Son on metro day 9/ 10

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
maery
New User

Son on metro day 9/ 10

Postby maery » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:14 pm

He is 17 months old was on cefdinir when d started. Toxin a and b positive, and high white blood cell count.

He is still breast feeding and currently not eating much food so I am not expecting fully formed stool but there is still a lot of mucous with very loose stool not much water and sometimes m only in his diaper. From what I have seen on here most people have almost normal bm on flagyl, but he still has a lot of m while on it. Is this normal for him to still have m and loose bm?

Doctors don't seem concerned bUT I am worried it is not working. This drug has been hard on him, not eating vomiting, trouble walking one day, daRk urine, I know it is messing with his taste he keeps pulling on his tongue. Doctors don't think drug caused his trouble walking or vomiting, or at least they didn't tell me cause they want me to keep him on it.

He is taking florastor, and flora gen, kefir, Greek yogurt.

I will be so happy when he is off this drug, but scared it is going to get worse.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Son on metro day 9/ 10

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:10 am

If he is not doing well on Flagyl, you can ask the doctor to switch him to liquid vancomycin. There are other children that have been on it and it has fewer side effects. Flagyl is no longer recommended as first line treatment.

maery
New User

Postby maery » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:41 am

Yeah I asked his doctor about vancomycin and she said she has never wrote for it unless child was in hospital. Since today is last day we are going to finish it and pray this goes away. He is still having 3-5 stools a day, but yesterday was better only two and some m. He ate a lot better yesterday too. If this comes back and they want to do flagyl again, I am going to ask to see GI that does FMT in case we get that far.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:39 pm

If it comes back, I would insist on liquid vanco. You have to do a prep with vanco before FMT anyway.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:22 am

I always hate to hear when little children are dealing with c-diff. Poor little guy. I got c-diff after cefdinir as well. It sounds like he is improving, so that is good news. Hopefully he doesn't need another round of meds, but if so, as Beth said, liquid vanco may do the trick. I hope he feels better soon! Hang in there, mom!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:05 am

Only symptoms say if he needs treating now!
A positive stool test after meds does not indicate it's still causing problems so if the Dr wants to test to see if it's gone ask to be referred to an expert.
A positive first stool test in any child under 2 should be treated with caution, Drs are supposed to rule out any other cause before assuming its c.diff causing the symptoms.
I would rethink those probiotics, that's a lot for his gut to cope with.
if your breastfeeding he is probably getting all he needs without the addition of the temporary unnatural additions.

maery
New User

Postby maery » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:41 am

Ok, so he was doing good for a week still going 2-4 times a day but some were very solid, eating better, back to normal behavior. We kept up with probotics until two days ago we tried one day off and stool firmed up, we got in a car accident and skipped another day of probiotics yesterday. Today he has pooped 3-4 times get more and more loose until almost all water.

His diet has been bad, he is very picky toddler so I am just giving him food I know he will eat so he doesn't lose any more weight and can grow! He had sausage and qdoba today and I think the food from lunch (12:30) was out of him by 8pm tonight. I guess this is relapse.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:46 pm

It could be. With someone that young, call the doctor right away. Make sure he stays hydrated.

maery
New User

Postby maery » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Doc Gave questran and antibiotic ear drops for water on his ear. I am not giving him ear drops and he goes back to doctor soon and they will be checked. Doc didn't want to test stool, said if he gave another antibiotic he would be on them for months. He told me to keep giving probiotics and have him on the brat diet until his stool gets solid.

He started pooping less frequently even before I gave the questran and even had a solid one before it went back to very loose. I am giving questran three times a day with food trying to space it as far as I can from probiotics.

He is drinking plenty almost all breastfeeding.

I am going to take him to new doctor or ER, if I can't get him in to doctor, if this doesn't improve. We only have 5 days of the questran. He is not acting like he is sick or in any pain, I think he would be eating more food if I didn't have him on this restricted diet.

I called a nurses line to make sure his black stool was from iron(vitamin) and not blood and she said black blood stool would be very sticky and hard to get off. His wiped away quick and looked just like vitamin does. I am so worried that his food is leaving his body this quick. Nurse said that questran might take a couple days to work and encouraged me to bleach all of his toys. I got most of them, the ones he touches the most.

Another doctor told me before that some doctors don't think you should treat childen this young even if they have symptoms. This helps me feel slightly better about the current approach the doctor is taking and I read on here a boy was cured on questran alone. I don't want him on antibiotics but he needs to get rid of this fast because he will need antibiotics in the future.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 am

Many doctors do feel that is better not to treat a child that young, but you have already treated him and Flagyl does kill a lot of the good bacteria. Even so, if he is not having profuse D and not getting dehydrated, you should stick to what the doctor is telling you. If the Questran works well for him, perhaps the doctor can give you more so that he has time to build up his good flora. Hopefully, you will see improvement after a few days.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:39 am

My littlest guy was 6 months when he came down with C. diff (lots of mucus, some blood, 8+ diapers per day of foul mucus slime poops). The ID had us not treat, and only treated with probiotics; the GI wanted to treat. My son tested negative about 7 months out from the beginning of the infection; and now only poops once per day (Thank God). I'm not sure if the IDs call was the right one or not, we will never know. Praying for you and your baby xo

maery
New User

Postby maery » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:23 pm

Thank you both. He took the questran for 7 days. He has been off the questran for 3 days and only pooped once today, it was a little watery mixed with formed stool but he is improving. He is still taking florastor, Vsl3, greek yogurt and kefir twice a day. I did get an appointment with a ID doctor for tomorrow and I feel like we almost don't need it now, but I am probably going to go just to have him checked out.

I think I got cdiff from him, he had it for about a week before I knew what it was and I wasn't as careful then and I had some loose stool and mucus in it sometimes, but it would go back and forth between the two, I started taking probiotics and drinking kefir and took pepto bismal a few times and I have improved. I never went to the doctor because it kept going back and forth and my husband and mom said it was just from the stress of my son having it. He has other medical issues too which have been worrying me as well.

This disease is so stressful and I feel for all of you, Thank you all for sharing your experiences and helping others deal with this.

Return to “Too Much Information”