One-Third of Docs. Don't Wash Their Hands

We have several contributors lincluding AllisS, Nika Nike, and Teresa. Moderators and I can post, and we all do. Others need special permission from the webmaster. Please write a brief and descriptive title header about the hyperlink to identify the information it contains and check to make sure it has not already been posted. If you can't post in this forum, send the information to someone who can. We value all information.
Bobbie
Administrator

One-Third of Docs. Don't Wash Their Hands

Postby Bobbie » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:53 pm

http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/One-t ... 3260432.jp

This is from the UK, but the same applies here.

Stats. are not surprising. OR docs. wash their hands & don't do it well. OR they wash their hands in between patients & then touch the contaminated doorknob to the examining room. OR they use only the alcohol foam which is fine for viruses but not for bacteria.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the ER clinic attached to my medical practice because I thought I had a UTI & was leaving town. The doctor didn't look clean -- greasy hair, etc. I gave her my common spiel:

"And now for the question that endears me to doctors everywhere. Do you wash your hands between patients?"

She replied, "No, it's not necessary & I've been a doc. for 5 years." I replied, "And I have been a patient for 66 years & am at high risk of infection. Please wash your hands." She did-- but grudgingly & not thoroughly.

It's up to US to safeguard our own health & the health of our families when it is necessary. I even contacted the office manager of the practice & offered to give a "brush up course" on handwashing. No go!

Return to “Media Reports”