctor. Take care!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Culturelle does not cause this. I don't know anything about Zofran. Definitely call the doctor.

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Postby Fire2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Black tarry stools are usually a red flag....you need to discuss it with you Doctor. If it gets worse be sure to let him know immediately. Take a list of everything that you've eaten or swallowed just before the stools started .

Fire

frogerina
Contributor

Postby frogerina » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 am

Thanks for the comments, gang. I wasn't able to move my scheduled appointment up any earlier, but did see the doc today. The black stools resolved after a day, and then things shifted back to a bit scarily loose, but color lightened up. Doc said there may have been a bit of bleeding that resolved itself, but the re-emerging almost-D was concerning, so I'm back on the Vanco... I'm to let her know if I see the black again, touch base early next week to see if the Vanco is settling things back down, and have the number of a GI doc in case things go to heck in the meantime.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 am

Your in the hands of a good doctor. In your case, treating on symptoms alone is appropriate. Keep us updated!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:05 pm

frogerina, I see in your case history that you mention having no appetite and losing a lot of weight. What finally helped me to get my appetite back, after I had lost 27 pounds to cdiff, was Primadophilus reuteri. Of all the probiotics that I took, this is the only one that I can say for sure made a difference. Once I could eat without forcing myself for every bite, I finally stopped losing weight. Also, I ate 6 times a day, small meals, and in between regular meals, I drank Ensure and ate yogurt and kefir (I wasn't lactose intolerant). Good luck.

Riverfox
Brand New Poster

Postby Riverfox » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm

I took a pepto bison caplet for cramping and have black stools now- won’t do that again. I emailed my doctor but she’s home for the night.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 am

That's normal with Pepto Bismol. It's harmless. It even says it happens on the package.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:23 am

MOD NOTE

The poster wrote several years ago but answers still apply.

Return to “Too Much Information”