For all of those who stay at Hotel/Motels

We have several contributors lincluding AllisS, Nika Nike, and Teresa. Moderators and I can post, and we all do. Others need special permission from the webmaster. Please write a brief and descriptive title header about the hyperlink to identify the information it contains and check to make sure it has not already been posted. If you can't post in this forum, send the information to someone who can. We value all information.
HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

For all of those who stay at Hotel/Motels

Postby HEATHER28 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:00 am

a friend of mine sent this to me in a e-mail. I am posting it here because it was a news storie. Dosent say anything about Cdiff but, you will see way I posted it.

Check this out, pretty gross

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a7f_1194813218&p=1
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 am

For got to mention that it a video. Watch the whole thing. YUCK!!!
Heather

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 pm

shouldn t we really NOT be surprised tho go figures NO one is safe ANYMORE! geeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:27 pm

Ugh, ugh, ugh. Thanks for info, Heather. I just got back from Charlotte & Ashville. (Saw the Biltmore in Ashville - wondeful.) We stayed in a motel in Ashville. They had plastic glasses.

I saw a program on TV a couple of years ago & they concentrated on the bedding in hotels -- how the blankets weren't changed with every new guest, how dirty the carpets in the rooms were, etc. The "pricey" hotels were just as bad as the expensive ones. Now, I always pull down the blanket & wear my bathroom to bed for warmth. Suppose you could also take one of those "light" polyester blankets.

When I stay in a motel/hotel room, I bring Lysol (altho. it's now a "no no" in flight travel) & spray the bedding, the phone, the bathroom, the TV remote or I use alcohol wipes to "wipe down" everything. (Suppose soap & water would be more effective.) I also bring my own pillow case. (I have friends who bring their own pillows & they don't have the health problems I do.) I seldom have maid service make up my room during my stay but always leave a couple of $$$ as a tip. Several times I have asked for clean glasses, however, as I "assumed" they ran all the glasses in the dishwasher.

From now on, I am bringing my own plastic cups!!!

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:11 pm

We stay overnight a lot for my daughter's gymnastics meets. I must admit I am a total germ freak and only drink bottled water.Even at home and when we go out to eat I bring my own bottled water in my pocketbook.I have always been more concerned with what is in the actual water but now I'll have to think even harder. GROSS! I sent the link to my husband who works in another state and stays in a hotel every week. He'll be disgusted but he is not a germaphobe like me and the kids!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:32 pm

Amen to the bottled water. When in another city (even in the US), I always buy bottled water because each city treats its water differently. If I am there a long time, I slowly add in the local water. When overseas, however, I stick to bottled water. I always tell restaurants to leave out the ice in drinks since it is made from local water. We stayed in a beautiful resort in Acapulco, Mexico, years ago, many in our party became ill because they observed the "no local water" rule, but forgot about the ice.

Before I had C. diff. I didn't follow any particular precautions (except during the trip to Mexico), but "Once a C. differ, always a C. differ."

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Bobbie,
OMG my sister is in Mexico right now and untill I read your post I wasnt worried about her. I never even thought about ice!
Heather

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:02 am

This is so ironic. I found this today on AOL concerning restaurant ice cubes.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/12/06/rest ... let-water/

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Know all about the rest including ice if traveling DO RESEARCH about the country water regs etcc.. epidemics food restaurant warnings you can NEVER EVER be to safe traveling to the Middle East My whole family of four made it out ALIVE and well :)

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Just wanted to say "eww". And Bobbie I saw that same special on hotel bedding! If I remember correctly, the Hampton Inn chain got the best ratings for cleanliness, even washed their bedspreads after each checkout (supposedly). Ive chosen them ever since I saw that during my travels...guess I was a closet germophobe even back then...lol. Have a great weekend all...

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:03 am

Yes, ice can be deadly. I read another article about it on airplanes. If you watch the way the attendants "scoop" it out of the ice bucket, you can understand why. This article also mentioned the coffee made on airplanes can be contaminated so I've nixed it.

I buy a big bottle of water after I get through security & drink it & the bottled water -- without ice -- the attendants have. I also have a glass of wine. with the excuse it's hard on bacteria -- & I enjoy wine. Can't give up everything!

My friend sent me a hyperlink similar to Heather's. It's basically the same story:
http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/page ... geId=1.1.1

For additional info., go into "Comments on this story" to the right of the picture.

Kinda "blows" your faith in those glasses with the cute little "caps" on them in some of the finest hotels/motels, doesn't it?

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:29 am

Ok your all freaking me out. I just got back from Disney World and stayed at the hotel for a week. I wouldnt even touch the robe they gave me in the room. We never touched the glasses and always had bottled water but on the plane I had their ice in my bottled water and sprite. They did use a new plastic cup for scooping it out.

Return to “Media Reports”